Upcoming & future Xbox 360 motherboard / chipset revisions aJasper, Opus and Valhalla - The Valhalla to have 65 or 45 nm combined CPU-GPUin 2009

Old February 22nd 08, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Sudsy

Default Upcoming & future Xbox 360 motherboard / chipset revisions aJasper, Opus and Valhalla - The Valhalla to have 65 or 45 nm combined CPU-GPUin 2009

On Feb 20, 12:38 pm, chrisv wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
I even went with component video cables since I couldn't see a
significant
improvement with HDMI. Old eyes? Just cheap? ;-)

I thought you said that you were using an up-converting DVD player.
That is only possible with HDMI.

Are you sure about that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

But perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't want to pay $140 for a 6'
audio/video cable...

You're shopping at the wrong stores.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....473476&st=hdmi
+monster&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=1188558641997
Old February 22nd 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
L D'Bonnie

krw wrote:

They content producers wanted to make more money. They have no
horse in the media race.

Absolutely

Reminds me of the old Beta - VHS battle back in the stone age.
Beta was the superior format. VHS was the discount warehouse cash
cow. You can still buy VHS.

The producers want to make as much as they can. The guy in
Buttfuchs is going to buy the cheapest machine that works in
his trailer.

Speaking of the stone age and cables. They used to charge over
$80.00 for the old Centronics printer cable in the computer
stores. The cables were under $5.00 wholesale. Now there was
a cash cow. Mind you Bubba didn't get a printer in his trailer
for a long time after that.

LdB
Old February 22nd 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

Sudsy wrote:
I even went with component video cables since I couldn't see a
significant
improvement with HDMI. Old eyes? Just cheap? ;-)

I thought you said that you were using an up-converting DVD player.
That is only possible with HDMI.

Are you sure about that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Not 100% sure, twit, but pretty sure, yes.

Next time you post, twit, how about, instead of linking to a huge
Wikipedia article, you clearly post, or point-to, some information
that shows that I'm mistaken? I didn't see any such information in a
quick scan of the article you referenced, twit.

But perhaps I'm not the only one who doesn't want to pay $140 for a 6'
audio/video cable...

You're shopping at the wrong stores.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....473476&st=hdmi
+monster&lp=4&type=product&cp=1&id=118855864199 7

Thanks for proving my point, twit. A store that wasn't trying to rip
you off would not be trying to sell you overpriced "Monster" cable.

Old February 22nd 08, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
chrisv

chrisv wrote:

Sudsy wrote:

chrisv wrote:

I thought you said that you were using an up-converting DVD player.
That is only possible with HDMI.

Are you sure about that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Not 100% sure, twit, but pretty sure, yes.

Next time you post, twit, how about, instead of linking to a huge
Wikipedia article, you clearly post, or point-to, some information
that shows that I'm mistaken? I didn't see any such information in a
quick scan of the article you referenced, twit.

Maybe I should point-out to the "Sudsy" twit, and any lurkers, that
the fact that component-video cables can easily handle HD-quality
signals does not mean that upsampling DVD players will send upsampled
video out of their component-video outputs.

Every time I've seen the upsampling feature advertised, they
specifically say that this feature is only available via the HDMI
output. I believe this limitation is designed-into the players for
some silly copy-protection reason. Perhaps there exists, somewhere, a
player that can upsample DVD and send the upsampled signal out the
component-video jacks, but I have not heard of it.

If "Sudsy" has such a player, he could simply say "mine will do it
with the component video outputs" and link to online documentation for
his player that proves his claim. Instead "Sudsy" decided to be a
stupid twit and post a link to a generic component-video article.

Old February 23rd 08, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
krw[_4_]

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:

They content producers wanted to make more money. They have no
horse in the media race.

Absolutely

Reminds me of the old Beta - VHS battle back in the stone age.
Beta was the superior format. VHS was the discount warehouse cash
cow. You can still buy VHS.

Beta's superiority is quite arguable. In the most important ways,
VHS was superior. The market spoke, and loudly.

The producers want to make as much as they can. The guy in
Buttfuchs is going to buy the cheapest machine that works in
his trailer.

A lot of that, but remember, blank tapes were $20+ each. A two-hour
VHS tape would record a movie. A one-hour Beta wouldn't.

