first build.. problem

Old September 9th 04, 06:40 PM
Christo

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
aha i knew it wouldn't be clean sailing, I have went into the bios
and set the cd-rw/dvd combo drive as primary boot device.. it boots
and as usual displays "booting from ATAPI CD-ROM:"

i open the drive while the system is in post and put the windows disk
in the drive (it isnt original mind) and when it boots from cd-rom
nothing happens... it goes on to say

NTDLR missing

press alt+ctrl+del to restart

the other thing is my drive wont open after it finishes booting from
the cd-rom and apprantly finds nothing there.. the only time it will
open is when the geforece fx5200 graphics card bios are displayed on
screen and then it goes into post etc etc.

whats up.. is it a dud cd-rw/dvd drive.. it can still act as a cd-rom
as i have done it with combo drives before... and the BIOS are
picking it up fine when i check in the boot sequence there?

anyone?

I believe the CD has to be in the drive when you boot up. Are you
hitting the space key to boot from the CD? The error you're getting is
one that comes up with a drive that already has the OS on it.

ah but it doesn't have an OS on it... it has been used as a slave drive in
my other system.. i have just been botting from the primary drive on that
system and i used it to sotre games on.

now i do have the windows CD in the drive but the problem is persisting..
the cd isn't loading or booting.. it is a copy... but i dont see why that
would prevent it from booting.

I dont know why this is happening i never installed an OS on this drive.. i
just plugged it in as slave and started copy and pasting files over to it
from my main C:\ drive where the OS was installed?

weird huh?

I have my cdrw/dvd drive on the same IDE channel as the hard drive... would
it not be better to have the hard drive on ide2 and the cd on ide1? this
could cause a prob i only have one cable lol... i dont think this would
cause it though would it.. more likely a drive thing

or maybe even try a floppy disk windows boot

i am not sure if it is possible but is there a way to format the drive
without having windows installed... it may solve the problem a fresh drive
to work from... i did originally want to format the drive as NTFS and have
been told this is only possible through the windows CD

but i cant get the cd to boot :s???

Old September 9th 04, 06:49 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

The hard drive should be on IDE 1 jumpered as master and the CD/DVD
drive should be on IDE 2 jumpered as master. AFAIK, you can't have both
drives on one IDE channel when installing the OS.

Old September 9th 04, 08:37 PM
Christo

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

ok the hard drive has a blank jumper setting which is ok.. the cd rom is set
to master.. i have the cd rom on IDE2 and the hard drive on IDE1 the cd rom
is primary slave and the hard drive is secondary slave

nothing is available to select in primary master

even so when i insert the cd rom and it claims to be botting from the ATAPI
cd rom nothing happens.. so i figure its a problem with the CD drive... or
the cd... so i have taken some boot floppies from microsh*t and am going to
try them... if these fail then i dont what it is if they succeed and i get
to insert the cd rom and it all works good then i know the cd-rom drive is
busted.. if not then it must be the XP disks which i will need replacing

i hate it when it doesnt work first time ill be on doing this at 12 pm still
(GMT)

if you have any more input on the matter i would appreciate it i dont have a
clue why it wont boot up!

Old September 9th 04, 08:42 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

No, no other ideas, other than to try another CD drive as you mentioned.
For boot disks, including ones for XP, you can get he
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Old September 9th 04, 09:03 PM
Christo

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

the cd drive is working fine now

i have tried the boot disk and got an error on the first disk that figures
huh? i may be forced to create another 6 boot disks for it who knows.. As
for the cd rom and stuff i have the cd-rom set to primary master now.. i put
it on ide 1 (had it on 2 :s) set the jumpers to master... i had the option
to boot from CD appear as it does when installing windows

right after it popped up though the NTDLR bloody thing came up again.. it is
a pain in the backside this.. all i would like to do is format my drive....
i could use partition magic couldnt i?

if i put a partition magic floppy disk into the drive i could format it
through there couldn't i?

or would i need to burn it to a CD and plop it in the cd rom?

Old September 9th 04, 09:19 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

I haven't used Partition magic, so I couldn't say. To be able to boot
from the CD drive and format the hard drive, you must have the hard
drive on IDE 1, set as master and the CD drive on IDE 2, set as master.
Go into BIOS and set CD drive as first boot device (you must have the XP
CD in the drive already), reboot, you should get a message that says
something like "hit space bar (or some key) to boot from CD; otherwise,
after 10 seconds, it will boot from the hard drive. The CD should run
and give you a menu.

Old September 9th 04, 09:29 PM
Christo

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

im ripping the hdd out and cd drive out and doing it all again!!!

Old September 9th 04, 09:43 PM
ICee

Christo wrote:

[snip]
if i put a partition magic floppy disk into the drive i could format
it through there couldn't i?

or would i need to burn it to a CD and plop it in the cd rom?

I haven't used Partition magic, so I couldn't say. To be able to
boot from the CD drive and format the hard drive, you must have the
hard drive on IDE 1, set as master and the CD drive on IDE 2, set as
master. Go into BIOS and set CD drive as first boot device (you must
have the XP CD in the drive already), reboot, you should get a
message that says something like "hit space bar (or some key) to
boot from CD; otherwise, after 10 seconds, it will boot from the
hard drive. The CD should run and give you a menu.

im ripping the hdd out and cd drive out and doing it all again!!!

LOL Hey, first builds are almost always like that.

Old September 9th 04, 10:32 PM
KerplunKuK

Was your old operating system 98 or 95? If so the HDD is FAT32, not NTFS.
Replace the old drive into your first PC, and format it using the win 98
disk or within XP if you have XP. Then replace the drive into the new
system and install from there.

--
Replace [dot] to reply
Bolts 03/04 Stanley Cup Champs
"Christo" wrote in message

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message

[snip]

Old September 10th 04, 01:22 PM
Christo

"KerplunKuK" wrote in message
Was your old operating system 98 or 95? If so the HDD is FAT32, not NTFS.
Replace the old drive into your first PC, and format it using the win 98
disk or within XP if you have XP. Then replace the drive into the new
system and install from there.

--
Replace [dot] to reply
Bolts 03/04 Stanley Cup Champs
Arsenal 03/04 Unbeaten
Rays 03/04 not last in AL East
"Christo" wrote in message

"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:
"ICee" wrote in message
Christo wrote:

[snip]

[...]

never had an OS on it mate it was just used as a second drive while i booted
the OS from the primary in my old system.

anyhow it is sorted now!