proliant 3000

Old October 8th 06, 06:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
franklin

Default proliant 3000

I recently bought a Proliant 3000 dual processor PIII 500 with 1 GB
memory.
The server has:
- Sony 4/8 internal SCSI tapedrive
- DELL DLT PowerVault 110C 40/80 SCSI Tape Drive.
- SMART-2DH array controller (memory unknown, with daughterboard)
- SMART-2SL
- Storage Ssystem U1 en 12
- SCSI harddrives (4x9.1 and 8x18.2 GB)

I try to make this a working system with w2k server.

On SMART-2SL I made 3 arrays:
A: 2x9.1 GB drive RAID 0-1
B: 2x9.1 GB drive RAID 0-1
C: 3x18.2 GB RAID 0 (storage cage B)

On SMART-2DH I made 1 array:
A: 5x18.2 GB drive RAID 0

Arrays are made with SmartStart 5.50 and functionaing well according to
that application.

So the drives of the Proliant itself are connected to te SMART-2SL and
the
drives in the U1 are connected to the SMART-2DH (external connector).
The DLT drive is also connected to the external connector of the
SMART-2DH.
So we have SMART-2DH - External Connector - DLT drive Connector 1
cable incoming - DLT Drive Connector 2 cable outgoing - U1 Storage
System.
The U1 must have his own internal terminator I guess because there is
just
1 68p connector to connect the cable with.

When installing W2k server I expirienced trouble making partitions on
the
arrays.
Disconnecting the DLT drive and U1 made me able to install W2K.

Now I connected the DLT drive and U1 again and W2K does not want to
boot.
All arrays and logical drives are recognized but the systems hangs
with:
Error loading Operating System.

The question I have is:
- Did I connect everything right or do I forget something.
- What went wrong installing W2K

Thanks for the answers.

Old October 8th 06, 09:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

franklin wrote:
The DLT drive is also connected to the external connector of the
SMART-2DH.

Never work. Your arrangement of hard drives is fine, but you CAN NOT
connect a DLT to the Smart 2DH. You must remove the tape drive from the
external connector on the Array Card and connect it to the external
port of the on-board SCSI controller (the external port that is clearly
not provided by any cards in a PCI slot). You will need to properly
terminate this drive.

If you do this you will see (during boot-up) the Smart 2DH, and all of
its arrays, listed...followed by the message: Scanning for SCSI
devices....followed by a message showing the DLT has been found.

The tape drive can never be part of an array along with hard drives.

It is very late, and I hope I am making sense....I am sure LC will
correct me if I am wrong.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old October 8th 06, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
ps.com...

franklin wrote:
[...]

Jeffrey, you are spot-on correct!

The Smart Array controllers are for disks only. They do not support other
types of SCSI devices, such as Tapes or CDROMs. Back in the old days,
companies such as Mylex and AMI (now both part of LSI) had controllers that
would do such things, but they were tedious to work with and at the time,
very expensive.

You might consider losing the 4/8 tape drive as its not even large enough to
store a local system state backup of your W2K installation. Also, consider
removing the DLT from the desktop enclosure, and install the drive
internally (next to the CDROM) in the server. There *should* be a 68pin self
terminating cable tucked away in there. You will need to get the Tape/CDROM
mounting rails so that you can secure the drive into the media bay.

You can find those he
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...aq+cdrom+rails

Let us know if you have any other questions.

- LC

Old October 9th 06, 02:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Nut Cracker wrote:
You might consider losing the 4/8 tape drive as its not even large enough to
store a local system state backup of your W2K installation. Also, consider
removing the DLT from the desktop enclosure, and install the drive
internally (next to the CDROM) in the server. There *should* be a 68pin self
terminating cable tucked away in there. You will need to get the Tape/CDROM
mounting rails so that you can secure the drive into the media bay.

Yeah, what he said. I have totally given up on the external tape
drives. It is very easy to mount the drive internally (asuming that you
have a pair of those rails) and it runs much faster and cleaner. I have
often thought that I was doing something wrong (hardware wise) but my
results are as they are. I keep telling myself that we are dealing with
"legacy" systems here....perhaps this is a kink that was never worked
out and never WILL be.

