Second Notebook HDD

Old March 15th 05, 08:17 AM
Nicholas Andrade

Default Second Notebook HDD

I happen to have a spare notebook HDD (my previous laptops mobo died,
but the HDD still works) which I was hoping to use with my new D610, but
I was disappointed to find out Dell doesn't offer a HDD adaptor for the
drive bay (where the CD/DVD-ROM is). I'm aware I can simply swap my
primary drive, but that requires moving 4 screws every time (two fasten
the HDD to the laptop, two fasten a little cover to the HDD). Does
anyone know if Dell sells the HDD bay cover seperately (that way I'll
only need to swap the two screws that fasten the drive to the laptop)?
I'm not interested in constantly carrying an enclosure with me, so are
there any other options? Lastly I noticed there's an adaptor required
to plug the HDD into the mobo (the board doesn't accept pins, rather a
new interface I've never seen before), does Dell (or someone else) offer
this?

Thanks,
~Nick
Old March 15th 05, 06:49 PM
Fixer

You can buy all these on Ebay no problem at all as for the media b ay
caddy to put a HDD where the cd/dvd goes Dell to make one and the part
number is DELL LABEL P/N 8T687-A00
. com...

Old March 15th 05, 08:49 PM
Nicholas Andrade

Fixer wrote:
You can buy all these on Ebay no problem at all as for the media b ay
caddy to put a HDD where the cd/dvd goes Dell to make one and the part
number is DELL LABEL P/N 8T687-A00

Ok, cool, I saw some listed on ebay, but couldn't find any reference to
the part on Dell's site. Does anyone know if there are any issues
booting off the bay from grub (in other words dual booting from it)?
Old March 16th 05, 09:34 PM
William P.N. Smith

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
I happen to have a spare notebook HDD (my previous laptops mobo died,
but the HDD still works) which I was hoping to use with my new D610, but
I was disappointed to find out Dell doesn't offer a HDD adaptor for the
drive bay (where the CD/DVD-ROM is).

Yes they do. Look for the parts used in the D-Bay hard drive.
Lessee... Check out http://www.bay-wolf.com/hdmedbay-d.htm Note that
the 5X488 screws are $5 each, and are pretty optional, so you can save
a bunch of money by not buying them.

Old March 17th 05, 12:14 AM
William P.N. Smith

Nicholas Andrade wrote:
Does anyone know if there are any issues
booting off the bay from grub (in other words dual booting from it)?

You don't have to be grubby(TM), just hit F12 on boot and it'll ask
you which device to boot from.

Old March 17th 05, 03:38 AM
Nicholas Andrade

William P.N. Smith wrote:
Nicholas Andrade wrote:

I happen to have a spare notebook HDD (my previous laptops mobo died,
but the HDD still works) which I was hoping to use with my new D610, but
I was disappointed to find out Dell doesn't offer a HDD adaptor for the
drive bay (where the CD/DVD-ROM is).

Yes they do. Look for the parts used in the D-Bay hard drive.
Lessee... Check out http://www.bay-wolf.com/hdmedbay-d.htm Note that
the 5X488 screws are $5 each, and are pretty optional, so you can save
a bunch of money by not buying them.

Thanks for the link.
Old April 21st 05, 02:24 AM
Edsuz

William, dunno if you have already bought the dell part.
What I did, got myself an external 2,5 inch HD which is USB power
fed.
Means I've got myself an extra 80 GB drive and the package is very
handy and works. (comparable to a PDA size)
So you're option would be : get the external 2,5 inch USB2 housing...
Seen it for less then 15 euro's on ebay...

ed