Ths group is hijacked by SPAM

Old April 21st 08, 08:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
smlunatick

Default Ths group is hijacked by SPAM

This once useful newsgroup is now full of SPAM that is is no longer
useful. What can be done to clear out the "junk?"
Old April 21st 08, 11:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Al Bundy

On Apr 21, 3:30 pm, smlunatick wrote:
This once useful newsgroup is now full of SPAM that is is no longer
useful. What can be done to clear out the "junk?"

Yea, this and almost every other group. You are not going to stop a
billion Chinese from posting what they think will make them rich. It's
not all Chinese either. It's often Americans selling Chinese crap. But
worse is that many groups seem to be infested with overbearing
homosexual posters. They take over a group and start posting
obscenities back and forth until the regulars leave. For many of them,
posting is the extent of their social life. I think Google's main
objective is to have as many posts and clicks as possible. They won't
take much action against abuse.
Old April 22nd 08, 12:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Howard Neil

Al Bundy wrote:
On Apr 21, 3:30 pm, smlunatick wrote:
This once useful newsgroup is now full of SPAM that is is no longer
useful. What can be done to clear out the "junk?"

Yea, this and almost every other group. You are not going to stop a
billion Chinese from posting what they think will make them rich. It's
not all Chinese either. It's often Americans selling Chinese crap. But
worse is that many groups seem to be infested with overbearing
homosexual posters. They take over a group and start posting
obscenities back and forth until the regulars leave. For many of them,
posting is the extent of their social life. I think Google's main
objective is to have as many posts and clicks as possible. They won't
take much action against abuse.

You could try filtering them out (I use Thunderbird but surely other
e-mail clients have filtering). I am virtually spam free after a few
days of applying filters. It was a little bit of work but was worth it.

--
Howard Neil
Old April 22nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
smlunatick

On Apr 21, 7:05*pm, Howard Neil wrote:
Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

I can bypass the posts with the smal subjects. It's not the "10 page
lenght" subjects that push the "good" posted question completely out
of the most newsgroups.
Old April 22nd 08, 03:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Alan

Al Bundy wrote:
On Apr 21, 3:30 pm, smlunatick wrote:
This once useful newsgroup is now full of SPAM that is is no longer
useful. *What can be done to clear out the "junk?"

I can bypass the posts with the smal subjects. It's not the "10 page
lenght" subjects that push the "good" posted question completely out
of the most newsgroups.

I see you're posting via Google Groups.
They obviously don't care about spammers using their service to swamp
much of Usenet, or give any way for users to filter out such spam.
I've looked in their "help" groups and can't even find any way to
communicate with them. Lots of complaints from users, not a single
reply.

I went back to a normal NNTP server and a newsreader that allows me to
killfilter.

There are a couple of decent free servers for text groups at least,
e.g. aioe.org and teranews.com.

if you must use Google Groups, see
http://www.penney.org/tag/killfile

However, you may find that many regular newsgroup users are killfiling
everything from Google Groups now and won't see your posts.

Old April 22nd 08, 04:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Calab

I can bypass the posts with the smal subjects. It's not the "10 page
lenght" subjects that push the "good" posted question completely out
of the most newsgroups.

I see you're posting via Google Groups.
They obviously don't care about spammers using their service to swamp
much of Usenet, or give any way for users to filter out such spam.
I've looked in their "help" groups and can't even find any way to
communicate with them. Lots of complaints from users, not a single
reply.

snip

if you must use Google Groups, see
http://www.penney.org/tag/killfile

However, you may find that many regular newsgroup users are killfiling
everything from Google Groups now and won't see your posts.

....and I'm one of them. If you're posting from GoogleGroups then you
might as well dress up as a Hare Krishna and hang out at the airport.

--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

Want a good newsgroup reader that will filter out GoogleGroups spam?
Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

Old April 22nd 08, 05:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Calab wrote:
[...]

If you do that you may get a protest from communist red china
Old April 22nd 08, 02:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
smlunatick

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Problem is that no ISP in my area is offering Usenet newsgroups. They
can send me to a free NNTP newsgroup reader service, with not
"posting" possibility. I am not willing to pay another service
provider $50 (CDN) for a service I use now and then.
Old April 22nd 08, 04:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Alan

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:50:18 -0700 (PDT), smlunatick
wrote:

On Apr 21, 10:43*pm, Alan wrote:

There are a couple of decent free servers for text groups at least,
e.g. aioe.org and teranews.com.

Problem is that no ISP in my area is offering Usenet newsgroups. They
can send me to a free NNTP newsgroup reader service, with not
"posting" possibility. I am not willing to pay another service
provider $50 (CDN) for a service I use now and then.

See above. Both these servers are free and allow posting.
(Technically, Teranews requires one $2 payment, and has some binary
groups.)

Even before the current spam tidal wave, I was very frustrated at the
limitations of Google Groups. It's useful for research, not
participation.

Old April 22nd 08, 05:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

wrote:

On Apr 21, 10:43 pm, Alan wrote:

There are a couple of decent free servers for text groups at least,
e.g. aioe.org and teranews.com.

Problem is that no ISP in my area is offering Usenet newsgroups. They
can send me to a free NNTP newsgroup reader service, with not
"posting" possibility. I am not willing to pay another service
provider $50 (CDN) for a service I use now and then.

See above. Both these servers are free and allow posting.
(Technically, Teranews requires one $2 payment, and has some binary
groups.)

Even before the current spam tidal wave, I was very frustrated at the
limitations of Google Groups. It's useful for research, not
participation.

Motzarella isn't bad for a free service, either. I had issues with
Teranews because from time to time my posts would take days to appear or
not appear at all. I don't have that problem with Motzarella. I'm seeing
a little spam, but not much.

TJ