Video Card Recommendation/TV Tuner Recommendation for M2N32-SLI DELUXE

Old May 19th 07, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Joe

Default Video Card Recommendation/TV Tuner Recommendation for M2N32-SLI DELUXE

I used to build computers often but haven't in years, and the technology has
changed so much I'm almost tempted to just buy one from a vendor. However, I
want to give it a try.

I am looking at buying the below board from MWAVE.COM with 2GB of RAM. I
don't play games. Most of what I'll be doing is is using office/web
browsing, and making pdf documents from my multi function device.

I'm also interested in buying a tv tuner too.. I want to make sure I buy
items that are compatible. Any suggestions on a particular video card?

Also, is it safe to assume the MSN32-SLI Deluxe has wireless networking
built into the motherboard?

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE nVIDIA nFORCE 590SLI CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM
FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/2xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2,RAID,DUAL
LAN(Gb),1394A,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:AMD - SOCKET AM2)
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5200+ EE - WINDSOR

Old May 22nd 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Stephen

On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:12:36 -0700, "Joe" had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

I used to build computers often but haven't in years, and the technology has
changed so much I'm almost tempted to just buy one from a vendor. However, I
want to give it a try.

I am looking at buying the below board from MWAVE.COM with 2GB of RAM. I
don't play games. Most of what I'll be doing is is using office/web
browsing, and making pdf documents from my multi function device.

I'm also interested in buying a tv tuner too.. I want to make sure I buy
items that are compatible. Any suggestions on a particular video card?

Also, is it safe to assume the MSN32-SLI Deluxe has wireless networking
built into the motherboard?

The wireless is actually a card that mounts on the rear usb header and
the antenna connection sticks out of the rear i/o panel.

ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE nVIDIA nFORCE 590SLI CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM
FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/2xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2,RAID,DUAL
LAN(Gb),1394A,USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:AMD - SOCKET AM2)
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 5200+ EE - WINDSOR

I've been using a DVico FusionHDTV card in mine with XP.

Stephen
Old May 23rd 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Geoff

I've been using a DVico FusionHDTV card in mine with XP.

Those seem like nice cards, however, the problem is the only input with all
HDTV cards is a cable jack. That means the cable must go from the wall to
the card. That also means that you lose many of the cable services and some
channels that are encoded.

I would be much happier if there were a way to go from the wall to the cable
box, then from the cable box to the tv card.

-g

Old May 23rd 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Stephen

On Wed, 23 May 2007 04:57:43 GMT, "geoff" had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

I've been using a DVico FusionHDTV card in mine with XP.

Those seem like nice cards, however, the problem is the only input with all
HDTV cards is a cable jack. That means the cable must go from the wall to
the card. That also means that you lose many of the cable services and some
channels that are encoded.

I would be much happier if there were a way to go from the wall to the cable
box, then from the cable box to the tv card.

-g

Then connect it after the cable box like a tv. Of course any channels
decoded by the cable box will be in SD. Currently no HDTV or SDTV
card can decrypt the encoded channels.

I have an antenna outside pointing to get the local channels. Here in
Brevard county Florida, I just point it to Christmas to get them all.

Stephen
Old May 23rd 07, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Geoff

T-W here has two boxes, one for SD and one for HD. For SD, it is not a
problem to go from the wall to the cable box, and the cable box to the tv
card.

However, for HDTV, the cable box only has dvi (and an audio connector) and
'yPbPr' (requires three cables) as outputs. So, there is no way to go from
the back of an HD cable box to an HD TV card.

-g

Old May 24th 07, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Stephen

On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:51:43 GMT, "geoff" had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

T-W here has two boxes, one for SD and one for HD. For SD, it is not a
problem to go from the wall to the cable box, and the cable box to the tv
card.

However, for HDTV, the cable box only has dvi (and an audio connector) and
'yPbPr' (requires three cables) as outputs. So, there is no way to go from
the back of an HD cable box to an HD TV card.

-g

None that I've found. All the hdtv cards with component video have
them as outputs only.

Stephen
Old May 24th 07, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Stephen wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2007 22:51:43 GMT, "geoff" had a
flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

T-W here has two boxes, one for SD and one for HD. For SD, it is not a
problem to go from the wall to the cable box, and the cable box to the tv
card.

However, for HDTV, the cable box only has dvi (and an audio connector) and
'yPbPr' (requires three cables) as outputs. So, there is no way to go from
the back of an HD cable box to an HD TV card.

-g

None that I've found. All the hdtv cards with component video have
them as outputs only.

Stephen

Did you try a search for "yPbPr capture" ? I cannot promise the
products do anything useful, but at least they mention yPbPr as
an option.

http://www.videoguys.com/pyroAVlink.html

For example, this one sounds too good to be true. I thought the
idea was to restrict what users could record...

http://www.converters.tv/products/co...ducts/282.html

Paul
Old May 25th 07, 02:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Geoff

I prefer dvi (or whatever they use in the future) since it is digital. With
digital, the numbers representing the picture go to the TV.

'yPbPr' is digital to analog then back to digital if you have an LCD.

-g