Windows 7 Memory Question

Old December 25th 10, 12:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_9_]

Default Windows 7 Memory Question (slightly OFF-TOPIC)

"GTS-NJ" wrote in message
SNIP

Ben,
I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I have
had was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306 which is
almost 5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a docking station
for my daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243 (you don't want to
know the age of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It was dual-booting Vista
& 7 but I downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am concerned about the power
supply. Is it a standard PSU? Would a preemptive replacement with a new
PSU prevent any issues?

Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask what
the fastest processor this motherboard would support (MCP61PM-AM). They
wanted pay-per-call tech support to call me the answer. It currently has
an AMD Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured out that this is a Brisbane
core running it at 65W. I think the 5600+ is the fastest at 65W but there
are 95W processors running up to 6000+. Would you know what the fastest
processor would be that would run natively on this board?

Any help appreciated.....Thanks.

Rich

I have also seen many eMachines with fried motherboards after power
supply failures. The Bestec 250W PSU is the one to especially watch out
for (label will show Bestec ATX-250-12E). If yours is that model and
you want to keep the machine for a few more years, a preemptive
replacement is well worth considering. I have done this for a few
customers. I'm leery or the Bestec brand because of this, but have seen
reports that the later modes (like the 350W) have proper overload
protection.,

See
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=154
for some interesting info. Particularly near the end "5VSB will kill your
mainboard when (not if) the caps fail "

Thanks for that link....extremely interesting & informative.
Here are the PSU's in the eMachines':

T3306 - Bestec 300W
T5243 - Delta Electronics 300W

I am inclined to believe that the problem is with the
250W Bestec model. So now I am cautiously on the fence about leaving the
Bestec 300W in the T3306 & comfortable about leaving the 300w PSU's in the
T5243's since it is made by a different manufacturer Delta Electronics.
Would you agree?

Thanks,

Rich

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5730 (20101224) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 25th 10, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/24/2010 6:08 PM, Rich wrote:

"GTS-NJ" wrote in message
[...]

Delta has been around for a long time and they have made millions of
power supplies for PC, Sun, DEC, etc. No need to mess with a Delta PSU.

I am a bit leery about any Bestec. They have an extremely bad
reputation to live donw and jonnyguru has done them no favors. Nor
should he! They deserve analyses like his. Maybe Acer-eGateMachines
people read his analysis and showed the door to Bestec? ... Ben Myers
Old December 25th 10, 12:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Ben Myers typed on Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:59:09 -0500:

[...]
eMachines along with HP/Compaq have used the trashy Bestec tower
supplies known for taking out motherboards when they failed. I have
scrapped dozens of eMachines boxes with perfectly good cases, bad
power supplies and fried motherboards...

That is very interesting Ben. I had two HP desktops with Bestec power
supplies. And when they were four years old I stuck a new DLink wireless
card in one of them. Then all hell broke out. Even when I removed the
DLink card, the computer no longer worked by LAN or any wireless card. I
did get an error message from DLink software and wrote it down. And I
though something happened to the motherboard and what a strange
coincidence.

So I put that DLink card in the other HP. Dang, that one now has the
same problems and no LAN or any wireless would work with this computer
now either. Called DLink and asking them why their card ruined both
computers and I gave them that error code. They told me it wasn't their
card, but that error means a problem with the computer itself. So it
wasn't their problem.

Now thinking about this and you saying this about Bestec power supplies
are making me wonder if that has anything to do with this problem? They
work fine using dialup, but no LAN and WLAN ever works after that one
DLink card was plugged in. Although today they are terrible computers
and I am not interested in repairing them. But I am still curious what
really happened.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Old December 25th 10, 06:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/24/2010 6:34 PM, BillW50 wrote:
[...]

Well, they are Bestec power supplies. Likely that the installation of
the DLink card caused a power supply malfunction.

One of the other postings here refers to a detailed enginnering-level
analysis and explanation of the serious shortcomings in the design of
the Bestec power supplies, right down to a leaked capacitor inside.
Interesting reading, and it corroborates what I have seen and other have
too.

If you ever decide to bring the HP (Pavilions, weren't they?) boxes back
to life to serve a useful purpose, do yourself a favor and replace the
power supply with even an old Dell one. Oh, never mind. They don't
work with any kind of network. Fodder for electronic scrap... Ben
Old December 25th 10, 04:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
Ben Myers typed on Sat, 25 Dec 2010 00:46:17 -0500:
Well, they are Bestec power supplies. Likely that the installation of
the DLink card caused a power supply malfunction.

Yes it sure points to this, doesn't it?

One of the other postings here refers to a detailed enginnering-level
analysis and explanation of the serious shortcomings in the design of
the Bestec power supplies, right down to a leaked capacitor inside.
Interesting reading, and it corroborates what I have seen and other
have too.

Wow! I would have loved reading this. I searched back to October 7th and
I could not find it (just this thread). Did a search on Google groups
and was surprised to find almost nothing. I guess I should peek in here
more often. ;-)

Old December 25th 10, 06:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
GTS-NJ

"Rich" wrote in message

"GTS-NJ" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. The Delta should be OK. "cautiously on the fence" re. the Bestec
300W is a good way to put it. It's probably safe though the Bestec name
makes me uneasy. It is the 250W unit that is known to have been the major
problem. FWIW, I have been seeing quite a few recent HPs with Bestec 300W
units and have not been recommending pre-emptive replacement.

Old December 25th 10, 07:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_9_]

"GTS-NJ" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message

"GTS-NJ" wrote in message
[...]

I think I agree & will follow what you recommend to your clients about the
300W Bestec. It has worked in my wife's T3306 for going on five years & is
attached to a nominal home/office UPS with battery. Hopefully that is
smoothing out any electrical spikes & anomalies.
Thanks for reading & replying.

Old December 28th 10, 01:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
w7pro[_4_]

Default Windows 7 Memory Question

Von Fourche;1265781 Wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of

anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine?
All she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on

netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

Hi, this is Ryan from the Windows 7 Professional outreach team. I think
you might find this comparative chart (http://bit.ly/CmpreEd) helpful in
getting the differences between the various Windows operating systems.
Most systems have integrated to Windows 7, so it is the latest OS out on
the market.

Old January 10th 11, 11:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Ben Myers writes:

On 12/21/2010 1:24 AM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Ben wrote in message
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

She currently has an old Dell with XP on it. Whenever it screws up I do a
complete factory restore and it seems to run
ok for a few days but then screws up again. I wonder if it has too little
ram. I will do a factory restore and a week later they can't use Explorer
to search the net. They have to use Chrome. Then the router which is
hooked up to the computer and xbox screws up - only one is able to be used
at a time. Either the computer can be plugged in and online or the xbox can
be plugged in and online. There are ports for both the computer and xbox,
it's a Linksys. But for some reason only one can be used.

The old Dell may also have an old and failing hard drive. This is one
possible explanation for a system going south regularly.

I had an early machine with one bad memory stick, and somehow
that led to HD corruption periodically until I diagnosed the
bad memory and removed it. This was in 1995, I don't know if
that could happen today.

Or gremlins entering from the outside world... Ben Myers

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)