Not A Common Lip-Sync problem

Old May 7th 06, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

Default Not A Common Lip-Sync problem

ATI TV Wonder Pro
MMC 6.13
XP Media Center Edition

When using the TV function to view live video (any input), lip-sync is
noticeably off. Off to the point of making is somewhat unwatchable.
However, when I record the video to an MPG file, the link-sync is just
fine.

Lip-Sync is also fine in Windows Movie Maker, so the problem is
obviously not with the card, or the OS, but with the Multimedia Center
Software.

Anyone experienced this? (Off on viewing but not in the file)

Thanks,

A_C
Old May 7th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

My knee jerk reaction to your problem is that you are watching the video on
the computer monitor and listening to audio over the camcorder speakers.
But, since you did not actually say what the audio or video source was, i.e.
VCR, cable television signal and whatever it is you consider "live" video.
In my video dictionary "live" would mean shooting with a video camera and
feeding that signal to the TV card.

Still, my guess is your are not feeding "live" video to any of the inputs
and are simply experiencing the normal lag between the playback from the
camcorder and picture display on the computer monitor. This is the same sort
of thing that happens when viewers call a television or radio show and the
announcer tells them to turn down the sound - there is always an electronic
lag. Signal does not travel instantaneously over those wires...even in your
little home system.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
386-672-1941 Customer Service
386-672-1907 Technical Support
386-676-1515 Fax

Old May 7th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

On Sun, 07 May 2006 17:36:56 GMT, "Larry Johnson"
wrote:

My knee jerk reaction to your problem is that you are watching the video on
the computer monitor and listening to audio over the camcorder speakers.

Broadcast TV through the tuner.

A_C

Old May 8th 06, 03:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

On Mon, 08 May 2006 05:45:27 GMT, "Larry Johnson"
wrote:

Sound over sound card, or what?

The ATI TV Wonder requires an external connection to the sound card.
Card-out to Line-in. This has been the arrangement with most all ATI
video capture cards for years. I’m acutely familiar with this, as I’ve
been using the All-In-Wonder cards since 1998.

As I previously mentioned, the lip-sync is just fine on the finished
MPG files and in Windows Movie Maker (on-screen and file), so I doubt
it’s a hardware configuration issue. This seems to be limited to the
ATI Multimedia Center software.

A_C
Old May 8th 06, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

news
wrote:

Sound over sound card, or what?

The ATI TV Wonder requires an external connection to the sound card.
Card-out to Line-in. This has been the arrangement with most all ATI
video capture cards for years. I'm acutely familiar with this, as I've
been using the All-In-Wonder cards since 1998.

As I previously mentioned, the lip-sync is just fine on the finished
MPG files and in Windows Movie Maker (on-screen and file), so I doubt
it's a hardware configuration issue. This seems to be limited to the
ATI Multimedia Center software.

A_C

Newer AIW(i.e. 9600) use digital sound with the newer drivers. Changed with
5.4 IIRC.

Old May 8th 06, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

Hey, I was just trying to help tech out the issue. Whether or not this was
an ATI AIW card made not difference to me. Your original explanation left
out many things someone trying to help tech needs to know. No one can
automatically assume you are doing everything properly because you are
"acutely" familiar with the product. If you have been using these cards
since 1998 you have my sympathy.

Your problem could be that you are using your present one on the minimum
system requirements, which is where most people have problems witn any video
capture product. Other than that assumption I would suggest you get
something a little more advanced along with a better computer system.

I am "acutely" aware you don't like what I have said, but what the hell. I
really am "acutely" aware that I don't give a crap!!

news

Old May 8th 06, 07:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

On Mon, 08 May 2006 16:31:59 GMT, "Larry Johnson"
wrote:

Hey, I was just trying to help tech out the issue. Whether or not this was
an ATI AIW card made not difference to me. Your original explanation left
out many things someone trying to help tech needs to know. No one can
automatically assume you are doing everything properly because you are
"acutely" familiar with the product. If you have been using these cards
since 1998 you have my sympathy.

Your problem could be that you are using your present one on the minimum
system requirements, which is where most people have problems witn any video
capture product. Other than that assumption I would suggest you get
something a little more advanced along with a better computer system.

I am "acutely" aware you don't like what I have said, but what the hell. I
really am "acutely" aware that I don't give a crap!!

For someone who apparently doesn't know much about ATI video capture
cards, or the Multimedia Center software, you seem awfully anxious to
chime in. It hasn't been helpful. Particularly since you prefer to
make wide assumptions in place of simply asking questions.

Who mentioned anything about a camcorder? Minimum system requirements?
Is that likely on a system running XP Media Center edition? (Are the
OEM's installing that OS on PII 300's these days?) Just for the
record, it's a brand new 3.2GHz system. Does it make sense to pursue a
hardware configuration issue, when the card is working fine with other
software?

Thanks for trying to "tech out" my problem, but I can't say much for
your powers of deductive reasoning, or troubleshooting strategies.

A_C
Old May 8th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

Saying the words Media Center software does not automatically envoke Windows
XP Media Center. ATI has long called their own software by Media something
or other...If you mean XP Media Center then say that! Aside from that you
stated nothing about your system...so, how is anyone to know what system you
are running on? It could be anything. If you didn't say P4, etc., etc. who's
to know you are using it.

I just call them as I see them. You want tech support for free, but expect
the tech's to be psychic's. So, I am supposed to be deductive with
absolutely no factual information beyond your inept ramblings about out of
sync audio. Look at how long it took for you to actually give system specs
in this matter...what a f**king moron you are.

Old May 9th 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.video.desktop

On 5/08/2006, Larry Johnson posted this:
Saying the words Media Center software does not automatically envoke Windows
XP Media Center. ATI has long called their own software by Media something or
other...If you mean XP Media Center then say that! Aside from that you stated
nothing about your system...so, how is anyone to know what system you are
running on? It could be anything. If you didn't say P4, etc., etc. who's to
know you are using it.

I just call them as I see them. You want tech support for free, but expect
the tech's to be psychic's. So, I am supposed to be deductive with absolutely
no factual information beyond your inept ramblings about out of sync audio.
Look at how long it took for you to actually give system specs in this
matter...what a f**king moron you are.

OK, just for fun, here are the first three lines - the very *first*
three lines - of Agent_C's original post in this thread:

ATI TV Wonder Pro
MMC 6.13
XP Media Center Edition

Nuff said?