Jeffrey Alsip

Old October 9th 06, 08:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
franklin

franklin wrote:
I recently bought a Proliant 3000 dual processor PIII 500 with 1 GB
memory.
The server has:
- Sony 4/8 internal SCSI tapedrive
- DELL DLT PowerVault 110C 40/80 SCSI Tape Drive.
- SMART-2DH array controller (memory unknown, with daughterboard)
- SMART-2SL
- Storage Ssystem U1 en 12
- SCSI harddrives (4x9.1 and 8x18.2 GB)

I try to make this a working system with w2k server.

On SMART-2SL I made 3 arrays:
A: 2x9.1 GB drive RAID 0-1
B: 2x9.1 GB drive RAID 0-1
C: 3x18.2 GB RAID 0 (storage cage B)

On SMART-2DH I made 1 array:
A: 5x18.2 GB drive RAID 0

[...]

Thanks guys,

I did solve the problem partially.
The problem of the server not booting was that it was not able to find
the OS on the first bootable array. I did swap the SMART-2SL and the
SMART-2DH in the server and it booted at startup.
Now there is the problem of the DLT drive to solve, but I will have a
look at it in the next few days.
Maybe I will be back here for more support.

Franklin

Old October 9th 06, 08:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
franklin

franklin wrote:
[...]

The DLKT drive is not an internal one, but external.
So I guess I have to buy a SCSI adapter like Adaptec 2940 UW or
something similar.

Old October 9th 06, 01:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"franklin" wrote in message
ups.com...
franklin wrote:
I recently bought a Proliant 3000 dual processor PIII 500 with 1 GB
memory.
The server has:
- Sony 4/8 internal SCSI tapedrive
- DELL DLT PowerVault 110C 40/80 SCSI Tape Drive.
- SMART-2DH array controller (memory unknown, with daughterboard)
- SMART-2SL
- Storage Ssystem U1 en 12
- SCSI harddrives (4x9.1 and 8x18.2 GB)

I try to make this a working system with w2k server.

On SMART-2SL I made 3 arrays:
A: 2x9.1 GB drive RAID 0-1
B: 2x9.1 GB drive RAID 0-1
C: 3x18.2 GB RAID 0 (storage cage B)

On SMART-2DH I made 1 array:
A: 5x18.2 GB drive RAID 0

[...]

this can also be solved by entering the F10 setup, and setting the
controller "order" from the SCU (system configuration utility). Find the
entry for the controller you wish to boot from, and make sure its is
identified as "FIRST".

- LC

Old October 9th 06, 04:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

In article om, franklin wrote:

The DLKT drive is not an internal one, but external.
So I guess I have to buy a SCSI adapter like Adaptec 2940 UW or
something similar.

I *think* need to do that.. There should already be (I think) a SCSI
connector that is not part of either SmartArray controller available,
but I'm not sure if it's got an internal or external connector (you
can tell that i'm not using mine yet.. )

Old October 9th 06, 07:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Rick F." wrote in message
In article om, franklin
wrote:

The DLKT drive is not an internal one, but external.
So I guess I have to buy a SCSI adapter like Adaptec 2940 UW or
something similar.

I *think* need to do that.. There should already be (I think) a SCSI
connector that is not part of either SmartArray controller available,
but I'm not sure if it's got an internal or external connector (you
can tell that i'm not using mine yet.. )

Yes, there is an internal SCSI header (2 actually), of whcih one should
already have a ribbon cable attached to it. This is the way they ship from
the factory.

As for the DLT drive, remove it from the external enclosure. put the little
rails on it (links provided to ebay in another post in this thread), and
install it internally. Depending on the age of the DLT, it might have a
50pin scsi connector, rather than a 68ping connector. If this is the case,
you will need to get a molex adapter that goes from 50pin female to 68pin
female, and it will still work.

- LC

Old October 9th 06, 09:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

t...

franklin wrote:
The DLT drive is also connected to the external connector of the
SMART-2DH.

Never work. Your arrangement of hard drives is fine, but you CAN NOT
connect a DLT to the Smart 2DH.

Jeffrey, you are spot-on correct!

I agree.

The Smart Array controllers are for disks only.

I don't agree. There are exceptions.

They do not support other types of SCSI devices, such as Tapes or CDROMs.

Not true. Depends on the model of Smart Array controller. If you get a
recent DL380, it has a hot-plug (SCSI) tape drive as an option. All the
internal hot=plug drive slots are controlled by a SmartArray controller =
some SmartArray controller support some tape drives.

Mere technicality...