Best DVD format for the NEC 2510 DVD-Burner?

Old June 7th 04, 04:54 PM
steeler

"J-A-K-E" wrote in message
Ref: 8x datatsafe "fuji" dye

SVP told me they would only Burn at 4x .........Anyone confirm?

SVP lie. I tested 8 all at 8x

Old June 7th 04, 04:55 PM
steeler

"Dave" wrote in message

"Raiden" wrote in message
"Gameface" wrote in

message
Can anyone help me - I'm looking to buy one of the new

dual-layer
burners -
as the new media won't be out for a few weeks I just

wanted to know what
is
the next best format to buy (DVD-R or DVD+R) in both

quality & value for
money.

Thanks

I guess SVP could always answer your question if you email

them, maybe.

Going OT here slightly but I am considering one of these

drives, can anyone
answer the following?

1) What is the fastest that Dual Layer drives will go to?

I have been told
that something like 8 or 16x is the theoretical maximum

for the current non
Dual Layer burners. Or is this BS?

12x is the current fastest i believe (but i havent seen one
available in the uk yet) 16x looks possible.

Drives on the market are mostly 8x (comercial prices anyway)

2) The previous drive from NEC that isn't Dual Layer but

can be made so via
firmware upgrade - has this been done successfully without

problems yet?

The firmware update works, only prob i know about is that on
some machines when you turn your computer on the drive
opens...... annoying, but hardly anything to panic about.

firmware works but as no media is available no tests can be run.

Old June 7th 04, 05:31 PM
Dave

"steeler" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

"Raiden" wrote in message
[...]

Sony are apparantly going to release a 12x dual layer burner shortly
(i expect that to be around 200 quid ( )

2) The previous drive from NEC that isn't Dual Layer but

can be made so via
firmware upgrade - has this been done successfully without

problems yet?

The firmware update works, only prob i know about is that on
some machines when you turn your computer on the drive
opens...... annoying, but hardly anything to panic about.

firmware works but as no media is available no tests can be run.

Dual layer media is available overseas (specifically in asia) and
apparantly it has been tested and works on the upgraded nec drive,
though i dont always trust dodgy taiwanese to english translation on
the web. We shall see if its true in the next couple of months

Old June 9th 04, 02:36 PM
Adam H

Ref: 8x datatsafe "fuji" dye

SVP told me they would only Burn at 4x .........Anyone confirm?

SVP lie. I tested 8 all at 8x

I just bought a 2510 and a pack of DataSafe 8x, and they will only burn at
4x. Maybe I need a firmware upgrade? I would have thought a new 8x drive
would come with the appropriate version, though. Does anybody know where I
can get an official 2510 firmware? NEC's site is useless.

Old June 9th 04, 02:44 PM
Shevek

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:36:28 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H"
wrote:

Ref: 8x datatsafe "fuji" dye

SVP told me they would only Burn at 4x .........Anyone confirm?

SVP lie. I tested 8 all at 8x

I just bought a 2510 and a pack of DataSafe 8x, and they will only burn at
4x. Maybe I need a firmware upgrade? I would have thought a new 8x drive
would come with the appropriate version, though. Does anybody know where I
can get an official 2510 firmware? NEC's site is useless.

www.herrie.org lists the official as well as hacked firmwares - not
sure about the 2510 tho...

also try www.firmware-flash.com

HTH

--

Shevek
Old June 9th 04, 02:59 PM
Adam H

www.herrie.org lists the official as well as hacked firmwares - not
sure about the 2510 tho...

also try www.firmware-flash.com

HTH

Herrie didn't have any 2510s, and firmware-flash only had a region hacked
one, and I have had terrible experiences with hacked firmwares in the past,
so I am not too interested in that one. Thanks for the quick reply, though.
I just sent an email off to NEC, so I hope they will have an answer for
me... in 3 weeks or so :-)

Old June 9th 04, 03:12 PM
Shevek

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:59:13 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H"
wrote:

www.herrie.org lists the official as well as hacked firmwares - not
sure about the 2510 tho...

also try www.firmware-flash.com

HTH

Herrie didn't have any 2510s, and firmware-flash only had a region hacked
one, and I have had terrible experiences with hacked firmwares in the past,
so I am not too interested in that one. Thanks for the quick reply, though.
I just sent an email off to NEC, so I hope they will have an answer for
me... in 3 weeks or so :-)

I assume you got to this page?

http://www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557

If it's not on there I'm not sure there is one yet...

--

Shevek
Old June 9th 04, 03:31 PM
Adam H

I assume you got to this page?

http://www.necd.de/softwareoverview2.php/id/557

If it's not on there I'm not sure there is one yet...

Yes, that's the page I originally tried. Maybe it's not a firmware issue at
all, but it sure would be nice to be able to get 8x speed.

Old June 14th 04, 03:49 AM
Psych

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:31:55 +0100, Dave wrote:

"steeler" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

"Raiden" wrote in message
[...]

sorry, but you mean dual format, not layer.

i'd iagine that the liteon would be cheaper,
seeing as they manufature the sony's (price premium) as well.

also i believe that benq, and a few other manufacturers have stated that
they'd offer free firmware upgrades to dual layer for some models of
exisitng drives. could be worth investigating.

and if anyone wants the sony dual layer drive, they might want to
investigate the latest standard gigabyte drive, same internals, and a much
cheaper price. firmware upgrade and you're laughing.

the only real question about these dual layer disks is compatibility. all
the online tests i've seen haven't looked too favourable with regards to pc
drives.

pesonally i'm waiting to see what lg does. a dual layer, triple format
drive will be hard to resist, espeially when it'll be cheaper than the big
brands
..
snip

--
Psych (ICQ: 26170489)
the internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever.com