Dual Layre DVD Writers

Old January 8th 05, 02:53 PM
Mr Digital

Default Dual Layre DVD Writers

Hi all,
Are there any of these drives around which support DVD-RDL format as all i
have managed to locate are the "+" type format for the dual layre discs.

This is of course that i am assuming that "-" format media even exists.

I am asking this as i have a Toshiba DVD Recorder which is not compatible
with "+" media whatsoever.

Phil.

Old January 8th 05, 03:27 PM
Quaoar

Mr Digital wrote:
Hi all,
Are there any of these drives around which support DVD-RDL format as
all i have managed to locate are the "+" type format for the dual
layre discs.
This is of course that i am assuming that "-" format media even
exists.
I am asking this as i have a Toshiba DVD Recorder which is not
compatible with "+" media whatsoever.

Phil.

Check www.anandtech.com and www.tomshardware.com for a recent review of
dual-layer burners and their capabilities - I don't have the correct
link handy. Most new burners have +/- dual-layer capabilities.
www.newegg.com has the NEC 3500A for $65 - one of the most capable and
*reliable current dual layer burners.

Old January 8th 05, 06:26 PM
jacoby

Go here and check off what you need and see what drives match
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters

Old January 8th 05, 06:59 PM
MCheu

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:53:49 -0000, "Mr Digital"
wrote:

Hi all,
Are there any of these drives around which support DVD-RDL format as all i
have managed to locate are the "+" type format for the dual layre discs.

This is of course that i am assuming that "-" format media even exists.

I am asking this as i have a Toshiba DVD Recorder which is not compatible
with "+" media whatsoever.

Phil.

Dual Layer DVD-R isn't on the market yet, at least not in any great
quantities. While the standard for it is finalized, and some
companies are in final testing of their media, I not aware of any that
have officially released their DVD-R DL media into the wild. Earliest
ETA for media and firmware support that I've seen reference of is
February 2005.

As for the burner side of it, while the existing burners support DVD+R
and DVD-R, the only dual layer burn support out there right now is for
Dual Layer DVD+R. When/If DVD-R finally arrives on scene, it's likely
that some of the drives out there will be upgraded via firmware to
work with it. I think that when DVD-R DL finally arrives on scene, it
will have just as many compatibility problems with players as DVD+R DL
does right now.

MCheu
Old January 8th 05, 07:48 PM
jacoby

Here is the latest from Anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2260

Old January 9th 05, 11:27 AM
Mr Digital

Thanks for all your help everyone.
I located a NEC ND-3520 from a local supplier here in the UK for £45.11 i
found it at
www.cclonline.com

Old January 10th 05, 02:53 AM
losl(removethis)

On 08/01/05 06:53, Mr Digital wrote:

Hi all,
Are there any of these drives around which support DVD-RDL format as all i
have managed to locate are the "+" type format for the dual layre discs.

This is of course that i am assuming that "-" format media even exists.

I am asking this as i have a Toshiba DVD Recorder which is not compatible
with "+" media whatsoever.

Phil.

I don't think the media for DVD-R DL is available in the market yet.
If your DVD burner supports Booktype change (eg BenQ DW1620) you should
change the booktype of your DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM to check the result.

Good luck!!

--
Stephen Lo, Vancouver, BC., CA.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or Dual AMD Athlon XP 2800+ SysCold General 9 July 4th 04 03:25 AM
Dual CPU Steve Schooler General 6 March 14th 04 10:53 PM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Interesting thing At CD Freaks - Register article 12x and 16x DVD writers near future and double sized DVD writables - two layers Alceryes General 1 November 4th 03 02:08 PM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM