Proliant 3000 and Fans

Old August 17th 06, 09:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

Default Proliant 3000 and Fans

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...

Nut Cracker wrote:
i posted a link to the illustrated parts guide ... short of ordering and
installing the part myself, there isnt much else I can do to help this
guy.

- LC

I can move around inside of a 3000 blindfolded. When the redundant fans
are installed, the rear fan must be removed (or at least disconnected)
to avoid an error message.

If someone needs some of these redundant fans, I have a box full of
them...and I mean ones that came directly out of scrapped 3000's.

Jeffrey Alsip

i dont mean to sound brash, but I already covered the
disconnecting-of-the-rear-fan-when-doing-redundant-fans gig ...

; )

Nice work keeping up !

- LC

Old August 17th 06, 09:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Adam Raff" wrote in message
Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks

I will get the S/N tomorrow. The big thing that I just could not figure
out or I am seeing it wrong was the fact the on my system the two fans on
the bottom/ IO Fans seem to connect together as one connecter which then
goes into a connector on the lower part of the MB. All the parts that I
saw seem to be only one fan with there own power connecter (The top fans
look like these). It looks to me that I need to buy a two fan setup that
connects as one to the MB. That is the impression that I get when looking
at the setup. If I am wrong then please correct me.

That is the reason why Ambry may not have realized what I am talking about
and they may have gotten the wrong idea from me. Again I am not an expert
which is why I posted this on this site for some insight.

As you said I did not notice a rear fan in the system so what you are
saying makes sense. If you would like I can post pictures of the setup if
that would help out.

Thanks again for all your help
Adam Raff

Please, if you can ... post a LINK to an image, or several images, of this
mysterious fan-thingy you allude to.

- LC

Old August 17th 06, 01:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
i dont mean to sound brash, but I already covered the
disconnecting-of-the-rear-fan-when-doing-redundant-fans gig ...

; )

Nice work keeping up !

- LC

I always lag a little behind you, LC! I'm cool with that. In my
defense, I did (as I like to do) not stop at "just do it" but went on
to explain WHY it must be done. It only took an extra sentence!

I would like to figure out a way to keep the rear fan...but it may not
be possible to use the standard connection, as some bios hacking would
be neccessary to remove that annoying error message. Now, when the
second pair of front fans are installed, they and the rear fan both
suck air in...meaning they now push against each other. However, it is
an east matter to remove the rear fan and reverse it's position, giving
a pull through the front and a push out the back...this would give a
powerful airflow across the CPU heatsinks. I can't believe that the
power this one extra fan pulls can be a problem...and the extra noise
is negligible. What could Compaq have been thinking when they insisted
that installing an extra pair of fans require us to remove one
perfectly good fan and throw it away? We hate throwing **** away!

Now, I do notice that after the server is fully powered up, and booted
into the OS, you can plug in the rear fan without any complaints...the
error message is a function of the initial ROM boot. Perhaps a 12v
relay fired by a signal from the serial port could be used to start the
fan after the boot? Any thoughts on this?

I do love those big powerful fans! Last summer I bought a half a dozen
rack mount 3000's, froma local seller on ebay. I just got them to pull
out the CPU's and memory sticks...but I couldn't resist keeping the
fans and IMD's. That's why I have that box full of fans that I
mentioned earlier.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 18th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Adam Raff

Ok,

This afternoon I opened the system again and crawled inside with a flash
light and you are right. The two connecters are what you said so close that
they looked like one connecter. I noticed that the two bottom ones were
labeled
Fan 4 Red - Black, Yellow and red cable
Fan 3 IO - Cable in black sheath or what appears to be black

The two top ones had something similar
Fan 1CPU
Fan 2 Red

There was a rear fan but the Fan was disconnected and no powered was going
to the Fan

From what I could figure out the Fan 4 Red was not working and I have to
assume that is the redundant Fan which I now know and have the part number
so I can order one.

My last question that I have is, there really a difference between the
redundant fan and the normal fan? Are they interchangeable?

I wanted to say thanks to all of you for your help in this matter. As you
pointed me in the right direction.

Jeffrey and NutCrAcher you are both a great help

Thanks
Adam Raff

Old August 18th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"Adam Raff" wrote in message
news
Ok,

This afternoon I opened the system again and crawled inside with a flash
light and you are right. The two connecters are what you said so close
that they looked like one connecter. I noticed that the two bottom ones
were labeled
Fan 4 Red - Black, Yellow and red cable
Fan 3 IO - Cable in black sheath or what appears to be black

The two top ones had something similar
Fan 1CPU
Fan 2 Red

There was a rear fan but the Fan was disconnected and no powered was going
to the Fan

From what I could figure out the Fan 4 Red was not working and I have to
assume that is the redundant Fan which I now know and have the part number
so I can order one.

My last question that I have is, there really a difference between the
redundant fan and the normal fan? Are they interchangeable?

I wanted to say thanks to all of you for your help in this matter. As you
pointed me in the right direction.

Jeffrey and NutCrAcher you are both a great help

Thanks
Adam Raff

Thanks for that.

Yes, there really is a difference between the standard and hotplug fans. the
regular fans connect to headers on the motherboard, where the hotplug fans
actually snap into a little socket-type connector. That way, you can pop
them in and out without having to stick your fingers deep into the system.

In the meanwhile, you can probably attach the fan at the back and have the
server up and running while you are waiting for the replacement fan.

- LC

Old August 18th 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
Thanks for that.

Ditto

In the meanwhile, you can probably attach the fan at the back and have the
server up and running while you are waiting for the replacement fan.

- LC

If you send me an email, I can ship you a pair of redundant fans for
the cost of shipping. As I already said, I kept them just to keep them.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 18th 06, 04:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
In the meanwhile, you can probably attach the fan at the back and have the
server up and running while you are waiting for the replacement fan.

- LC

LC, I am waiting for your thoughts on the possibility of making all
five fans work. Does my idea of firing the rear fan, via a serial port
connected relay, have any merit? The serial port is rarely used, and I
am certain that I could come up with a simple shell-script to put in
the start-up group under Win2000/2003. I assume that we can abandon ANY
thought of altering the Compaq bios code.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 18th 06, 06:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
In the meanwhile, you can probably attach the fan at the back and have
the
server up and running while you are waiting for the replacement fan.

- LC

LC, I am waiting for your thoughts on the possibility of making all
five fans work. Does my idea of firing the rear fan, via a serial port
connected relay, have any merit? The serial port is rarely used, and I
am certain that I could come up with a simple shell-script to put in
the start-up group under Win2000/2003. I assume that we can abandon ANY
thought of altering the Compaq bios code.

Jeffrey Alsip

Heya Jeffrey ...

I havent ever tried to do any BIOS mods on the proliant boxes, and frankly
doubt its even possible. I've played with editors for Phoenix BIOS on PC's a
while back, but that was too geeky even for me! ; )

you might actually have better luck just splicing the wires from the fan in
the back to one of the front fans which have the header on the mainboard.
Standard 3 pin fans with an extra ground loopback. If you are careful, you
can stuff 2 sets of wires into the molex connector and be on yer way.

The value of actually doing this will likely be minimal ... but we seem to
be the types who do things, not because they are beneficial, but just to see
if we can.

Give it a shot.

- LC