Graphics card upgrade? help???

Old June 28th 05, 06:36 AM
edrafp

Default Graphics card upgrade? help???

I have been out of the graphics card game for quite some time. I have
a GeForce4 4200Ti, AGP 128MB graphics card. I play CS Sourse and HL2
a lot and i am sure my card is slowing my system down. What would be
worthwhile upgrade of my card for the min amount of money, i only have
about £50 to spend. Also, is PCI express better than AGP 8x???

Thanks
Ed

AMD XP2800+ (11x200=2200mhz 400mhsFSB)
512 MB DDR 400 Samsung PC3200 (Dual Channel)
ASRock K7V88
GeForce4 4200 Ti
Seagate 80GB Barracudda

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia...pict58090.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=293532
Old June 28th 05, 09:07 PM
dawg

"edrafp" wrote in message
news:7_293532_628d4e4e0768e91b2e5a0015b3524737@har dwareforumz.com...
I have been out of the graphics card game for quite some time. I have
a GeForce4 4200Ti, AGP 128MB graphics card. I play CS Sourse and HL2
a lot and i am sure my card is slowing my system down. What would be
worthwhile upgrade of my card for the min amount of money, i only have
about £50 to spend. Also, is PCI express better than AGP 8x???

Thanks
Ed

AMD XP2800+ (11x200=2200mhz 400mhsFSB)
512 MB DDR 400 Samsung PC3200 (Dual Channel)
ASRock K7V88
GeForce4 4200 Ti
Seagate 80GB Barracudda

-- For 50 pounds(don't have the pound sign) or what, $75 U.S. ,your not
going to get much if any improvement. You'll have to do a little better like
an nvidia 5900 or ATI 9800 pro. Even then some newer games like Battlefield
2 will bog down.The Nvidia 6600GT is the swett spot right now but it costs
$160(here in the U.S.) for an OEM card.

Old June 29th 05, 12:06 AM
DaveW

PCI-Express requires a new motherboard on your part, you know. You can only
use an AGP model with your board. And at only 50 Pounds you are not going
to get a video card that faster than your current one.

--
DaveW

"edrafp" wrote in message
news:7_293532_628d4e4e0768e91b2e5a0015b3524737@har dwareforumz.com...
I have been out of the graphics card game for quite some time. I have
a GeForce4 4200Ti, AGP 128MB graphics card. I play CS Sourse and HL2
a lot and i am sure my card is slowing my system down. What would be
worthwhile upgrade of my card for the min amount of money, i only have
about £50 to spend. Also, is PCI express better than AGP 8x???

Thanks
Ed

AMD XP2800+ (11x200=2200mhz 400mhsFSB)
512 MB DDR 400 Samsung PC3200 (Dual Channel)
ASRock K7V88
GeForce4 4200 Ti
Seagate 80GB Barracudda

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
request

Old June 29th 05, 08:32 AM
Stoneskin

left a note on my windscreen which said:

-- For 50 pounds(don't have the pound sign) or what, $75 U.S. ,your not
going to get much if any improvement. You'll have to do a little better like
an nvidia 5900 or ATI 9800 pro. Even then some newer games like Battlefield
2 will bog down.The Nvidia 6600GT is the swett spot right now but it costs
$160(here in the U.S.) for an OEM card.

I would second the recommendation for an AGP 6600GT.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
Old June 29th 05, 08:35 PM
edrafp

"" wrote:
left a note on my windscreen which said:

-- For 50 pounds(don't have the pound sign) or what, $75

U.S. ,your not
going to get much if any improvement. You'll have to do a

little better like
an nvidia 5900 or ATI 9800 pro. Even then some newer games

like Battlefield
2 will bog down.The Nvidia 6600GT is the swett spot right

now but it costs
$160(here in the U.S.) for an OEM card.

I would second the recommendation for an AGP 6600GT.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]

Would a Fx5900 be an upgrade for me from the 4200Ti ??? Would it make
that much difference????

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Nvidia...pict58090.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294046
Old June 30th 05, 09:07 AM
Stoneskin

edrafp left a note on my windscreen which said:

Would a Fx5900 be an upgrade for me from the 4200Ti ??? Would it make
that much difference????

You should see a difference - the FX5900 is a faster card and also fully
DX9 compliant.

Check out http://graphics.tomshardware.com/gra...004/index.html
for a direct comparison between the Ti4200 and FX5900 among several
other cards.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]