Motherboards?

Old January 6th 07, 08:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default Motherboards?

Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the
owners? It makes it difficult to figure out which motherboards are
better than others.

Old January 6th 07, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Davej" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the
owners? It makes it difficult to figure out which motherboards are
better than others.

Simple really. A good percentage of home builders shouldn't even think
about building themselves. A lot of the complaints you will see about
motherboards boil down to idiot failed to research properly prior to
purchase, or ****ed up his new hardware by mating components that were not
meant to go together. -Dave

Old January 6th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Pilarcik

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1...hisworkzr7.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/yzumsh

Old January 6th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Al Pilarcik" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Dave wrote:

Simple really. A good percentage of home builders shouldn't even
think about building themselves. A lot of the complaints you will
see about motherboards boil down to idiot failed to research properly
prior to purchase, or ****ed up his new hardware by mating components
that were not meant to go together.

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1...hisworkzr7.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/yzumsh

Good example! -Dave

Old January 6th 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Davej wrote

Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the owners?

Because you only see posts from those who dont like their motherboard
mostly. Those who do like their motherboard mostly dont bother to say so.

It makes it difficult to figure out which motherboards are better than others.

It does indeed.

Old January 6th 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Pilarcik

Davej wrote:
Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the
owners? It makes it difficult to figure out which motherboards are
better than others.

Not really. Abit, MSI, Asus, DFI, Intel, Supermicro, and Gigabyte all make
good products.

As Dave mentions elsewhere in this thread, often the problem is the builder
and not the hardware.

This "systems engineer" is a good example:
http://tinyurl.com/ylj5kz

"If an operating system such as Windows is loaded on this drive, it will not
boot. This drive is designed for data storage (Enterprise Storage)only and
is missing a standard boot sector. I am a systems engineer and have
confirmed this with Seagate techinical support at 1-877-xxx-xxxx."

Old January 7th 07, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DaveW

A lot of noobie motherboard owners have trouble understanding the many
complexities involved in setting them up.

--
DaveW

----------------
ups.com...

Old January 7th 07, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
fwibbler

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Davej wrote

Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the
owners?

Because you only see posts from those who dont like their motherboard
mostly. Those who do like their motherboard mostly dont bother to say so.

In that case, I must make a point of singing the praises of the following:

AOpen AX59Pro (Socket 7) - High performance, great overclocker, very stable
ASUS A7V8X-X (Socket A) - Another great stable board.
Abit AN7 (Socket A) - Great overclocker and also stable.
ASUS A8V + A8V deluxe (Socket 939) - Also stable and reasonable overclocker.

Cheers!

--
Graham
Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Old January 7th 07, 02:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"Davej" wrote:

Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the
owners? It makes it difficult to figure out which motherboards are
better than others.

To me, negative comments are just as valuable as positive comments.
I need negative comments when researching a new upgrade part. What
someone else doesn't like about something might not matter to me
(and that means I get more of what I want for the price). Also, as
mentioned in other replies, you can attribute some negative comments
to lack of experience and ignorance.

Even if there were only negative comments, you could bias your
judgment of those comments by the manufacturer's popularity. It's
like with ordinary things, if a manufacturer makes something very
popular, the bad things are more likely to be discovered.

Good luck and have fun.

Old January 7th 07, 03:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

fwibbler wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Davej wrote

Why does it seem that every motherboard is disliked by 1/4 of the owners?

Because you only see posts from those who dont like their motherboard
mostly. Those who do like their motherboard mostly dont bother to say so.

In that case, I must make a point of singing the praises of the following:

My dog sings better than that when you tread on his tail |-)

AOpen AX59Pro (Socket 7) - High performance, great overclocker,
very stable ASUS A7V8X-X (Socket A) - Another great stable board.
Abit AN7 (Socket A) - Great overclocker and also stable.
ASUS A8V + A8V deluxe (Socket 939) - Also stable and reasonable overclocker.

It makes more sense to use a Core 2 Duo now, and overclocking is mad.