Clicking Hard Drive

Old July 24th 04, 10:44 PM
Shadow_>>>

Default Clicking Hard Drive

When I start up my computer I hear a clicking sound from one of my hard
drives. It keeps clicking until the POST transfers the computer to the OS
and the POST startup process takes twice the amount of time that it used to.
XP sees and can access all the drives that I have.

Thanks

Old July 24th 04, 11:11 PM
Andy Foster

"Shadow_" wrote in message
When I start up my computer I hear a clicking sound from one of my hard
drives. It keeps clicking until the POST transfers the computer to the OS
and the POST startup process takes twice the amount of time that it used

to.
XP sees and can access all the drives that I have.

Are you sure it's one of the hard drives? Does it only click during POST?

Old July 24th 04, 11:29 PM
Chamander

Hi,
First of all what is the manufacturer and model of your hardrive and how
old is it?

Most new drivers incoporate little burn in periods, where it starts to
kind of grind or click the first 1000 hours of operation as a safety
mechanism.

If it's really clicking, first back up all your data because it could be
failing. Run the manufacturer utilities and enable s.m.a.r.t monitoring
to see if the hardrive is failing
Hope this helps,
Chamander
Old July 25th 04, 01:08 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Chamander wrote:
Hi,
First of all what is the manufacturer and model of your hardrive and
how old is it?

Most new drivers incoporate little burn in periods, where it starts to
kind of grind or click the first 1000 hours of operation as a safety
mechanism.

If it's really clicking, first back up all your data because it could
be failing. Run the manufacturer utilities and enable s.m.a.r.t
monitoring to see if the hardrive is failing
Hope this helps,
Chamander

1000 hours?! That's nearly 42 days or, if you want it another way, six
weeks! That's hardly a "*LITTLE* burn in period"!! I have *NEVER* had a
drive 'click' for that long (if at all) and, if it did, I'd demand my money
back or a replacement.

Another thing the term is "hard drive" that's *TWO WORDS*, not 'hardrive'.

Old July 25th 04, 02:51 AM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:44:48 -0700, "Shadow_"
wrote:

When I start up my computer I hear a clicking sound from one of my hard
drives. It keeps clicking until the POST transfers the computer to the OS
and the POST startup process takes twice the amount of time that it used to.
XP sees and can access all the drives that I have.

Thanks

Backup data

Run HDD manufacturer's diagnostics

Seek warrant replacment if applicable

Check power supply voltage levels, preferribly with a multimeter.
Old July 26th 04, 07:06 AM
will

What brand and drive ID?
From reading other posts clicking can be several things.
Others can maybe add more things...
-The drive un-parking.
-The drive re-calibrating when it finds an error.

Run a full scandisk
Like kony said... "Run HDD manufacturer's diagnostics" and look any error
codes on google groups and the manufacturer website.
"Seek warrant replacment if applicable" (many
manufactures have made this one year now because of problems... be quick)

Put a $10 case fan on your drives esp. 80gig+ drives

regards,
will
http://www.fileant.com

Old July 27th 04, 05:12 AM
Leadfoot

Your hard drives may need cooling. I had this happen when I disconnected my
front case fan. When i reconnected the fan the clicking went away. I did
have 4 drives stacked one above the other so separating them may help