Cooling New Thin Laptop AC Power Supplies

Old December 20th 10, 08:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default Cooling New Thin Laptop AC Power Supplies

The thin AC power supplies that come with Dell
laptops now can be kept a lot cooler if they're

1. Strapped to a table leg, or

2. Balanced on edge on the floor.

A big (the really, really big size) binder clip
makes balancing easy, by giving it legs.

Balancing on edge not only increases airflow
across the thing, but it doubles the cooling area.

Old December 20th 10, 10:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"Ron Hardin" wrote:
The thin AC power supplies that come with Dell
laptops now can be kept a lot cooler if they're

1. Strapped to a table leg, or

2. Balanced on edge on the floor.

A big (the really, really big size) binder clip
makes balancing easy, by giving it legs.

Balancing on edge not only increases airflow
across the thing, but it doubles the cooling area.

I use a cookie cooler to suspend my laptop
1/4" above the desktop to give the cooling fan an
unrestricted air intake. I bought my cookie cooler
(a wire grid with 1/4" legs) at Bed Bath & Beyond
for about $6 plus tax. There are 2 sizes - the small
size that I bought - which is just right for 13" to 15"
laptops - and a larger size which would be right for
"desktop replacements".

*TimDaniels*

Old December 21st 10, 03:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/20/2010 4:25 PM, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ron Hardin" wrote:
The thin AC power supplies that come with Dell
laptops now can be kept a lot cooler if they're

1. Strapped to a table leg, or

2. Balanced on edge on the floor.

A big (the really, really big size) binder clip
makes balancing easy, by giving it legs.

Balancing on edge not only increases airflow
across the thing, but it doubles the cooling area.

I use a cookie cooler to suspend my laptop
1/4" above the desktop to give the cooling fan an
unrestricted air intake. I bought my cookie cooler
(a wire grid with 1/4" legs) at Bed Bath& Beyond
for about $6 plus tax. There are 2 sizes - the small
size that I bought - which is just right for 13" to 15"
laptops - and a larger size which would be right for
"desktop replacements".

*TimDaniels*

Cool idea! Next thing you know, Best Buy will be selling cookie coolers
for $20... Ben Myers
Old December 23rd 10, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In m,
Timothy Daniels typed on Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:25:20 -0800:
I use a cookie cooler to suspend my laptop
1/4" above the desktop to give the cooling fan an
unrestricted air intake. I bought my cookie cooler
(a wire grid with 1/4" legs) at Bed Bath & Beyond
for about $6 plus tax. There are 2 sizes - the small
size that I bought - which is just right for 13" to 15"
laptops - and a larger size which would be right for
"desktop replacements".

Slick idea Tim. I also noticed when you raise the laptop off of the desk
like you are doing, generally lowers the temp by 10°F too. Also it cuts
down dust clogging the fan tremendously. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Old December 23rd 10, 02:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"BillW50" wrote:
Timothy Daniels:
I use a cookie cooler to suspend my laptop
1/4" above the desktop to give the cooling fan an
unrestricted air intake. I bought my cookie cooler
(a wire grid with 1/4" legs) at Bed Bath & Beyond
for about $6 plus tax. There are 2 sizes - the small
size that I bought - which is just right for 13" to 15"
laptops - and a larger size which would be right for
"desktop replacements".

Slick idea Tim. I also noticed when you raise the laptop
off of the desk like you are doing, generally lowers the
temp by 10°F too. Also it cuts down dust clogging the
fan tremendously. ;-)

It is a *cool* idea! :-) But its wasn't my idea
originally. Someone in this or another NG wrote
simply: "I use a cookie cooler!", and I had no idea
that there was such a thing or how it was constructed.
But lo and behold, a call to a household goods store
revealed that they exist as a common baking utensil
that allows cookies to cool down after baking so that
they won't stick to things or bend into weird shapes
before they firm up. I suspect that most bakers would
line it with a layer of aluminum foil before placing the
freshly baked cookies on it. The one from Bed Bath
& Beyond is painted black and it just seems visually
designed for my laptop PC.

