Windows 7 Memory Question

Old December 22nd 10, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

Default Windows 7 Memory Question

On 12/21/2010 4:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Christopher wrote in message
t...
On 12/21/2010 4:14 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Christopher wrote in message
t...
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives
are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine?
All
she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

$298 walmart emachines EL1352G-01w with amd sempron 145 (passmark 916),
2gb (1gb in each of two available slots), 500gb 7200rpm sata, 16x dvdrw,
geforce 6150se graphics (g3dmark 53), media card reader, gigabit
ethernet,
windows 7 home premium 64, 1 year warranty (unclear if it is on site).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-...G-01w/15062989

$349 dell inspiron 570 (shipped free) with amd anthlon x2 240 (passmark
1591), 3gb (1gb in three of four available slots), 500gb 7200rpm sata,
16x
dvdrw, ati hd4200 graphics (g3dmark 147)), media card reader, gigabit
ethernet, windows 7 home premium 64, 1 year on site warranty
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-57...d=inspiron-570

the $350 dell is their lowest cost machine and it is a good entry level
configuration. but there is no mistaking that $350 is both $50 and 16%
more than $300. what it buys you is a 50% faster processor, a 300%
faster
video card, and little more memory which helps the overall

How bad is the Sempron compared to the athlon? I've not dealt with
those
cheaper processors before. Whenever I get a computer I make sure it has
good processor.

as previously stated, the anthlon is 50% fater than the sempron in these
particluar machines. plus the video card is 300% faster in the $350
machine. the slow machine will work, but it doesn't offer the as much
potential in a long usable life.

what machine are you used to using? what model and processor? in order
for any comparison to be meaningful you must have a reference.

Heck, I don't know anymore. It's a Dell. It's rock solid and does for
me. I don't play games on it though.
I'm looking at the Device Manager and see Intel Pentium 4 3.000Ghz.
Manufacture date tag on my computer is
12/2005. Wow. I had no idea my computer is five years old.

a p4 3ghz has a passmark rating of 491. the sempron 145 has a passmark
of 916, and the anthlon ii x2 24o has a passmark of 1591. and a
mid-range machine today with something like an i5 680 would have a
passmark of 4,223 and high performance machines would weigh in with
passmarks 6,000 to 9,000 range. these numbers represent a very rough
way to compare the performance between different machines. the bottom
line is that the sempron is totally functional, but the anthlon system
mentioned along with the much better video card and additional memory
sockets makes it a much better value. but $50 is $50 and if that means
the difference between their being food on the table or not then who
cares how fast the computer is...

Old December 22nd 10, 12:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Wow. My processor is old now. I think my relative can live with the
sempron.

Old December 22nd 10, 03:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/21/2010 6:28 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
[...]

i'll just assume that you meant "thank you." plonk.

Old December 23rd 10, 07:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...
On 12/21/2010 6:28 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Christopher wrote in message
i'll just assume that you meant "thank you." plonk.

We got the $300 e-machine. At that price it's just a throw away computer,
like a microwave. I just wanted to make sure it was not as slow as a
turtle. It's kind of crazy. She's getting a $375 iTouch 4 which I don't
think she wants or will use. But needed a new computer so it can handle
itunes and all that. So she's also getting this new emachines computer. The
iTouch costs more than the e-machines. lol. Probably more fun too.

Old December 23rd 10, 06:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/21/2010 1:24 AM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Ben wrote in message
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

She currently has an old Dell with XP on it. Whenever it screws up I do a
complete factory restore and it seems to run
ok for a few days but then screws up again. I wonder if it has too little
ram. I will do a factory restore and a week later they can't use Explorer
to search the net. They have to use Chrome. Then the router which is
hooked up to the computer and xbox screws up - only one is able to be used
at a time. Either the computer can be plugged in and online or the xbox can
be plugged in and online. There are ports for both the computer and xbox,
it's a Linksys. But for some reason only one can be used.

The old Dell may also have an old and failing hard drive. This is one
possible explanation for a system going south regularly.

Or gremlins entering from the outside world... Ben Myers
Old December 24th 10, 12:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_9_]

Default Windows 7 Memory Question (slightly OFF-TOPIC)

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? All
she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

From the usage I have had so far, 2GB should be fine for normal
run-of-the-mill use as you described. Only the Netflix video may tax the
memory. Not sure. I do not use Netflix.

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

http://www.eset.com

Ben,
I have heard of this power supply/motherboard issue with eMachines. I
currently own 3 eMachines; a T3306 & 2 T5243's. The worst problem I have had
was the DVD burner self-destructed after a year on the T3306 which is almost
5 years old now. However, I have just purchased a docking station for my
daughter's Dell laptop & took over her T5243 (you don't want to know the age
of the Dell XPS it is replacing). It was dual-booting Vista & 7 but I
downgraded to XP & 7. Now I am concerned about the power supply. Is it a
standard PSU? Would a preemptive replacement with a new PSU prevent any
issues?

Also, on an off-topic note, I contacted eMachine by e-mail to ask what the
fastest processor this motherboard would support (MCP61PM-AM). They wanted
pay-per-call tech support to call me the answer. It currently has an AMD
Athlon 4000+ (2.1Ghz). I have figured out that this is a Brisbane core
running it at 65W. I think the 5600+ is the fastest at 65W but there are 95W
processors running up to 6000+. Would you know what the fastest processor
would be that would run natively on this board?

