Proliant 3000/Win2K Hangs during boot

Old April 4th 05, 04:45 AM
Absolutely

Default Proliant 3000/Win2K Hangs during boot

Have a Proliant 3000 (single 333 CPU, RAID5) that I added an Adaptec 1200
IDE RAID board to. After adding this board, Win2K will not boot unless I
unplug the CDROM from the IDE connector on the MB. With the CDROM
unplugged, everything runs fine.

Old April 4th 05, 07:01 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

First, IDE Raid in that server is not a brilliant idea.
Second, after you added the card, did you update the NVRAM of the server by
running the SCU (System Configuration Utility)?
Third, did you install your driver for the controller before you installed
it ?

- LC

Old April 4th 05, 12:29 PM
Absolutely

First, IDE Raid in that server is not a brilliant idea.

Hey, if it works... besides, for my needs I am not willing to fess up with
the bucks to upgrade/add SCSI drives to this box. It just ain't worth it
(by the time I'm done I could buy a new box and have a warranty).

Second, after you added the card, did you update the NVRAM of the server

by
running the SCU (System Configuration Utility)?

Yep

Old April 5th 05, 01:35 PM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Absolutely" wrote in message

First, IDE Raid in that server is not a brilliant idea.

Hey, if it works... besides, for my needs I am not willing to fess up with
the bucks to upgrade/add SCSI drives to this box. It just ain't worth it
(by the time I'm done I could buy a new box and have a warranty).

Second, after you added the card, did you update the NVRAM of the server

by
running the SCU (System Configuration Utility)?

Yep

Third, did you install your driver for the controller before you
installed
it ?

Yep

Are you trying to boot from this controller ?

Old April 6th 05, 12:42 PM
Absolutely

Are you trying to boot from this controller ?

No. For now it's running fine. When I get some time I'll play with
attaching the CDROM again.

What you have to remember is I bought this box for $50. It has 3 4Gig
drives in a RAID5 and 192Meg RAM. I wouldn't mind upgrading it, but pretty
much all I do with it is file storage for my home office network. I have
MSSQL running on it for some databases I use, but it is not used heavily at
all.

Someday I'll come across someone that has parts for it and maybe I'll do
some upgrading, but I really don't intend to spend much money on it.

Old April 8th 05, 12:34 PM
Absolutely

New York

What are we talking cheap?

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 07:42:17 -0400, "Absolutely"
wrote:

Are you trying to boot from this controller ?

No. For now it's running fine. When I get some time I'll play with
attaching the CDROM again.

What you have to remember is I bought this box for $50. It has 3 4Gig
drives in a RAID5 and 192Meg RAM. I wouldn't mind upgrading it, but

pretty
much all I do with it is file storage for my home office network. I have
MSSQL running on it for some databases I use, but it is not used heavily

at
all.

Someday I'll come across someone that has parts for it and maybe I'll do
some upgrading, but I really don't intend to spend much money on it.

Where do you live?
I am in Northern Virginia. I have one that has 6 drives in it and can
be had cheap!

Old April 8th 05, 03:08 PM
Absolutely

I might arrange something... how much?

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
I am NOT shipping it! That would cost MORE than I am thinking of!!!

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:34:08 -0400, "Absolutely"
wrote:

New York

What are we talking cheap?

Old April 8th 05, 09:03 PM
Absolutely

Email me at

Remove the numbers, of course.

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
news
$25.00 you pick up, I have 6 drives in the machine, set up like this:
a drive 3 1/2 1.44 floppy
c drive 16 gig(this is 2 drives running as 1)
d drive cd drive
e drive 16 gig
f drive 9 gig
g drive 9 gig
h drive 9 gig

When it boots it says that the cpu fan for cpu#2 is missing but it IS
in there! I do have some extra fans and a second power supply that you
can insert into the back, there is currently space for it, it works
fine without it.
It is running Win2k Server, I will leave that on it but offer NO disks
or support! I will show you that it works and then it is yours.
I also have 2 extra drives that are 4.5 gig each.
I also have the Compaq SmartStart for Servers software ver 5.50.
and a cd that says Proliant Support Pack for Windows 2000 that I
downloaded from Compaq. I am not even sure what that cd is for.
It has two 300mhz cpus with 256meg of ram, a network card and of
course a video card. NO monitor, keyboard, or mouse is included.
This is for the machine ONLY.
The machine runs 24/7 so obviously it works fine.

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 10:08:26 -0400, "Absolutely"
wrote:

I might arrange something... how much?

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
. ..
I am NOT shipping it! That would cost MORE than I am thinking of!!!

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:34:08 -0400, "Absolutely"
wrote:

New York

What are we talking cheap?

Old October 19th 05, 08:57 PM
Absolutely

Do you recall the drive configuration in this thing? Still haven't fired it
up yet, but will probably get to it this weekend.

"f/fgeorge" wrote in message
email sent

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:03:17 -0400, "Absolutely"

Old October 20th 05, 09:22 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

"Absolutely" wrote in message
Do you recall the drive configuration in this thing? Still haven't fired
it up yet, but will probably get to it this weekend.

should it matter ? Nuke it and start fresh ... personalize it, make it
yours.

-= LC =-