Upgrading a 5312 Smart Array to a 6402

Old January 11th 05, 03:39 PM

Default Upgrading a 5312 Smart Array to a 6402

Hi all,

We've just tried this on a test box ProLiant ML530 G2 with fairly
disappointing results. (It didn't work!)

Windows 2000 SP4 running with the 5312 controller and 2 x 36GB Compaq
disks.

Installed latest System Rompaq

Installed W2K array driver 5.62.0.32 (latest at time of writing).

RBSU has 5312 as first Boot Controller.

Server boots fine.

Same W2K array driver is used for the 6402 so W2K should in theory
recognize the new card.

New card fitted and machine booted.
Card recognised in POST.
RBSU shows it as 1st Boot Controller.

W2K starts booting but then Blue Screens with Inaccessible_Boot_Device
error.

Has anyone done this successfully?
Any advice much appreciated.

Regards
Graeme

Old January 25th 05, 11:56 PM
Glide

Had a similar problem except with W2k3, install the latest 6400 drivers
whilst the server is using the 5xxx card then swap the hardware to 64xx.
worked for me

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 03:07 AM
Derek Taylor

wrote in message
[...]

This worked for me too, had to install the 6402 in the server and boot
Windows whilst the 5312 was the main controller to force Windows to install
and use the drivers. Then a shutdown, pull the 5312 and connect the SCSI
cables across to the 6402 and everything came back up a treat with 6402 (you
might need to set the 6402 as the boot controller when the server starts).
I've done this procedure on 2000 to migrate 3200-4200-5302-5312 over the
years and it's worked each time! Of course a did a full back up each time
just in case :-)

Del
Tahex Limited
UK

Old February 11th 05, 01:52 PM

Very useful replies. Thanks very much.
Have already tried the pre-installation of drivers but I'll give
Derek's suggestion a try.
Thanks for taking the time to post.

Graeme