Replacing PCI Video Card with AGP card

Old May 5th 04, 04:28 AM
Retreatgal

Default Replacing PCI Video Card with AGP card

Hi

I wondered of anyone could help me here. Maybe someone else has encountered
this problem.

I am fixing an old socket 7, 550mhz pc. It currently uses a PCI video card
and I purchased a second hand AGP card. When I booted I got the 8 beeps
video card error. I went into BIOS and the primary video adapter is set for
PCI.

The questions a

Does putting in an AGP card whilst the BIOS is configured for PCI cause
these beeps? Rather than a dead AGP card.

And if I change the setting to AGP, reboot, and still get the beeps, will I
have any display happening if I put the PCI card back in but before I
reconfigure the BIOS for PCI? Or do I just get a black screen until I
source another AGP card???

Cheers
Retreatgal

--

My personal interest web site: www.globalpermaculture.50megs.com
Hey, I'm still learning!

Old May 5th 04, 06:21 AM
Stacey

Retreatgal wrote:

Hi

I wondered of anyone could help me here. Maybe someone else has
encountered this problem.

I am fixing an old socket 7, 550mhz pc. It currently uses a PCI video
card
and I purchased a second hand AGP card. When I booted I got the 8 beeps
video card error. I went into BIOS and the primary video adapter is set
for PCI.

The questions a

Does putting in an AGP card whilst the BIOS is configured for PCI cause
these beeps? Rather than a dead AGP card.

You did remove the PCI card right? Most boards this just sets which card if
the primary video -if- you are using two card, it should still work
whatever it's set on.

And if I change the setting to AGP, reboot, and still get the beeps, will
I have any display happening if I put the PCI card back in but before I
reconfigure the BIOS for PCI? Or do I just get a black screen until I
source another AGP card???

You could try changing it and if all else fails, reset the bios to get the
default setting back which is probably PCI. Again I doubt this is the
problem, more likely a dead video card.
--

Stacey
Old May 5th 04, 07:31 PM
striker

First time I put in an AGP card I didn't seat it enough. Wasn't pushed down
all the way and got beep error code.

Old May 7th 04, 02:19 AM
Retreatgal

Hi Stacey

You did remove the PCI card right?

Yes, I did remove the PCI card first.

You could try changing it and if all else fails, reset the bios to get the
default setting back which is probably PCI. Again I doubt this is the
problem, more likely a dead video card.

I don't want to change the BIOS until I know if the AGP card is alive as I
do not want to reset the BIOS. I have a friend who already has an AGP card
in their pc, so I will try the offending card in their machine. Like you, I
suspect it is a dead video card.

Retreatgal

Old May 7th 04, 02:59 AM
Matt Merkey

Retreatgal wrote:

[...]

The primary video setting in the bios just tells the bios which bus to
go to first for video. In a dual video card setup, it will be the #1
card. The bios will look to both busses for a video card during the
power on self test (POST) process. So it's quite possible the AGP card
is DOA.
Old May 7th 04, 03:06 AM
WebWalker

Are you putting an 8X AGP card to a 1-2X AGP slot ?

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279
Old May 7th 04, 04:50 AM
kony

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:06:02 +0800, WebWalker
wrote:

Are you putting an 8X AGP card to a 1-2X AGP slot ?

Would that be possible without a hammer?
Old May 7th 04, 05:05 AM
kony

On Wed, 05 May 2004 03:28:53 GMT, "Retreatgal" wrote:

[...]

Many super 7 boards were fussy about AGP video cards, moreso than other
comtemporary platforms or anything that has come after them. Often super
7 boards used Voodoo3 video because in it's agp version it lacked many agp
features and acted like a PCI card, except in the faster AGP slot. If
your card is a TNT chipset then that was a known problem, but largely
because it was a popular chipset during the super 7 era, cards coming
afterwards could have same problem but simply weren't tested in sufficient
volume.

Then there's power... different video card likely uses more power so the
question of the power suppply adequacy comes into play.

Sometimes it's not a matter of whether the bios is set to agp or PCI, but
that it does need to be reset, "clear cmos" to get the new video card to
work. 8 beeps isnt' telling, you might be best off to just reinstall the
PCI card as a 550Mhz super 7 system isn't worth the time or money to fool
with, better to just have it working with the PCI card and consider other
alternative systems if it won't perform appropriate for intended use.
Old May 7th 04, 12:32 PM
JT

wrote:

Are you putting an 8X AGP card to a 1-2X AGP slot ?

Would that be possible without a hammer?

Some older, cheaper motherboards are not keyed in a way that would keep an
8x AGP card from fitting. If they left the plastic "keys" out, any card
will fit. It just won't work. Have ran into this before.

JT
Old May 7th 04, 01:55 PM
kony

wrote:

Are you putting an 8X AGP card to a 1-2X AGP slot ?

Would that be possible without a hammer?

Some older, cheaper motherboards are not keyed in a way that would keep an
8x AGP card from fitting. If they left the plastic "keys" out, any card
will fit. It just won't work. Have ran into this before.

JT

Which boards?

There were plenty of AGP universal slotted boards but those will run 8X
cards, at 4X.

How to buy a video card? Maciek General 3 May 5th 04 07:37 AM
Advice on new video card Frustrated General 4 December 12th 03 04:19 PM
Video Card Help SteveC General 1 October 20th 03 07:08 AM
Where to get replacement video card fan? Or maybe just use a heatsink? Vanguard General 3 September 20th 03 07:24 PM
Video card memory too low BuDMaN General 4 September 12th 03 01:27 AM