display suddenly gone wrong

Old September 28th 05, 12:04 AM
BruceM

Can you tell us what operating system you're using? Sounds terribly like 95
to me?

"kony" wrote in message
On 27 Sep 2005 11:19:08 -0700,
wrote:

I've uninstalled all display drivers and now I can't boot, not even in
safe mode or VGA mode. An error flashes up momentarily and I think it
says "video driver failed to load".

If it has a "plugin" graphics card, tell us if it is PCI or AGP slot &
any

name or numbers you can find on it.

It is AGP I think, and has a barcode sticker on it which says:

GEFORCE 4 MX440 64-bit 64MB DDR TV-OUT:77AT 103009976

It would seem you had (and even further now) a windows
problem rather than solely a video card problem... as plenty
of us use the same (framework of) Detonator drivers which
would not vary with the GF4MX compared to any other Geforce
card.

I suggest a repair install of Windows, if as you wrote there
is no way to boot windows anymore. Another alternative
would be to install a different video card (either in AGP or
concurrently a PCI card and set bios to make PCI the primary
display device), then booting windows with the alternate
video card. However, since it appears to be a windows
problem (it should not have stopped booting merely by
uninstalling the driver) there may be no way another card
would get you booted either... it's worth a try if you had
one but repair or reinstall overtop itself is probably
useful to get windows back to where it should be.

Old September 28th 05, 01:46 AM
kony

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:34:00 +0930, "BruceM"
wrote:

Can you tell us what operating system you're using? Sounds terribly like 95
to me?

Actually the odds of it are incredibly low, only WinNT/2k/XP
have such horrible problems with mere hardware changes while
9x could plug and play just about anything.

Regardless, OP mentioned it's Win2k.