RAM Problem

Old December 27th 06, 12:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Gaurav

Default RAM Problem

Dear all,

My desktop configuration is WinXp Professional -P4--1.70Ghz--256MB
SDRAM PC133 --40GB Harddisk.MotherBoard make is "Mercury"

Now i want to upgrade my ram upto 512MB.

On motherboard there are 4 Slot for Ram.

2 is for SDRAM & 1 is for DDR1 & 1 is for DDR2.

2-128MB SDRAM PC133 is mounted on motherboard,

For upgrading RAM when i am mounting 256MB PC2100-DDR RAM on
Motherboard.OS is not detecting PC2100 RAM. I am connecting this on
DDR1 or even in DDR2 but in both slot it is not detected by Operating
system.

should i have to change any jumper setting on motherboard.
If someone want's any more information about hardware.let me inform.

plz help me on this regards.

with warm regards.

gaurav

Old December 27th 06, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"Gaurav" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear all,

My desktop configuration is WinXp Professional -P4--1.70Ghz--256MB
SDRAM PC133 --40GB Harddisk.MotherBoard make is "Mercury"

Now i want to upgrade my ram upto 512MB.

On motherboard there are 4 Slot for Ram.

2 is for SDRAM & 1 is for DDR1 & 1 is for DDR2.

2-128MB SDRAM PC133 is mounted on motherboard,

For upgrading RAM when i am mounting 256MB PC2100-DDR RAM on
Motherboard.OS is not detecting PC2100 RAM. I am connecting this on
DDR1 or even in DDR2 but in both slot it is not detected by Operating
system.

should i have to change any jumper setting on motherboard.
If someone want's any more information about hardware.let me inform.

plz help me on this regards.

with warm regards.

gaurav

You can't mix ram types. Well, you can, but not in different -slot- types.
You have to use DDR and nothing else, or SDRAM and nothing else. If your
motherboard will support it, you can ditch your SDRAM and just run one stick
of 512MB DDR. -Dave

Old December 27th 06, 02:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Gaurav wrote:
Dear all,

My desktop configuration is WinXp Professional -P4--1.70Ghz--256MB
SDRAM PC133 --40GB Harddisk.MotherBoard make is "Mercury"

Now i want to upgrade my ram upto 512MB.

On motherboard there are 4 Slot for Ram.

2 is for SDRAM & 1 is for DDR1 & 1 is for DDR2.

2-128MB SDRAM PC133 is mounted on motherboard,

For upgrading RAM when i am mounting 256MB PC2100-DDR RAM on
Motherboard.OS is not detecting PC2100 RAM. I am connecting this on
DDR1 or even in DDR2 but in both slot it is not detected by Operating
system.

should i have to change any jumper setting on motherboard.
If someone want's any more information about hardware.let me inform.

plz help me on this regards.

with warm regards.

gaurav

When a motherboard contains two different memory types at the
same time, generally you are restricted to using *one* type of
memory at a time. If you have two SDRAM slots and two DDR slots,
then you can use two SDRAMS *or* you can use two DDR. You
cannot use SDRAM and DDR at the same time. If you have been
mixing them, I hope there is no damage.

This should have been mentioned in the motherboard manual.

To be able to say more about your situation, it would help to
know the motherboard model number, and the chipset being used.
You may be able to get more info by using utilities like CPUZ,
Everest, Sisoft Sandra, or even Belarc Advisor. Or open the
computer, and look for model information printed in white
text, on the motherboard itself.

Maybe a single stick of PC3200 RAM could be used, but without
knowing the chipset, it is going to be hard to know if there
are any size limits to the DDR DIMMs you could use. PC3200 memory
can run at slower speeds, like PC2100.

Paul