Speaking of the stone age and cables. They used to charge over
$80.00 for the old Centronics printer cable in the computer
stores. The cables were under $5.00 wholesale. Now there was
a cash cow. Mind you Bubba didn't get a printer in his trailer
for a long time after that.

I'm convinced the "super stores" make $0 on electronics, then make
up for it with the useless warranty and obsceney priced cables.

--
Keith
Old February 23rd 08, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
krw[_4_]

In article ,
lid says...
chrisv wrote:

snip

Every time I've seen the upsampling feature advertised, they
specifically say that this feature is only available via the HDMI
output. I believe this limitation is designed-into the players for
some silly copy-protection reason. Perhaps there exists, somewhere, a
player that can upsample DVD and send the upsampled signal out the
component-video jacks, but I have not heard of it.

Maybe. Hauppauge recently announced a USB dongle HD recorder that
will record from component video. I think they want $250 for it
(sounds like a plan .

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?
ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080110006038&newsLang =en

snip

--
Keith
Old February 23rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Jim Beard

L D'Bonnie wrote:
krw wrote:
They content producers wanted to make more money. They have no horse
in the media race.

Absolutely

Reminds me of the old Beta - VHS battle back in the stone age.
Beta was the superior format. VHS was the discount warehouse cash
cow. You can still buy VHS.

The Beta-VHS "battle" was a squabble between the established
Japanese company-group companies (Hitachi, Mitsubishi,
Toshiba, etc) who had no intention of paying upstart Sony's
price for its technology, and Sony who was proud of its
technology and its international-focus character (name derived
from Sonus, a distinctly un-Japanese etymology) and wanted
credit (and cash) for its accomplishments.

The big guys simply sold VHS at a loss until they swamped
the market. The cost of that was significant, and other
companies in the industry outside Japan took note of the
Japanese behavior. That cost the "winners" even more,
over time.

This time, Sony gets credit (and money) for its work.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user-unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Old February 27th 08, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nate Edel

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips krw wrote:
In article ,
says...
Videophiles certainly will pay big bux for BluRay, and *some* more will if
in fact HD-DVD is dead and the format war is over. Many other people will
probably end up only getting BluRay players when/if they're enough cheaper
that it's a "why not get the better one?" decision: unlike Beta or
Laserdisk, BR players will still play regular DVDs.

Sure, but the marginal cost of the BR player has to be close to zero
for that to happen.

Yes... well, not /necessarily/ zero, but in whatever people find impluse
purchase territory to be.

Also, for many people the marginal cost should probably be relative to a
*nice brand* DVD player (ie, Sony/Panasonic) which is still around $80-100,
rather than the $20-40 Cyberhome/Apex/Wal-mart-specials.

Had $99 HD-DVD players come in a year earlier, they could have made a much
bigger difference.

The other factor is the cost/availability of content: right now, BR disks
are often more expensive than regular release DVDs, and pretty much anything
available on BR is available on regular DVD at the same time.

That's the other issue. If BR content is more expensive than
standard DVD, people aren't going to flock to it. I see a huge
catch-22 hurdle for BR to get over.

Yes. The only way to get over it basically is to eat the increased cost
until economies of scale kick in, which *to an extent* that's what Sony has
been doing. Whether that'll be enough or last long enough for the format to
really hit the mass market is anyone's guess - if not, it will probably be
relegated to the high-end videophile market the way laserdisc was.

If they really wanted to push BR, they could release the BR disks a few
weeks/months ahead of the regular DVD - remember how for a while, many VHS
tapes came out first in much-more-expensive "rental" editions before they
came out out as "retail" editions?

They content producers wanted to make more money. They have no
horse in the media race.

They're still manipulable somewhat, or they'd all just have been BR/HD-DVD
dual-format.

--
Nate Edel
http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
Old February 27th 08, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Nate Edel

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips chrisv wrote:
some silly copy-protection reason. Perhaps there exists, somewhere, a
player that can upsample DVD and send the upsampled signal out the
component-video jacks, but I have not heard of it.

Try the cheap brands (ie, Cyberhome, Apex, etc) rather than the major ones
that actually advertise (Sony/Panasonic/Samsung, etc.) I don't know if they
have any (yet) which will do upsampling on the component ports, but they
were the first to sell players in the US which could be de-regioned and
de-macrovisioned.