NF7-S won't recognize drive on serial ATA?

Old February 19th 04, 05:50 PM
Jon Rose

If that is what it is set to in the bios then it is. Check to see what
devices are selected in the boot order. On the box I'm building I have it
set to floppy first, serial ATA second and CD third. The second was
originally set to IDE.

Jon

"Lumpy" wrote in message
I've tried every possible selection I can think of with no success.
However, when I hook the current IDE boot drive up to the serial ATA
port it recognizes the drive and boots. No other hard drives are
connected. Is it that the serial ATA must be the boot drive?

Thanks
Lumpy

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:57:09 GMT, "Bob Troll"
wrote:

You will want to set the drive jumper/s on the drive so that it is a

SINGLE
drive. Setting it as a master assumes that it will have a slave. This

will
cause problems because it will be searching for a drive (slave) that

doesn't
exist. Make sure you have connected the power cables to it properly and
check to see if you hooked it to the correct sata port on the mainboard.

have heard a story or two regarding the serillel connector not connecting
properly to the 40 pin connector on the drive.

If all that fails to return acceptable results, You may consider hooking

it
up to the main ide controller as a slave, format and all that and then
attempt to move it back to the sata again.

It could also be an issue where the Maxtor drive is not happy with the
adapter. I can tell you that WD drives behave very well with the serillel
adapters for what that is worth to you. I do not know about the Maxtor
drives.

And yes you may have hard drives running on the sata controller as well

as
the onboard standard ide controller simultaneously. Just set the boot
sequence in the bios to the controller containing the boot drive.

The drive on the sata controller will act as a common ide drive if you do
not set up a raid array on it.

I currently have a pair of 120gb sata drives running seperately

(non-raid)
and use the onboard controller for my optical devices.

Regards, Bob "hopelessly insane machine warrior" Troll

"Lumpy" wrote in message
.. .
Well, in the bios under Integrated Peripherals/Onboard PCI device its
says "Select onboard serial ATA IDE Controller Two additional IDE
channels provide the capability of adding high performance device(s)
to the system." And while I can find no mention in the manual of
whether the both can be done simultaneously, this leads me to believe
you can.

Lumpy

On 16 Feb 2004 01:55:41 -0800, (John) wrote:

Lumpy wrote in message

Yes SATA is enabled

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:14:06 -0000, "Doughnut"

wrote:

Have you enabled the SATA in the bios?

doughnut

"Lumpy" wrote in message
.. .
I'm trying to install another HD (Maxtor 160gb)on my system that
already had 2 HD's on one IDE port and 2 CD/DVD drives on the

other.
I'm using the Serillel that came with the mobo and I believe
everything connected correctly. But when I boot up the drive is

not
recognized and the system hangs when trying to load XP. I've

tried
changing the jumper on the drive from master to channel select

with
the same result. What am I missing here? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lumpy

Does it say anywhere than you can run serial ATA and PIO ATA anywhere?
I didn't think you could do both.

Old February 19th 04, 08:07 PM
Lumpy

No actually it is not set to boot to SATA but it seems as though
that's what happens. When I hooked up my boot drive to the SATA it
booted even though it was still set to the 1st IDE drive. (There were
no other drives connected)

Lumpy
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:50:19 -0500, "Jon Rose"
wrote:

If that is what it is set to in the bios then it is. Check to see what
devices are selected in the boot order. On the box I'm building I have it
set to floppy first, serial ATA second and CD third. The second was
originally set to IDE.

Jon

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

Have you enabled the SATA in the bios?

doughnut

.. .

Old February 23rd 04, 04:21 PM
Jon Rose

But you are trying to get it to boot to the SATA drive, correct? (that was a
bit unclear)

If you are trying to boot to SATA then one of the devices in the boot order
in the bios needs to be pointed to it. If you are trying to boot to one of
your IDE drive and just have the SATA along as a slave drive then ignore
what I've said.

Jon

wrote:

If that is what it is set to in the bios then it is. Check to see what
devices are selected in the boot order. On the box I'm building I have it
set to floppy first, serial ATA second and CD third. The second was
originally set to IDE.

Jon

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

wrote:

Have you enabled the SATA in the bios?

doughnut

.. .

Old February 24th 04, 01:43 AM
Lumpy

Yes, I'm just trying to slave the SATA drive

lumpy
]On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:21:58 -0500, "Jon Rose"
wrote:

But you are trying to get it to boot to the SATA drive, correct? (that was a
bit unclear)

If you are trying to boot to SATA then one of the devices in the boot order
in the bios needs to be pointed to it. If you are trying to boot to one of
your IDE drive and just have the SATA along as a slave drive then ignore
what I've said.

Jon

.. .

wrote:

If that is what it is set to in the bios then it is. Check to see what
devices are selected in the boot order. On the box I'm building I have it
set to floppy first, serial ATA second and CD third. The second was
originally set to IDE.

Jon

.. .

wrote:

[...]