Intel's Hyperthreading

Old November 3rd 03, 09:09 PM
~misfit~

Paul wrote:
So, if I was considering a processor upgrade, AMD is still the way to
go?

If you're using AMD now and are happy with them (as I am) then yes. There is
still life in the socket A format yet and their new 64bit CPUs look to be
really good to. (Although not socket A)
--
~misfit~

"DaveW" wrote in message
AMD does not have anything similar yet.

--
DaveW

"Paul" wrote in message
.. .
Is this hyperthreading all its cracked up to be? Does AMD have a
anything similar to compete?

Paul

Old November 4th 03, 01:07 AM
kony

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:58:33 -0000, "Paul" wrote:

So, if I was considering a processor upgrade, AMD is still the way to go?

Paul

You haven't told us what you're currently running, what more you need
of the machine, what's most important to you in a "PC", what the most
demanding jobs are... random manufacturer selection is only good if
you're offended by their competition, instead choose what's most
beneficial to your needs.

Dave

Old November 4th 03, 07:07 PM
Paul

I'm currently using an Athlon Thunderbird 850mhz on an Abit KT7A board.

I've found lately that the newer games need faster hardware so I definately
need to upgrade.

I like AMD and I've never had any problems with them before so I wouldn't be
against buying AMD again.
When I bought my current CPU, it was one of the fastest CPUs available so I
would like to do the same again...get, not the fastest chip but one thats
right up there.

Ideally the chip will be 'future proof' for the next year/year and a half.
I don't know if I need another board but I suspect so so any
recommendations?

Cheers,
Paul

Old November 4th 03, 07:33 PM
kony

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:07:41 -0000, "Paul" wrote:

I'm currently using an Athlon Thunderbird 850mhz on an Abit KT7A board.

I've found lately that the newer games need faster hardware so I definately
need to upgrade.

I like AMD and I've never had any problems with them before so I wouldn't be
against buying AMD again.
When I bought my current CPU, it was one of the fastest CPUs available so I
would like to do the same again...get, not the fastest chip but one thats
right up there.

Ideally the chip will be 'future proof' for the next year/year and a half.
I don't know if I need another board but I suspect so so any
recommendations?

Cheers,
Paul

You don't mention the budget, but honestly I think you'd be better off
not buying near the fastest at any given time then waiting so long
till you upgrade again. An AMD box would be fine for gaming.

You're probably needing a new power supply, memory, (and video card?)
as well, and maybe even extensive case rework or new case to
accomodate higher heat output.

Or, were you talking about an entire system already?

I"m generally in favor of using hardware that's been in the market a
while, had some time to mature and have a few BIOS updates to patch
bugs. Along that line of thought you might consider an Athlon XP2800
and nForce2 motherboard, 512MB or 1GB of PC2700-3200 memory.

It won't be too long till the newer AMD chips are more reasonably
priced, but right now they're not a very good value... depends on how
long you want to wait till the upgrade I suppose, but going with an
XP2800 now would save quite a bit of $, make it more afordable to
update again, sooner than you did with current system.

Dave
Old November 4th 03, 08:53 PM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 19:07:41 +0000, Paul wrote:

I'm currently using an Athlon Thunderbird 850mhz on an Abit KT7A board.

I've found lately that the newer games need faster hardware so I definately
need to upgrade.

I like AMD and I've never had any problems with them before so I wouldn't be
against buying AMD again.
When I bought my current CPU, it was one of the fastest CPUs available so I
would like to do the same again...get, not the fastest chip but one thats
right up there.

Ideally the chip will be 'future proof' for the next year/year and a half.
I don't know if I need another board but I suspect so so any
recommendations?

Cheapest upgrade without much hassle is to get a 2100+ (must be Tbred B
core) or 2400+ and just plug it in your KT7A board. It will default to
2000MHz. 2100+ B core from newegg.com is $62 shipped. See link below for
more info.

Old November 6th 03, 02:00 PM
Phrederick

Just wondering...

When doing the following at the same time, which would be a better choice -
Intel or AMD64?

- Unzipping CDRom image
- Dowloading email
- Scouring newsgroups with BNR2 or NewsBin
- Burning a DVD
- Copying files across 100mb LAN
- Browsing

....lots of mutlitasking going on here, but the bottleneck is actually access
to the hard drive.

Where is the best place to improve response? SATA? RAID? Specific chipset?
CPU type?

"DaveW" wrote in message
AMD does not have anything similar yet.

--