Is this a common problem?

Old August 24th 05, 05:06 PM
Gaffer

Default Is this a common problem?

Is it common for the cable on PC speakers to cause the PC to close down
randomly if it is old or damaged? I noticed my PC shutting down at random,
and if I move the speaker's cable with my hand intentionally just slightly
(with the power cable inserted into it of course) that it makes a slight
buzz noise and the PC shuts down. I'm not using the PC with no speakers now
and it seems to be working fine - do you think it's the speakers that were
causing the problem?

--
Gaffer

Old August 24th 05, 05:59 PM
badgolferman

Gaffer, 8/24/2005, 12:06:55 PM,
wrote:

Is it common for the cable on PC speakers to cause the PC to close
down randomly if it is old or damaged? I noticed my PC shutting down
at random, and if I move the speaker's cable with my hand
intentionally just slightly (with the power cable inserted into it of
course) that it makes a slight buzz noise and the PC shuts down. I'm
not using the PC with no speakers now and it seems to be working fine
- do you think it's the speakers that were causing the problem?

Maybe your sound card is not seated properly.

--
"Golf balls are attracted to water as unerringly as the eye of a
middle-aged man to a female bosom." -- Michael Green
Old August 24th 05, 11:36 PM
kony

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:06:55 GMT, "Gaffer"
wrote:

Is it common for the cable on PC speakers to cause the PC to close down
randomly if it is old or damaged?

No, it's practically unheard of. At worse if the cable were
shorting out it might overheat the codec chip or gain stage
opamp (output on the motherboard) though these days those
chips may have overload protection, but it would not shut
off the system, only the sound output.

I noticed my PC shutting down at random,
and if I move the speaker's cable with my hand intentionally just slightly
(with the power cable inserted into it of course) that it makes a slight
buzz noise and the PC shuts down. I'm not using the PC with no speakers now
and it seems to be working fine - do you think it's the speakers that were
causing the problem?

I'd tend to suspect what badgolferman suggested, that your
sound card might be loose, moving around a little. You
might open the case and check on that.
Old August 25th 05, 01:23 PM
Gaffer

wrote:

[...]

I've bought new speakers and it's working fine. These new speakers have an
adapter that goes straight from the plug to the speakers, were as my old
speakers got their power from the PC itself. Perhaps the fault was there.

--
Gaffer

ATI Radeon 8500 problem (or the ViewSonice A90f+ monitor problem)?? T.T. Ati Videocards 0 October 9th 04 07:19 PM
Mouse Problem Jeff Homebuilt PC's 0 October 1st 04 06:44 AM
not the same old B&W problem (I don't think) Brian Lee Ati Videocards 0 July 9th 04 01:15 AM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Really WEIRD problem! TMack Ati Videocards 4 April 12th 04 04:30 AM