Transfering info to new computer

Old January 13th 04, 06:48 PM

Default Transfering info to new computer

Hi,

Just a quick question.

I friend of mine has two gateways sitting side-by-side and wants to
transfer all the info from the old computer to the new computer. They
are both on-line.

Gateway says he has to buy software from them in order to do it. They
want a lot.

Isn't there a fairly simple way to transfer this info. Any ideas would
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

MG

Old January 13th 04, 08:21 PM
PC Gladiator

The entire contents of a disk or disks or just some of the information? A
more detailed explanation please.

If could be as simple as opening them up to share files since they are
"online". Does that mean connected to the same router?

Old January 15th 04, 07:12 PM

If you are wanting to copy files (as opposed to an entire drive) and
both computers have USB ports, my suggestion is to buy a cheap USB
drive and use it to copy files from one PC to the USB drive, then from
the USB drive to the other computer. It's cheap and fast. You can
buy 64 MB USB drives for under $50. That's about 60 floppies
capacity.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
Ron Ferrell

wrote in message
[...]

You could install the operating system on the new computer and get it up and
running. Then you could disconnect the CD-ROM drive and hook up his old
hard drive there. Go to explorer and you should be able to see both drives
and copy any information you want into your new drive.

Old February 2nd 04, 01:23 PM
Ccrlyles

Would this work if one system is XP and the old system is 98SE? Thanks
Old February 2nd 04, 10:50 PM
Ron Ferrell

Ccrlyles wrote in message
Would this work if one system is XP and the old system is 98SE? Thanks

Where I work we use this technique and have had great success in
transferring data between Windows 95 and 98 to Windows 2000 pro. I would
suggest moving some small file and testing before jumping in with both feet.
Or you could take a Ghost image of the old machine and using Ghost explorer
do the same procedure. Hope you get it to work!