Proliant 3000 and Fans

Old August 16th 06, 03:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Adam Raff

Default Proliant 3000 and Fans

Hi,

I have a Proliant 3000 server Dual 500Mhz system (Non Rack)

The system has two sets of Fans in the Front making a total of 4 Fans. One
of the Fans went South and I would like to replace the fan.

Looking at the Fans I see the set on top which has two cables that connect
to the MB with two connecters. From the picture on the door of the server
these fans are called CPU Fans

On the bottom of those two Fans are another set of fans. These two fans
also have power leads but they come together into one connecter and connect
to the bottom of the MB. These fans show up in the diagram as IO Fans

I spoke to HP about the Fans and they sent me the Fan but it was the wrong
part. The fan that they sent me only had a single power connecter which
would connect to the top fan assembly.

I spoke to a few other people and they all told me that the HP 3000 only has
the top two fans and the rear fan not these double fans in the bottom.

I am looking for what I believe to be two fans that are connect to one power
connecter. If anybody out there knows what I am talking about please let me
know and if you have the part number I would be grateful for any info that
you can give me on this matter. If you would like I may even be able to get
you a picture of the setup if you need it.

Thank You
Adam Raff

Old August 16th 06, 05:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

it sounds like you have the redundant fans installed:

http://www.ambry.com/compaq/pics/pro...ts.asp#chassis

does this look like your unit ?

- LC

Old August 16th 06, 05:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
NuTCrAcKeR

"NuTCrAcKeR" wrote in message
t...
it sounds like you have the redundant fans installed:

http://www.ambry.com/compaq/pics/pro...ts.asp#chassis

does this look like your unit ?

- LC

actually, this should be the exact illustrated parts guide for your unit.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...64-001_ch1.pdf

I find it difficult to believe they would have sent the the wrong fan, since
all 4 of the front fans (when using the redundant kit) are identical. The
only one that is different, is the one in the back. And if you ARE using the
redunant fans, the system wont boot of the fan in the back is plugged in.

- LC

Old August 16th 06, 12:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Adam Raff

Hi NuTCrAcKeR,

I spoke to Ambry yesterday, I bought some old drives for a 1600 from them so
that was how I remembered them. When HP could not give me the parts I
figured I give them a crack. They were the ones that said that the only
fans that came with the system were the rear and the Front. And the system
must have been modified some how.

When the fans went the LCD screen said that the redundant fan went south
which is what I thought but the fan only appear as One in the catalog not
two connected to one power connector which is my problem. I do not know if
this was modified or not by somebody else since I can not find any info on
these parts. It says that both must be connected and they are now hot swap
so that I have to powered down the system. That is it. If you have any
info on this type of connection It would be a great help to me as it seems
that HP and Ambry are stumped.

Thanks
Adam Raff

Old August 16th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Adam Raff" wrote in message
[...]

The system was not modified. The system comes with 3 fans. A CPU fan (top),
and I/O fan (bottom), and a rear fan behind the CPU's. By default, none of
those are hot swappable. There are 2 additonal fans which can be installed
next to the CPU and I/O fans. these are hotswappable.

I cant believe those guys had the nads to claim that the server was modified
in some way. whata bunch of maroons.

The second link i sent to the HP site has the illustrated parts guide, along
with the spare part numbers for the fans you need. Search on those part
numbers, and you will be able to get what you need.

- LC

Old August 16th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Adam Raff" wrote
fan problem

Post the serial number of the server - I'll check the config in my old
QuickSpecs (if I can get it to work) and give you the correct part number
for the fan.

Old August 16th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jez T" wrote in message

"Adam Raff" wrote
fan problem

Post the serial number of the server - I'll check the config in my old
QuickSpecs (if I can get it to work) and give you the correct part number
for the fan.

i posted a link to the illustrated parts guide ... short of ordering and
installing the part myself, there isnt much else I can do to help this guy.

- LC

Old August 17th 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
i posted a link to the illustrated parts guide ... short of ordering and
installing the part myself, there isnt much else I can do to help this guy.

- LC

I can move around inside of a 3000 blindfolded. When the redundant fans
are installed, the rear fan must be removed (or at least disconnected)
to avoid an error message.

If someone needs some of these redundant fans, I have a box full of
them...and I mean ones that came directly out of scrapped 3000's.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old August 17th 06, 01:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Adam Raff

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks

I will get the S/N tomorrow. The big thing that I just could not figure out
or I am seeing it wrong was the fact the on my system the two fans on the
bottom/ IO Fans seem to connect together as one connecter which then goes
into a connector on the lower part of the MB. All the parts that I saw seem
to be only one fan with there own power connecter (The top fans look like
these). It looks to me that I need to buy a two fan setup that connects as
one to the MB. That is the impression that I get when looking at the setup.
If I am wrong then please correct me.

That is the reason why Ambry may not have realized what I am talking about
and they may have gotten the wrong idea from me. Again I am not an expert
which is why I posted this on this site for some insight.

As you said I did not notice a rear fan in the system so what you are saying
makes sense. If you would like I can post pictures of the setup if that
would help out.

Thanks again for all your help
Adam Raff

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old August 17th 06, 05:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Adam Raff wrote:
Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks

I will get the S/N tomorrow. The big thing that I just could not figure out
or I am seeing it wrong was the fact the on my system the two fans on the
bottom/ IO Fans seem to connect together as one connecter which then goes
into a connector on the lower part of the MB. All the parts that I saw seem
to be only one fan with there own power connecter (The top fans look like
these). It looks to me that I need to buy a two fan setup that connects as
one to the MB. That is the impression that I get when looking at the setup.
If I am wrong then please correct me.

Two fans wired to a single connector is something I have never seen in
a ProLiant. The two fans on the top each has a seperate connector that
connect to the motherboard near the top right hand corner. The two
lower fans connect to the motherboard near the bottom right side. If
you look closely at the motherboard you will find these four seperate
three pin connections. The top two fans are labeled CPU Fans and the
bottom two are I/O fans. Now the bottom connections are side by side
and so close together that when two connectors are plugged in they
could easily look like one long connector...perhaps that can explain
what you are seeing.