HL2 FIX TO COMMON BUGS & CRASHING

Old November 19th 04, 02:19 PM
BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious

Default HL2 FIX TO COMMON BUGS & CRASHING

This is my fix for the following problems:

1. Crashing to menu when loading next section of a map
2. Pink and black checkerboard textures
3. Rainbow spot textures
4. Missing textures - objects are all white
5. Missing sound file messages in the console
6. Too many shader error messages in console (fog errors, etc..)

You have to delete most of the HL2 files from the SteamApps directory and
allow steam to re-download them.

Do this by closing steam, going into the C:\program
files\valve\steam\steamapps directory and deleting these files:

source engine.gcf
source materials.gcf
soucre models.gcf
source shared securom.gcf
source sounds.gcf

Also, go into the "username\hl2| folder and delete hl2.exe

Now, restart steam and launch HL2. This will start Steam downloading. Do not
believe Steam when it says it's done downloading, and DO NOT let it start
the game. Rather, **bring up the Steam Network Monitor** by clicking on the
system tray icon and choosing "monitor", and wait for those downloads to
REALLY reach 100%

I did a defrag on top of this, for good measure. If you have the time, do
it, otherwise not necessary.

This took care of all my bugs, and the game now runs flawlessly with few
errors in the console.

I suspect the problem is a mismatch between the files I actually had, and
the files Steam\Source expected to be using. So, I think Retail version +
Interrupted Steam Downloads are the problem, which is caused mostly by the
fact that Steam lies to you and tells you the downloading is finished long
before it actually is. This means that people are trying to play the game
while game files are still downloading. Inevitably there's a crash\hard boot
which of course causes corruption in the up to 3.5 GB of files you're trying
to download with no real error correction.

FYI my specs
Win 98SE
P4 1.8 not oc'd
Asus P4T
512 MB PC800 RDRAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
SB Audigy

The game runs at 1024 x 768, high shader detail, high shadows, medium
textures, high quality sound. The game itself is fantastic in every way,
which I could clearly see from just a few minutes play, despite all the bugs
and crashing. Now I will take a shower, a ****, have some cereal, and spend
the rest of today in the game. /rubs hands in anticipation.

I hope this post helps out and saves someone out there some frustration.
Have fun with the game.

--
BAMMO

Old November 19th 04, 04:17 PM
redTed

TOSSER

Old November 19th 04, 07:38 PM

"BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" wrote in message
redTed wrote in message
TOSSER

Why am I a tosser? Because of caps lock in headline? That's okay, but if
it's based on the actual content of my post, screw you.

Can't understand what that was about, but.............. I've got HL2
running on my laptop, it's a presario R3000 with 512MB+256MB memory 128MB of
that is being used for the 9000IGP GPU and a Celeron 2.8Ghz CPU. It runs
fine on here, i've had no wierd stuff going on, I even set the textures from
medium to max with no major change in framerate. Maybe you need a complete
system cleanup to fix yer problems instead of changing the program.

Daz

Old November 19th 04, 07:50 PM
redTed

TOSSER

Why am I a tosser? Because of caps lock in headline? That's okay, but if
it's based on the actual content of my post, screw you.

Your forgot to tell everyone to format their hard drives, just in case. And
then wash the memory sticks in Fairy liquid.

Old November 19th 04, 10:16 PM
Blaedmon

I guess this is machine-dependant. I ve had absolutely no problems with the
game and Im using a rather modest machine myself - 2.3ghz 9800pro 512ddr,
nothing flash - game performs great with all on high settings and 4xAA and
8xAF. No lag, ever.

Old November 20th 04, 05:33 AM

Blaedmon wrote in message
I guess this is machine-dependant. I ve had absolutely no problems with

the
game and Im using a rather modest machine myself - 2.3ghz 9800pro 512ddr,
nothing flash - game performs great with all on high settings and 4xAA and
8xAF. No lag, ever.

It depends on how your install went. Did you install from retail?

Old November 20th 04, 07:03 AM
Blaedmon

ya, bought it and updated via steam. Great game, very diverse as far as FPS
goes. Reminds me of FarCry in some places.

Old November 20th 04, 09:22 AM
redTed

I posted a real fix, ****head. It works.

You posted a real fix to virtually any software related problem. It's called
"NoobFix V.1.0"
Dick.

Old November 20th 04, 09:49 AM

"BeingAnonymousMakesMeObnoxious" wrote in message
Can't understand what that was about, but.............. I've got HL2
running on my laptop, it's a presario R3000 with 512MB+256MB memory 128MB

of
that is being used for the 9000IGP GPU and a Celeron 2.8Ghz CPU. It runs
fine on here, i've had no wierd stuff going on, I even set the textures

from
medium to max with no major change in framerate. Maybe you need a

complete
system cleanup to fix yer problems instead of changing the program.

Daz

It runs perfect on my desktop now that I did the fix. Hey, I have the same
laptop as you except a bit better: R3060 with 512MB RAM + 64MB Dedicated
Radeon Mobility 9200 (not IGP). I was wondering how HL2 would run on it.
Doom 3 runs on it, only at 640x480, but that's with all other settings on
high.

I was quite surprised too, I run the Doom3 demo on this thing. Not as quick
as I wanted, so i'll leave that for a while.

Old November 20th 04, 09:52 AM

[...]

Actually, if you know it runs well on the lappy, you might as well play it
on it. Just think, mobile HL2, *drums fingers together like Monty Burns*,
excellent.

lightning strike - should the components be reused rello General 19 May 5th 04 01:03 AM
lightning strike - should the components be reused rello Homebuilt PC's 18 May 5th 04 01:03 AM
Lets get a class action lawsuit against ROXIO!! smh Cdr 63 February 17th 04 11:21 PM
huge bugs in MMC Rob G Ati Videocards 0 December 21st 03 02:58 AM
Constant crashing Patch Homebuilt PC's 1 July 14th 03 11:03 PM