Asus A7V8X-X and Asus Radeon 9600XT not working

Old April 9th 04, 06:47 PM
kevin_taco

Default Asus A7V8X-X and Asus Radeon 9600XT not working

I cannot get my Asus Radeon 9600XT video to work on my Asus A7V8X-X
motherboard. I've tried two different Asus Radeon 9600xt video cards and
am having the same result.

After booting into Windows XP, the screen will randomly go blank or the
graphics driver will report it has crashed and the screen will turn off
and on. I have to reset my computer in order to get things back to
normal.

I even reformated and reinstalled XP and the problem still exists.
Additionally, my Geforce4 works just fine on this system.

I purchased both an Asus motherboard and graphics card hoping to maximize
compatability. However so far I've had no luck.

Below are the specs on my computer.

Asus A7X8X-X Bios 1009
Asus Radeon 9600XT
512mb RAM
AMD Barton 2.5ghz
VIA 4 in 1 driver Package Service v4.49 - From Asus website
ati799_wxp2k.zip - From Asus website
AsusEhancedDriver.zip - From Asus website
SmartDoc431.zip - From Asus website
Windows XP SP1

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-alex
Old April 10th 04, 02:13 AM
Paul

In article ,
(kevin_taco) wrote:

[...]

Are you overclocking the processor ? If the A7V8X-X doesn't
have an AGP lock, that might be the source of the problem.
For example, an ATI9800 cannot handle the AGP going from
the normal 66MHz to an overclocked 75MHz. Maybe the 9600
shares this characteristic ? Try testing your system without
overclocking, to see if the problem is AGP frequency.

Many older video cards could handle higher frequencies, and
the Nvidia ones have been known to run OK at 100MHz. ATI
has done something to change the way this characteristic
works.

This post suggests there is no lock on your AGP frequency:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...24%40attbi_s54

HTH,
Paul
Old April 10th 04, 01:30 PM
COCA COLA KID

I had similar problems with a A7V600 and 9600XT. Apparently the 9600XT
doesn't like the Via Chips. Try running it at 4x AGP instead of 8x AGP also
make sure Fastwrite is off. If this doesn't work try disabling VPU recover