PC Chips MB - will not initialize monitor

Old February 24th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default PC Chips MB - will not initialize monitor

I build pc's for disadvantaged children from donated parts. I am by no means
an expert, but sometimes know what I am doing (maybe?). I had two pc's which
were in my house when the power was struck by lightning. They were not even
plugged in, but the in-ground power line was struck 4 - 6 ft away from where
these pc's were sitting. They have not since been able to be booted. I
bought two new motherboards (PC Chips M825G Mainboard Via KM266Pro;Sckt A;
462 (integrated video, audio, lan)), the ram, drives, and monitor check out
as working on working pc's. But nothing will display on the monitor when
used on these new MB's, the fans start, the drive lights flash, but nothing
displays. I have tried multiple power supplies, and several processors
(XP1600, XP1800, 2- XP2400, all AMD's). Online there are notes that the
bios reset jumper sometimes causes confusion on this model, but it turns off
all fans, etc. so I don't believe this is the problem. Does anyone know of
anything I may have missed? All power supplies tested with were in the house
at the time of the strike, is it possible 4 power supplies all failed in a
way that is allowing the fans and drives to power up, but not initialize the
monitor (I assume this would be no power to the processor)? Is the chipset
in the M825 picky when it comes to memory? The memory was tested on a PC
Chips M811, and a ASUS A7V8X-LA.
Thanks.

Old February 24th 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Quite normal for fans to spin, lights glow, and computer not work. A
problem that could be power supply or could be other components of that
power supply 'system'.

Locating the problem is not about buying new parts - shotgunning. It
starts with two minutes and a multimeter. General description of what
to do and look for was described previously in:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004
at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5 Feb 2004
at
http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

In your case, the first voltage measurement starts with the purple
(+5VSB) line that should always have power if plug connects to wall.
Minimum acceptable voltage would be 5.87. Then move on to green wire
that would be much greater than 2.0 volts when computer is off and less
than 0.8 volts when power switch is pressed.

Other wires of significance are gray, red, yellow, and orange.
Furthermore, the numbers - not just above minimum but how much above -
are so useful as to be posted here for further information. What
happens to red, yellow, and orange as power switch is pressed can
provide further insight.

Once the power supply 'system' is verified, only then do you move on
to other 'usual' suspects. All this to identify a suspect faster and
without complications (and expense) created by 'shotgunning'.

Meanwhile, a direct lightning strike causing damage to interior
electronics suggests either you don't have the 'whole house' protector
(essential for transistor protection) or your protection system is not
properly earthed. If building does not, at minimum, meet post 1990
National Electrical Code (NEC) requirements, then household electronics
have no effective protection. The most critical component of
transistor protection is single point earth ground - not a protector.
This much larger topic discussed elsewhere such as in
comp.dcom.cabling entitled "problem between power and communication
cable" on 10 Feb 2005 at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V2D1134AA

Once you have established the computer's foundation - its power
supply system - is functional, only then are you ready to move on to
other 'suspects'. Multimeters are so essential, inexpensive, and
ubiquitous as to be sold even in Home Depot, Sears, Radio Shack, and
Lowes.