Diection of airflow - ATI 9700 Pro

Old June 16th 04, 09:56 PM
Malam

Default Diection of airflow - ATI 9700 Pro

To assist the cooling of my AIW 9700Pro, I need to find out the
direction of the airflow on the ATI cooling fan - is it blowing cool
air into the chip or extracting air hot air from the chip?
Also the Thermaltake CPU cooling Volcano 7+, is it extrating from the
CPU ?
This is to help me position a PCI cooling fan correctly.
Thanks.

Old June 18th 04, 08:52 AM
GMAN

In article , Malam wrote:
To assist the cooling of my AIW 9700Pro, I need to find out the
direction of the airflow on the ATI cooling fan - is it blowing cool
air into the chip or extracting air hot air from the chip?
Also the Thermaltake CPU cooling Volcano 7+, is it extrating from the
CPU ?
This is to help me position a PCI cooling fan correctly.
Thanks.

Cooling fans should always blow INTO the heatsink.
Old June 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Sham B

Would it not be quicker just to hold a short thread of cotton in front of the heatsink and see which
way it bends?

No?!

Sheesh.

Old June 19th 04, 01:11 AM
First of One

Except there's almost no space under the fan on most video cards. Even if
the fan were blowing toward the card, the reflected airflow may be enough to
repell the cotton.

t.net...

Old June 19th 04, 01:17 AM
First of One

Not according to this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cooling/sho...tml?i=1571&p=3

Low-profile heat sinks for 1U rackmount servers tend to perform better when
the fan exhausts from the heat sink. A video card's heat sink has even less
elbow room than a 1U CPU sink, so the answer is definitely not cut-and-dry.

Old June 19th 04, 02:42 PM
patrickp

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:17:48 GMT, "First of One"
wrote:

Not according to this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/cooling/sho...tml?i=1571&p=3

Low-profile heat sinks for 1U rackmount servers tend to perform better when
the fan exhausts from the heat sink. A video card's heat sink has even less
elbow room than a 1U CPU sink, so the answer is definitely not cut-and-dry.

Personally, I've always found that a system cools better as a whole
with fans sucking air away from heatsinks rather than blowing onto
them. In addition, although you may have the same amount of air
passing through, heatsinks and fans seem to collect less dust this
way.

A lot of heatsinks now, however, are quite high to give more surface
area for heat exchange and this suits a fan blowing onto, rather than
away from the heatsink. A shroud over the heatsink will generally
enable it to work just as well with an exhausting fan, though -
probably even better!

Most videocard fans seem to blow onto the heatsink nowadays, though,
as do most CPU fans.

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old June 19th 04, 05:42 PM
Malam

I think I've resolved the issue somewhat by installing two case fans
at the front drawing air into the case and two at the rear drawing
out of the case. I replaced the fan that came with ATI AIW 9700Pro
with a Vantec Iceberq4. My CPU is running at 30C and the Motherboard
is at 24C at idle.

I appreciate your comments gentlemen.

Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Homebuilt PC's 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Radeon 9700 PRO - How hot is 2 hot? Thom Culbertson Ati Videocards 7 August 10th 03 11:18 PM
Is this a 9700 or a 9700 Pro? Lowen B. Holde Ati Videocards 2 July 9th 03 11:55 PM