Adding 2nd HD

Old November 13th 05, 04:59 PM
swarfmaker

Default Adding 2nd HD

Hi All,
I've been trying to had a second SATA hard drive to my Dimension 5000 but am
having problems.
When I enable Disc 1 in the BIOS the computer won't boot up. Ayone any ideas
as to what's up here?
I've logged a call with Dell Support but no reply yet.
TIA
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Old November 13th 05, 07:50 PM
Timothy Daniels

"swarfmaker" wrote:
Hi All,
I've been trying to had a second SATA hard drive to my
Dimension 5000 but am having problems.
When I enable Disc 1 in the BIOS the computer won't boot up.
Ayone any ideas as to what's up here?
I've logged a call with Dell Support but no reply yet.
TIA
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Did you check the HD boot order in the BIOS to see
that the 1st SATA drive was still at the head of the queue?

*TimDaniels*
Old November 13th 05, 09:03 PM
swarfmaker

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"swarfmaker" wrote:
Hi All,
I've been trying to had a second SATA hard drive to my
Dimension 5000 but am having problems.
When I enable Disc 1 in the BIOS the computer won't boot up.
Ayone any ideas as to what's up here?
I've logged a call with Dell Support but no reply yet.
TIA
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Did you check the HD boot order in the BIOS to see
that the 1st SATA drive was still at the head of the queue?

*TimDaniels*

Yes, that is OK. But when I have the new drive plugged in the BIOS can't
identify either drive. It knows they are there but dosn't know manufacturer
or size.
when only the original drive is installed the BIOS correctly identifies it
both by Manufacturer and size.
Any other thoughts?

Iain, in Pudsey,UK

Old November 14th 05, 08:20 AM
Fixer

Try clearing the NVRAM , go into the BIOS and then with cap lock, scroll
lock and num lock on press Alt + E Alt +F and finally Alt + B and hold that
one down untill it reboots, it will then do an auto configure to detect
everything., do you have RAID installed setup enabled in the BIOS?
.. .

Old November 14th 05, 09:14 AM
Hank Arnold

I'm not familiar with SATA drives, but historically with EIDE drives, you
had to be careful how the drives were jumpered. Drives had to be set for
Computer Select.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old November 14th 05, 11:31 AM
dannysdailys

swarfmakerwrote:
Hi All,
I've been trying to had a second SATA hard drive to my Dimension

5000 but am
having problems.
When I enable Disc 1 in the BIOS the computer won't boot up. Ayone

any ideas
as to what's up here?
I've logged a call with Dell Support but no reply yet.
TIA
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Let's start with the obvious, because we all do it and it takes hours
or days to find.

Are you sure your boot drive is in the actual SATA port 1? If it's
plugged into SATA port 2, she'll probably still boot with nothing
else there. If something else is there, you may get just what you're
getting.

Most SATA ports on motherboards are very poorly marked and number 1 is
not usually where you'd expect it. Check it.

If your mobo has built in RAID, did you install the drivers? This
also may be an issue with multiple drives plugged into it; using RAID
or not. I would suspect a Sil 4 port RAID chip would need it's RAID
drivers to work properly with four drives plugged into it.

As far as I know, the RAID drivers must be installed on the Windows XP
original install for a proper boot. There are ways around this, but
I've never found one that works.

Also, I almost forgot; if these are Western Digital Sata's, they have
to be jumpered as "SATA 150 Only." They won't register otherwise.
Again, VERY poorly marked.

That one threw me on my last build, because they're the only SATA
drives I'm "NOW" aware of that need a jumper for anything. That only
took four hours to figure out...

Best of luck

Old November 14th 05, 11:52 AM
Tom Scales

Cable Select

SATA doesn't have any equivalent, I don't think.

Old November 14th 05, 08:00 PM
swarfmaker

"Fixer" wrote in message
Try clearing the NVRAM , go into the BIOS and then with cap lock, scroll
lock and num lock on press Alt + E Alt +F and finally Alt + B and hold
that one down untill it reboots, it will then do an auto configure to
detect everything., do you have RAID installed setup enabled in the BIOS?
"swarfmaker" wrote in message
.. .

Fixer,
Got no joy with your key combinations, nothing happened at all.
As far as I can tell RAID is not installed, in fact I couldn't find any
mention of RAID in the BIOS
Any other ideas?
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Old November 14th 05, 08:06 PM
swarfmaker

Replies interleaved.
"dannysdailys" wrote in message
. ..
swarfmakerwrote:

Hi All,
I've been trying to had a second SATA hard drive to my Dimension

5000 but am
having problems.
When I enable Disc 1 in the BIOS the computer won't boot up. Ayone

any ideas
as to what's up here?
I've logged a call with Dell Support but no reply yet.
TIA
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Let's start with the obvious, because we all do it and it takes hours
or days to find.

Are you sure your boot drive is in the actual SATA port 1? If it's
plugged into SATA port 2, she'll probably still boot with nothing
else there. If something else is there, you may get just what you're
getting.

Tried swapping the C: drive to the second SATA port and it complaned that it
couldn't find the disc

Most SATA ports on motherboards are very poorly marked and number 1 is
not usually where you'd expect it. Check it.

If your mobo has built in RAID, did you install the drivers? This
also may be an issue with multiple drives plugged into it; using RAID
or not. I would suspect a Sil 4 port RAID chip would need it's RAID
drivers to work properly with four drives plugged into it.

As far as I can tell I don't have RAID installed. Why would Dell install it
on a machine with only 1 Drive? But of course I don't have any documentation
for the motherboard.

As far as I know, the RAID drivers must be installed on the Windows XP
original install for a proper boot. There are ways around this, but
I've never found one that works.

Also, I almost forgot; if these are Western Digital Sata's, they have
to be jumpered as "SATA 150 Only." They won't register otherwise.
Again, VERY poorly marked.

That one threw me on my last build, because they're the only SATA
drives I'm "NOW" aware of that need a jumper for anything. That only
took four hours to figure out...

This new drive is a Samsung.
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Old November 19th 05, 02:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Still can't get this drive installed.
Have been in email contact with Dell Support, but might as well have asked
my dog for help.
Nothing they suggest has helped.
Latest advice from them was to visit a site they gave the address for and
look at the documents there to find out how to install a hard drive.
I KNOW how to install a hard drive, ffs I've built enough computers in the
last 20 years.

The system is now locked up and won't boot past the Dell splash screen, see
new thread.

I'm still looking for help on this one.

Regards,
Iain, in Pudsey, UK

Adding AGP Card for 3rd Monitor Paul Robinson Nvidia Videocards 4 December 14th 04 05:01 AM
Adding 2nd drive - worried about heat Si Storage (alternative) 1 November 16th 04 07:48 AM
Adding another hard drive question Hal Homebuilt PC's 3 December 20th 03 06:00 PM
Adding USB 2.0 Curt General 1 December 1st 03 03:47 PM
Advice please on adding more data, use of sessions, vol labels etc Steve Cdr 1 July 10th 03 03:47 AM