Repost- Computer will post on table but not in case - Please help

Old September 29th 05, 04:55 AM
Thomas

Default Repost- Computer will post on table but not in case - Please help

The assembly is 400 dollars worth of circuits and metal as soon as it's
fastened into the case. Person who attached the processor, heatsink,
RAM and videocard suggested that the silver lifters which were supplied
by Coolermaster are grounding out the motherboard and Brass standoffs
should have been supplied instead. Please suggest what might be the
problem/solution, I'm ready to commit myself to the nearest funny farm.

INTEL P4 630 800M LGA775 2M
MB Asus P5WD2 Premium
ANTEC TPII-430ATX RTL
CORSAIR XMS2 1G(512X2) DDR2 5400
VGA ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M
Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

Sorry if this is a repost, the original message did not post through
Usenet-News
Old September 29th 05, 10:30 AM
old jon

"Thomas" wrote in message

The assembly is 400 dollars worth of circuits and metal as soon as it's
fastened into the case. Person who attached the processor, heatsink,
RAM and videocard suggested that the silver lifters which were supplied
by Coolermaster are grounding out the motherboard and Brass standoffs
should have been supplied instead. Please suggest what might be the
problem/solution, I'm ready to commit myself to the nearest funny farm.

INTEL P4 630 800M LGA775 2M
MB Asus P5WD2 Premium
ANTEC TPII-430ATX RTL
CORSAIR XMS2 1G(512X2) DDR2 5400
VGA ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M
Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

Sorry if this is a repost, the original message did not post through
Usenet-News

The Mboard Must be grounding. Check for unused mount points. Either hammer
them down or insulate well.
best wishes..OJ

Old September 29th 05, 09:01 PM
FML

Thomas wrote:
The assembly is 400 dollars worth of circuits and metal as soon as it's
fastened into the case. Person who attached the processor, heatsink,
RAM and videocard suggested that the silver lifters which were supplied
by Coolermaster are grounding out the motherboard and Brass standoffs
should have been supplied instead. Please suggest what might be the
problem/solution, I'm ready to commit myself to the nearest funny farm.

INTEL P4 630 800M LGA775 2M
MB Asus P5WD2 Premium
ANTEC TPII-430ATX RTL
CORSAIR XMS2 1G(512X2) DDR2 5400
VGA ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M
Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

Sorry if this is a repost, the original message did not post through
Usenet-News

This may be a stupid question, but, hae you tried brass standoffs?
Old September 30th 05, 12:06 AM
John McGaw

Thomas wrote:
The assembly is 400 dollars worth of circuits and metal as soon as it's
fastened into the case. Person who attached the processor, heatsink,
RAM and videocard suggested that the silver lifters which were supplied
by Coolermaster are grounding out the motherboard and Brass standoffs
should have been supplied instead. Please suggest what might be the
problem/solution, I'm ready to commit myself to the nearest funny farm.

INTEL P4 630 800M LGA775 2M
MB Asus P5WD2 Premium
ANTEC TPII-430ATX RTL
CORSAIR XMS2 1G(512X2) DDR2 5400
VGA ASUS EN6200TC256/TD/64M
Coolermaster Wavemaster Case

Sorry if this is a repost, the original message did not post through
Usenet-News

This may seem terribly obvious, but you haven't installed one too many
standoffs (lifters or whatever you want to call them)? I've known some
people to simply screw a standoff into every hole in the chassis for
good luck and then screw their MB into place only to have an extraneous
standoff or two short the MB to ground (sometimes to the point of
smoking some components).

An easy way to tell what you need is to place the MB into the mounting
position, sans standoffs. Then using a brightly colored Sharpie-type
marking pen, mark the metal of the case's mounting area through every MB
screw hole you can identify. Remove the MB and THEN screw a standoff
into only those locations that were marked.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old September 30th 05, 04:03 PM
Clark

Since I did not see the original post, you might mention what the
computer is doing to make you think it is ground out. I had a new
motherboard once that was bad because it would only work if I pressed at
a certain point on the board, due to bad trace or connection, or
something. If this is a new motherboard, you may have a similar problem.

And, as was mentioned, make sure you don't have extras and remember that
a support point without solder around it may need a plastic standoff
because it is not meant to be grounded. The plastic ones just snap into
the hole and sit on the case for support.

Clark