ASUS P6T6 Revolution hits 5.61 GHz

Old January 24th 09, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

Default ASUS P6T6 Revolution hits 5.61 GHz

See:
http://hothardware.com/News/Asus--Co...-of-561122MHz/

If money is no constraint, go for it. It's a new world record for the Core
i7 CPU.

Allot of interest in the P6T all of a sudden. Interesting.

William

Old January 25th 09, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
See:
http://hothardware.com/News/Asus--Co...-of-561122MHz/

If money is no constraint, go for it. It's a new world record for the Core
i7 CPU.

Allot of interest in the P6T all of a sudden. Interesting.

William

it doesnt say what he used for cooling, liquid nitrigen?

Pokeyman

Old January 25th 09, 10:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

pokey man wrote:
"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
See:
http://hothardware.com/News/Asus--Co...-of-561122MHz/

If money is no constraint, go for it. It's a new world record for the Core
i7 CPU.

Allot of interest in the P6T all of a sudden. Interesting.

William

it doesnt say what he used for cooling, liquid nitrigen?

Pokeyman

You can check the top 100 here, and see what they use.
My guess is a metal cylinder full of LN2. Some here
are using cascade. There is a water cooled one at 4.5GHz.

http://www.hwbot.org/listResults.do?...true&limit=100

(A cascade...)

http://www.net7.info/1/cascade4/1/4/DSC00498.jpg

I like the cascades, just for the sheer amount of
work that goes into them.

Paul

Old January 25th 09, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

"pokey man" wrote:
"William" wrote in message
acquisition...
See:
http://hothardware.com/News/Asus--Co...rd-of-561122MH
z/

If money is no constraint, go for it. It's a new world record for the
Core i7 CPU.

Allot of interest in the P6T all of a sudden. Interesting.

William

it doesnt say what he used for cooling, liquid nitrigen?

Pokeyman

Or frozen in a block of ice?

--
-
Old January 26th 09, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"Paul" wrote in message
pokey man wrote:
"William" wrote in message
[...]

why do you call it a cascade... thats a phase change (air conditioner)
machine and what is LN2? liquid nitrogen?

Pokeyman

Old January 26th 09, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

pokey man wrote:

why do you call it a cascade... thats a phase change (air conditioner)
machine and what is LN2? liquid nitrogen?

Pokeyman

You can find more info on all forms of cooling for overclocking,
on this site. I don't really visit here all that often,
so I don't keep good note of all the stuff they do.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/

LN2 is liquid nitrogen. -196C
Some people get their hands on that, while they're at university.

The cascade in the picture I linked to, was a three stage.
You can tie refrigeration loops together, so that the
heat from one loop is dumped into the next. The end result,
is the last loop has extremely cold output, like -115C.
The processor being overclocked, dumps a lot of heat, and
the cascade temperature rises depending on the number
of watts of heat being pumped. So there is a no-load
temperature, and then there is the temperature under load.

I understand there is also some scheme that uses mixed gases,
more than one refrigerant. That allows low temperatures to be
achieved, but with only one compressor.

Dry ice is CO2, and it is good for -78C. That is what you
use, if you cannot get liquid nitrogen. Both liquid nitrogen
and dry ice can give you skin burns (I've been zapped by both,
just enough to learn...). At one time, dry ice used to be
relatively easy to get, but I was never interested
enough to try. I don't think it is handed out quite
as easily now. (At one time, you could get it from
the local ice cream company, in small quantities. They
used to use it for local transportation, to keep the
product rock solid.)

With any of those methods, you have to avoid condensation around
the cooling head. Some people use neoprene sheets, placed so that
room air cannot come in contact with the sub-ambient bits. Motherboards
don't last too long, if you allow condensation to form, due to
using the materials or devices above. In some cases, the
motherboards die in about six months from those kinds of
experiments.

And that is where water cooling comes in. Since water cooling
doesn't go below ambient, that is a safe way to cool
more aggressively than with just air cooling alone.
No need for neoprene sheets and goop, with water.
So you can get a better overclock on water, than with
air.

This range of techniques yields a large variation
in overclocks. In some recent results for example,
each technique gives about 1GHz more than its
warmer competitor.

There is a limit to how cold you can go, and
still have the semiconductors work. I'm really
surprised the stuff still works when LN2 is
applied. I presume the temperature of the
processor, doesn't go all the way down to
-196C. The LN2 would boil vigorously, and
like the cascade, the resulting temp will be
above the -196C figure.

Fun stuff, if you can afford it.

If you check this old thread (no longer updated), you'll notice
that older technologies, actually had better peak
overclocking rates. Like a P4 670 (3.8GHz) at 7.6GHz.
The newer technologies give better computing
results, because they do more operations in
parallel per clock cycle. But in terms of
"best clocks", some of the older stuff gave
better results. Not that it matters.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=59753

Paul
Old January 26th 09, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
pokey man

"Paul" wrote in message
pokey man wrote:

[...]

thanks for the review, paul. already knew most of it, except cascade. you
can buy dry ice at meijers and some walmarts, however, most of these
procedures are impractical for regular use. the cold on the processor
allows it to go from a semi conductor to a super conductor because the
resistance in the circuits goes down as the temp goes down... theoretically,
at absoulte zero, resistance would be zero.. if i remember correctly from my
electronics engineering courses back in college.

cheers

Pokeyman