Using SATA drives with IDE

Old November 27th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Bruce Whealton

Default Using SATA drives with IDE

Hi,
I am having a problem setting up my system with an IDE hard drive. I
bought the system
used with a SATA drive as the main disk drive. I had added an IDE drive and
things
were working fine, with the IDE drive working as the E drive. I have data
on that drive
from a previous system. For some reason a problem developed and a friend
tried to fix things. Now, the only way to fix things was to remove that IDE
drive.
Having gotten things back to working right, I tried to put that IDE drive
back in.
Unfortunately, that drive insists on being the boot drive. This wasn't
happening previously.
I get a message saying I should check things out in the CMOS BIOS. I
don't
see any settings that distinguish between the SATA hard drive and the IDE
hard drive. Boot-up options include Hard drive, floppy, CDROM, etc.
What should I look for? Any suggestions, help?
Thanks so much,
Bruce

Old November 28th 06, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
KC Computers

I am having a problem setting up my system with an IDE hard drive. I
bought the system used with a SATA drive as the main disk drive. I had
added an IDE drive and things were working fine, with the IDE drive
working as the E drive. I have data on that drive from a previous
system. For some reason a problem developed and a friend
tried to fix things. Now, the only way to fix things was to remove that
IDE drive. Having gotten things back to working right, I tried to put
that IDE drive back in. Unfortunately, that drive insists on being the
boot drive. This wasn't happening previously. I get a message saying I
should check things out in the CMOS BIOS. I don't see any settings that
distinguish between the SATA hard drive and the IDE
hard drive. Boot-up options include Hard drive, floppy, CDROM, etc.
What should I look for? Any suggestions, help?

There should be a submenu for hard drives which lets you change the hard
drive order.

---
KC COMPUTERS www.kc-computers.com
Computer Sales & Service since 1991!!! See customer ratings at:
www.resellerratings.com/seller1595.html

Old November 28th 06, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs
johns

You can't put an IDE drive on the first IDE connector
... IDE 1. You have to put it on IDE 2 or the 2nd
connector on your mobo. Note: Others will dispute
this, but they are dead wrong. Move your cable.
If you have a DVD drive, you'll have to slave it to
the IDE hard drive. Put nothing on IDE 1. Also,
in your BIOS, you need to disable RAID if you
see a place to do that. Then you should be able
to put your SATA on SATA 0, and it will become
the default boot drive.

johns

Old November 28th 06, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs
Rod Speed

johns wrote:

You can't put an IDE drive on the first IDE connector .. IDE 1.
You have to put it on IDE 2 or the 2nd connector on your mobo.

Wrong.

Note: Others will dispute this, but they are dead wrong.

Have fun explaining how come it used to work fine.

Move your cable. If you have a DVD drive, you'll have
to slave it to the IDE hard drive. Put nothing on IDE 1.

Wrong.

Also, in your BIOS, you need to disable RAID if you see a place to do that.
Then you should be able to put your SATA on SATA 0, and it will become
the default boot drive.

The default is completely irrelevant.

Old November 28th 06, 08:02 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs
Robert Baer

Rod Speed wrote:
johns wrote:

You can't put an IDE drive on the first IDE connector .. IDE 1.
You have to put it on IDE 2 or the 2nd connector on your mobo.

Wrong.

Note: Others will dispute this, but they are dead wrong.

Have fun explaining how come it used to work fine.

Move your cable. If you have a DVD drive, you'll have
to slave it to the IDE hard drive. Put nothing on IDE 1.

Wrong.

Also, in your BIOS, you need to disable RAID if you see a place to do that.
Then you should be able to put your SATA on SATA 0, and it will become
the default boot drive.

The default is completely irrelevant.

The *order* of boot drives is EXTREMELY relevant; you are incorrect.
Old November 28th 06, 08:39 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Really rod? It is wrong?

Tell us more, you so smart . . .

-g

Old November 28th 06, 09:31 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs
kony

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:02:10 GMT, Robert Baer
wrote:

The *order* of boot drives is EXTREMELY relevant; you are incorrect.

Any board modern enough to support SATA should have
sufficient bios settings to select any connected drive to
boot from- with the exception of discrete add-on controllers
from board-soldered chips or PCI/etc card, in which case it
may only be a device boot choice when the device bios takes
it from there as per user selection of boot drive.

Either way, to not be able to select the boot drive should
be considered a significant bios bug (if this is actually
the case) and a bios update should be sought - and the
problem reported to the board manufacturer if the corrected
bios doesn't exist yet.
Old November 28th 06, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs
Rod Speed

Robert Baer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
johns wrote

You can't put an IDE drive on the first IDE connector .. IDE 1.
You have to put it on IDE 2 or the 2nd connector on your mobo.

Wrong.

Note: Others will dispute this, but they are dead wrong.

Have fun explaining how come it used to work fine.

Move your cable. If you have a DVD drive, you'll have
to slave it to the IDE hard drive. Put nothing on IDE 1.

Wrong.

Also, in your BIOS, you need to disable RAID if you see a place to do that. Then you should be
able to put your SATA on SATA 0, and it will become the default boot drive.

The default is completely irrelevant.

The *order* of boot drives is EXTREMELY relevant;

Irrelevant to what was being discussed above.

you are incorrect.

Nope.

Old November 28th 06, 10:14 AM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Some pig ignorant gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Geoff wrote just what you'd expect
from a pig ignorant desperately cowering gutless ****wit.

Old November 28th 06, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs
Stephen Howard

On 27 Nov 2006 16:40:04 -0800, "johns" wrote:

You can't put an IDE drive on the first IDE connector
.. IDE 1. You have to put it on IDE 2 or the 2nd
connector on your mobo. Note: Others will dispute
this, but they are dead wrong. Move your cable.
If you have a DVD drive, you'll have to slave it to
the IDE hard drive. Put nothing on IDE 1. Also,
in your BIOS, you need to disable RAID if you
see a place to do that. Then you should be able
to put your SATA on SATA 0, and it will become
the default boot drive.

Depends what sort of SATA service your bios/os allows.

My Aopen board does three modes; Combined - in which the drives are
'mapped', effectively using IDE 0 for the primary SATA channel;
Enhanced - in which all channels are available, though not under
W9X/ME; and SATA only.

Also, on some boards RAID is switched on when SATA is, regardless of
whether you have a RAID setup in place or not. This usually results in
a 5 second delay in bootup whilst the RAID setup times out.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk