Compaq Smart Array 2P in a non-Compaq machine?

Old September 22nd 05, 05:16 PM
Jason Arthurs

Default Compaq Smart Array 2P in a non-Compaq machine?

I have a spare barebones PC, a spare 9.1Gb SCSI drive and a spare
Smart Array 2P PCI card.

Will this card run in a non-Compaq PC?

I've already installed it, and it complained on boot that the PCI bus
doesn't support ECC. Next step is to try and run the array
configuration utility!

Regards,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.
Old September 22nd 05, 06:52 PM
Nut Cracker

man ... that thing is OLD ... only Wide SCSI speeds (20MB/s) .... 4MB Cache
standard. You can upgrade the cache using a 16MB module from a 2DH, or a
64MB module from an AS3200 / RA4x00.

I dont know if you will be able to run the ACU on a non-cpq machine. I know
you cannot boot from the smartstart CD, as it will bark about the machine
not being a supported system. Running the ACU from floppies may be a
different matter.

I predict your result will be unfavourable, but give it a try. It just
*might* work.

- lc

Old September 22nd 05, 07:47 PM
Jason Arthurs

It was actually a Smart Array 2SL but still a little bit of ancient
history. I've just managed to get it working in a generic tower albeit
with a little help from a Proliant 5500.

I couldn't install Windows to run ACU because the install 'got lost'
during hardware detection and never came back (something to do with
the array not being configured). So I pulled the 2SL and put it in a
5500 and ran ACU.

Pulled it all back out and put it back into the tower and it works
fine after a tweak of the BIOS to stop it trying to boot off of the
network card. It's installing a copy of XP as we speak and it picked
up the array without a hitch this time.

Despite being an ancient card, I think it'll do a better job with the
9Gb 10K drive than the pair of old Seagate 1.2Gb IDE drives that were
in there...

Out of interest, will a 64bit Smart Array (a la 431) work in a 32bit
slot albeit with less bandwidth?

Regards,
Jason.

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:52:09 -0500, "Nut Cracker"
wrote:

man ... that thing is OLD ... only Wide SCSI speeds (20MB/s) .... 4MB Cache
standard. You can upgrade the cache using a 16MB module from a 2DH, or a
64MB module from an AS3200 / RA4x00.

I dont know if you will be able to run the ACU on a non-cpq machine. I know
you cannot boot from the smartstart CD, as it will bark about the machine
not being a supported system. Running the ACU from floppies may be a
different matter.

I predict your result will be unfavourable, but give it a try. It just
*might* work.

- lc

.. .

Old September 22nd 05, 09:44 PM
Nut Cracker

[...]

Bear in mind, you wont be able to update the array controller driver. HP
hasnt released a signed XP compatable version of it. As for it working
better than the old IDE drives .... definitely.

Now, as to the 64bit controller question, as long as your controller is
keyed for a 3.3v 32bit slot you can use it, and yes, it will have less
bandwidth. It will probably negotiate down to Ultra2 speeds (80MB/s).
Anything more would exceed the rating of the entire PCI bus.

The 431 has the above mentioned slot keying. You should be able to use it.

its PCI keying looks like this:

|_|-|_______|-|_|-|___________|

some of the others, such as the 532 and 641 controllers look like this:
|_|-|__________|-|___________|

Your standard 32bit 33Mhz PCI slot looks like this:
|__________|-|___|

notice how the notch does not line up at the back of the slot. That is the
"gotcha".

- LC

Old September 23rd 05, 10:09 AM
Jason Arthurs

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:44:35 -0500, "Nut Cracker"
wrote:

[...]

It's running Linux now (SME Server) and it's only a little test rig
for me to check out some remote admin tools. Best case scenario if I
decide to keep it running I have three non-hotswap 9Gb drives in an
ML350 that I intend to replace once I get a drive cage for it. I might
well transplant them once I get some new drives and build a tidy
little four drive array. A 27Gb RAID5 array is more than sufficient
for testing purposes.

Bear in mind, you wont be able to update the array controller driver. HP
hasnt released a signed XP compatable version of it. As for it working
better than the old IDE drives .... definitely.

I think I'll build a BartPE disk with ACU at some point so I can boot
from CD and tinker with the array.

Now, as to the 64bit controller question, as long as your controller is
keyed for a 3.3v 32bit slot you can use it, and yes, it will have less
bandwidth. It will probably negotiate down to Ultra2 speeds (80MB/s).
Anything more would exceed the rating of the entire PCI bus.

The 431 has the above mentioned slot keying. You should be able to use it.

its PCI keying looks like this:

|_|-|_______|-|_|-|___________|

some of the others, such as the 532 and 641 controllers look like this:
|_|-|__________|-|___________|

Your standard 32bit 33Mhz PCI slot looks like this:
|__________|-|___|

notice how the notch does not line up at the back of the slot. That is the
"gotcha".

I suspected this would be the case, I remember a few years back
getting hold of some Adaptec RAID cards that were 64bit. The downgrade
to Ultra2 isn't a problem as the cage I was going to connect it to is
only Ultra-Wide anyway. The only machine I have with 64bit slots is my
ML350, but I was thinking of getting hold of a DL380 at some point.

Thanks,
Jason.

---
Replace nntp with my name to reply.
N0 5pAm H3r3: Include this tagline to pass my spam filter.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 06:50 AM
Initial Install - Compaq Smart Array 221 Compaq Servers 6 October 27th 04 03:46 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 21st 04 11:30 AM
config a compaq array 3200 in a non compaq pc? David Bartram Compaq Computers 2 August 16th 03 12:23 AM
Compaq WIN XP on home-built machine nECrO Homebuilt PC's 3 June 27th 03 08:57 AM