memtest 86 v3.0 hanging

Old December 24th 03, 01:41 PM
GKenney

Default memtest 86 v3.0 hanging

Hi all,

I just finished building a new rig around a P4 3.2g and Asus p4c800-E
deluxe. I have 1 gig of Kingston hyper x memory (2-3-2-6-1). I changed my
bios settings which were default at (2.5-4-4-8-?) to match my RAM. I have
not had any issues in Window XP with lock ups or in any programs (I'm still

I had another issue that I thought might be memory related (turned out it
was a MB feature that was working as it should) so I ran Memtest86 v3.0.
Memtest hung up every time I tried to run it. It would hang at different
points (I think I got all the way to test 7 once). No errors had shown up at
that point.

Could that be an issue with my changes in memory settings? Can changing the
memory settings actually make the system slower?

Old December 24th 03, 05:50 PM
jaster

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:41:08 -0500, GKenney while doing time wrote:

Hi all,

I just finished building a new rig around a P4 3.2g and Asus p4c800-E
deluxe. I have 1 gig of Kingston hyper x memory (2-3-2-6-1). I changed
my bios settings which were default at (2.5-4-4-8-?) to match my RAM. I
have not had any issues in Window XP with lock ups or in any programs (I'm
still loading and testing stuff).

I had another issue that I thought might be memory related (turned out it
was a MB feature that was working as it should) so I ran Memtest86 v3.0.
Memtest hung up every time I tried to run it. It would hang at different
points (I think I got all the way to test 7 once). No errors had shown up
at that point.

Could that be an issue with my changes in memory settings? Can changing
the memory settings actually make the system slower?

I think it's best to use default settings first (except for boot sector
virus check) when building/upgrading. When everything works right then
change settings.
Old December 24th 03, 08:13 PM
GKenney

I think you are right. Everything was going fine and this was the last thing
on my list. But I should have done the memcheck first.
"jaster" wrote in message
news
[...]

FIC or HIS for a 9600Pro? Phrederick General 8 December 16th 03 12:17 PM
Memtest HMSDOC Homebuilt PC's 13 October 4th 03 06:47 PM
Xp2500 and memtest? Michael.Carlsson Overclocking AMD Processors 2 September 9th 03 09:43 PM
A7N8X + MEMTEST + PRIME95 - bad results Tim Auton Homebuilt PC's 3 July 19th 03 08:44 PM
Computer keeps hanging. Adrian General 1 June 28th 03 04:15 PM