Any help appreciated.....Thanks.

Rich

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5728 (20101223) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old December 24th 10, 05:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/23/2010 6:44 PM, Rich wrote:

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine?
All she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

From the usage I have had so far, 2GB should be fine for normal
[...]

The T5243 probably uses a standard-sized ATX12v power supply, but I
cannot say for sure. All of the eMachines I have seen since their move
to the black case with silver front were standard microATX cases.

Either measure the dimensions of the power supply or take a photo of the
back of the case and send it to me off-line. The hole pattern for the
mounting screws is important, too.

eMachines along with HP/Compaq have used the trashy Bestec tower
supplies known for taking out motherboards when they failed. I have
scrapped dozens of eMachines boxes with perfectly good cases, bad power
supplies and fried motherboards. For a long time, there was a hot and
expensive market for replacement eMachines motherboards.

Under the new Acer ownership, eMachines computers may have better power
supplies. I do not know for sure, because the last eMachines box I
handled was either a pre-LGA775 P4 or an older AMD box. I would be
curious to know the brand of power supply in each of your eMachines
computers.

I have miniscule expertise with AMD CPUs, so I can't advise as to which
CPU upgrade would work. Beyond the CPU wattage are considerations of
BIOS support for various CPU speeds. Also note that CPU wattage
consumption generally increases as CPU clock speed increases. I am
skeptical that all AMD Brisbanes consume 65w. But, again, I have not
really read any of the specs on AMD CPUs.

eMachines is like any other compnay wanting to charge for tech support
these days, especially when the topic is CPU upgrades, something in
which they cannot make any money.

Your best bet would be to determine the make/model of the T5243
motherboard and to obtain detailed motherboard specs for the same or
similar motherboards from the board manufacturer. For the most part,
OEM boards for eMachines and HP/Compaq are "specials", not standard off
the shelf generic models. The special OEM boards are often crippled
versions of standard boards. The exception is when Intel supplies the
board, and it is often a standard model... Ben Myers

Old December 24th 10, 06:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
GTS-NJ

SNIP

[...]

I have also seen many eMachines with fried motherboards after power supply
failures. The Bestec 250W PSU is the one to especially watch out for (label
will show Bestec ATX-250-12E). If yours is that model and you want to
keep the machine for a few more years, a preemptive replacement is well
worth considering. I have done this for a few customers. I'm leery or the
Bestec brand because of this, but have seen reports that the later modes
(like the 350W) have proper overload protection.,

See http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...print&reid=154
for some interesting info. Particularly near the end "5VSB will kill your
mainboard when (not if) the caps fail "

Old December 24th 10, 07:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Ben Myers" shared:
[........]
For the most part, OEM boards for eMachines and HP/Compaq
are "specials", not standard off the shelf generic models. The special
OEM boards are often crippled versions of standard boards. The
exception is when Intel supplies the board, and it is often a standard
model... Ben Myers

yikes! I would guess, then, that the "crippling" drops the price
that is charged to the OEM for the "special" motherboard. From
what you've seen, Ben, does this apply to Dell's motherboards as
well?

*TimDaniels*

Old December 24th 10, 09:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/24/2010 1:34 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" shared:
[........]
For the most part, OEM boards for eMachines and HP/Compaq
are "specials", not standard off the shelf generic models. The special
OEM boards are often crippled versions of standard boards. The
exception is when Intel supplies the board, and it is often a standard
model... Ben Myers

yikes! I would guess, then, that the "crippling" drops the price
that is charged to the OEM for the "special" motherboard. From
what you've seen, Ben, does this apply to Dell's motherboards as
well?

*TimDaniels*

With emachines, HPaq and others, the "crippled" OEM models lack many of
the BIOS features found in the generic boxed motherboards.
Overclocking, in particular, is not possible. Sometimes specific chips
are omitted from the motherboards, or less functional chips substituted,
e.g. 10/100 Ethernet instead of gigabit Ethernet.

With its motherboards-mounted-on-a-tray found in the Socket 478 and
early LGA775 systems, the Dell boards were custom by definition, to fit
the tray. However, they give every indication of being full-featured,
except for the BIOS. The older P4 and early LGA775 systems in the Mitac
microATX chassis all have a standard form factor, somewhat funky
physical connectors and they are all full-featured compared to similar
mostly Intel-branded models.

The newer BTX motherboard systems all seem to have standard
off-the-shelf motherboards. And so do the newer Vostro, Inspiron, and
Optiplex designs.

Dell, too, does not want people to overclock its systems. After all,
overclocking voids any warranty on the CPU and may well mess up the
system in other ways.

My summary, and this is no Dellbot talking, is that "crippled" is a good
term to apply to Acer-eGateMachines and HPaq motherboards, but not to
Dells. Many of the Gateway-branded P4 systems, up until Acer bought
them out, used Intel-branded motherboards and were generally of very
good quality. I have not had hands on with any recent post-Acer Gateway
boxes, but I can guess that if Acer is still manufacturing its own
(decent quality once upon a time) motherboards, that's what ends up in
Gateways now. But I have not seen an Acer branded motherboard in some
time... Ben