A64 3200+ Voltage Question

Old June 27th 04, 10:22 PM
johny

Default A64 3200+ Voltage Question

I have an Athlon64 3200+ sitting on MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard. The
default voltage for this CPU is 1.5V. My motherboard (BIOS) allows me to
bring the voltage up to 1.55V Max. I'm currently running it at 215FSB
(2.15Ghz Core) 1.55V after experiencing instability on 220FSB 2.2Ghz core.
When playing Battlefield 1942, the game suddenly terminates without any
errors. In a blink of an eye, the game is gone, like I never had it running.
Also, when running benchmark 3DMark 2003, at the end, it gives me "File
corruption" error. It reports some of the texture files corrupted. When I
bring my FSB down to 215, none of this happens.
1 question is, have I reached the top with this mb/cpu, and is it because of
low voltage?
2nd quesion, is 1.55V really the top with this MB, or is there a way to
bring bring the voltage over 1.55V?
Heat is not an issue as CPU and GPU is watercooled.

A643200+ 215FSB, 2.15Ghz Core 1.55V, Temp 28C - 38C.
1G 2x512MB SD DDR PC3200 Corsair XMS Series Memory
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (405Mhz GPU/351Mhz Mem)
2x120GB SATA Samsung HDD RAID0 Configured.
470W PSU.

Old June 27th 04, 10:27 PM
Jason Cothran

"johny" wrote in message
| I have an Athlon64 3200+ sitting on MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard. The
| default voltage for this CPU is 1.5V. My motherboard (BIOS) allows me to
| bring the voltage up to 1.55V Max. I'm currently running it at 215FSB
| (2.15Ghz Core) 1.55V after experiencing instability on 220FSB 2.2Ghz core.
| When playing Battlefield 1942, the game suddenly terminates without any
| errors. In a blink of an eye, the game is gone, like I never had it
running.
| Also, when running benchmark 3DMark 2003, at the end, it gives me "File
| corruption" error. It reports some of the texture files corrupted. When I
| bring my FSB down to 215, none of this happens.
| 1 question is, have I reached the top with this mb/cpu, and is it because
of
| low voltage?
| 2nd quesion, is 1.55V really the top with this MB, or is there a way to
| bring bring the voltage over 1.55V?
| Heat is not an issue as CPU and GPU is watercooled.

Either it is just a lesser sample out of the lot, or the mobile processors
are just that much better. I run a mobile A64 3200+ 1MB L2 at 2.2GHz at 1.3
volts (default is 1.4 for mine).

Old June 28th 04, 09:41 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:22:33 +0000, johny wrote:

I have an Athlon64 3200+ sitting on MSI K8T Neo FIS2R motherboard. The
default voltage for this CPU is 1.5V. My motherboard (BIOS) allows me to
bring the voltage up to 1.55V Max. I'm currently running it at 215FSB
(2.15Ghz Core) 1.55V after experiencing instability on 220FSB 2.2Ghz core.
When playing Battlefield 1942, the game suddenly terminates without any
errors. In a blink of an eye, the game is gone, like I never had it running.
Also, when running benchmark 3DMark 2003, at the end, it gives me "File
corruption" error. It reports some of the texture files corrupted. When I
bring my FSB down to 215, none of this happens.
1 question is, have I reached the top with this mb/cpu, and is it because of
low voltage?

It could be low voltage, ram not fast enough, weak PSU, AGP overclocked
too much, etc, but I think 215 is about normal.

2nd quesion, is 1.55V really the top with this MB, or is there a way to
bring bring the voltage over 1.55V?

If you can find the control pins, you can go higher. Sorry, I haven't
looked since my board will go to 1.7 or maybe 1.75.

how much can I up the voltage on my corsair ram Paul General 4 September 28th 04 11:59 PM
P4 voltage question Mike General 1 January 26th 04 12:24 PM
Overclocked 2500 Barton to 3200 using my old Crucial 2100 DDR [email protected] General 5 January 18th 04 10:01 AM
Memory Question - outcome of exceeding the memory limits of a machine. John B. General 4 November 4th 03 01:25 PM
Voltage for ATI video card fan? Vanguard General 5 October 2nd 03 04:25 AM