*TimDaniels*

Old December 27th 10, 07:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica[_3_]

lol More commonly known as "cooling racks" but "cookie cooler" works for
me
I've been a laptop owner for less than two weeks and had forgotten about
cooling pads
till someone asked if I had one. This is the one I plan on getting unless
someone can tell me
why I shouldn't.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooli...3431183&sr=1-3
How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get too
warm, but, I don't know
how warm is "too warm".
Monica

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
m...
Timothy Daniels:

Old December 27th 10, 02:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In news Monica typed on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 00:49:35 -0600:
lol More commonly known as "cooling racks" but "cookie cooler"
works for me
I've been a laptop owner for less than two weeks and had forgotten
about cooling pads
till someone asked if I had one. This is the one I plan on getting
unless someone can tell me
why I shouldn't.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooli...3431183&sr=1-3
How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get
too warm, but, I don't know
how warm is "too warm".
Monica

Hi Monica! Well max power per USB2 port is 2.5 watts. I believe some use
one port and some use two. So that would be 2.5 to 5 watts of power. And
from a battery, that could cut down a battery normally lasting 2 hours,
down to about an hour and a half.

One of the things that strikes me odd about those cooling pads, as they
usually pull air down from the top. Yet many laptops generally pull air
from the bottom. So when you use them together, the fans are fighting
against each other. And that isn't very good. Yeah it works, but the
fans are working harder than they should be.

You know how many keyboards have folding legs in the back to raise the
keyboard up at an angle? Well I am always puzzled why they don't do the
very same for laptops? And I made my own legs to do this with my
laptops. And just this alone lowers the outside bottom temperature of
the laptop by 10°F. And lowers the CPU temperature by 15°F. Which is
about what you get from one of those cooling pads anyway.

So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next choice.
And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2¢ worth.

Old December 27th 10, 02:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
BillW50 typed on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 07:17:35 -0600:
[...]
So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next
choice. And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2¢ worth.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention another benefit with the legs. As some
people likes to set their laptop down on a bed, cushion, pillow, or
whatever. This of course almost always blocks the air flow and many
laptops have overheated in this way. But I have found if the legs in the
back are generally 2 or more inches, the laptops won't overheat (and
stays cool) and still has plenty of air flow underneath them. ;-)

Old December 27th 10, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_3_]

"BillW50" wrote:
Monica typed:
[...]

Pulling an extra 2.5 watts off the battery also increases the heat load
on the battery. IMHO, the best way is to provide good passive air flow
by keeping the air intakes unrestricted. This could be as simple as lifting
the laptop a 1/4" up off the surface of a desk. For real "laptop" use, a
simple serving tray sitting on one's lap could serve as a smooth desk.
The whole problem is really caused by use of the term "laptop PC",
since (in my experience) setting the "laptop" on one's lap usually causes
overheating for devices containing a graphics card and a 7200rpm hard
disk drive and a decent CPU.

*TimDaniels*

Old December 30th 10, 11:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Bill, I called Logitech about their N100 Cooling Pad and asked how much
power it pulls from the laptop's battery. It uses one usb port. Not sure
if I worded the question right or even if I got the right answer but he said
"5 volts, 200mAs". Does that make sense or tell you anything about how much
it drains the laptop's battery?
Also this pad has a rear air intake so as not to be confined when sitting on
one's lap or laying on a bed or even sitting on a hard surface. The
concaved top allows for air circulation underneath the laptop and the slots
on the top of cooling pad help push cool air towards the bottom of the
laptop and away while fresh air is pulled from the rear of the pad.
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad2.jpg
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad1.jpg
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad3.jpg
Several people report not being able to hear the cooling pad, it's that
quiet.
So, after looking at these pictures and reading this message, does it help
change your mind about it at all or do you still feel it won't be as
effective as it needs to be?
Thanks,
Monica