19 minute boot???

Old October 2nd 05, 11:27 PM
Shepİ

This is your first mistake... Symantec stuff is more likely to trash your PC
than fix it.

This I agree.

Same goes for registry cleaners.

This is bull****

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Old October 3rd 05, 02:29 AM
Noozer

"Shepİ" wrote in message
news

This is your first mistake... Symantec stuff is more likely to trash your
PC
than fix it.

This I agree.

Same goes for registry cleaners.

This is bull****

OK... I'll qualify my remark.

Registry cleaners should not be used by novices.

Old October 3rd 05, 03:04 AM
Robert Heiling

s_landa wrote:

Today, it takes 19 minutes to go from the "pci device listings" screen and
the xp splash screen. (Before the "welcome" screen.) Usually this is the
place where the "operating system not found" happens. Not today.

I've tried Tune up 2006. Norton. Reg clean. All seem to fix problems,
but not this one.

Help

Thank you

I've looked at this and your other posts on this and you say that it
runs fine once it is booted up. Are you perhaps saying that the 19 min
delay is only on your first boot of the day? What happens after it has
booted and is running fine and you do a shutdown and then another boot?
Do you still get that delay or does it come right up? This might be the
same as a problem I had. Also, how old is that machine?

Bob
Old October 3rd 05, 04:51 AM
s_landa

Robert Heiling wrote in
:

s_landa wrote:

Today, it takes 19 minutes to go from the "pci device listings"
screen and the xp splash screen. (Before the "welcome" screen.)

I've looked at this and your other posts on this and you say that it
runs fine once it is booted up. Are you perhaps saying that the 19 min
delay is only on your first boot of the day? What happens after it has
booted and is running fine and you do a shutdown and then another
boot? Do you still get that delay or does it come right up? This might
be the same as a problem I had. Also, how old is that machine?

Bob

Yes, it happens everytime I boot. Even after re-boot. The Medion is about
3 years old. p4 2.4

Good questions, thanks.
Old October 3rd 05, 05:46 AM
P Ruetz

"s_landa" wrote in message
.18...
Robert Heiling wrote in
:

s_landa wrote:

Today, it takes 19 minutes to go from the "pci device listings"
screen and the xp splash screen. (Before the "welcome" screen.)

Yes, it happens everytime I boot. Even after re-boot. The Medion is
about
3 years old. p4 2.4

Good questions, thanks.

Did you try bootvis to see what the machine is doing? It might be helpful.

Peter

Old October 3rd 05, 10:26 AM
John Corliss

s_landa wrote:
Today, it takes 19 minutes to go from the "pci device listings" screen and
the xp splash screen. (Before the "welcome" screen.) Usually this is the
place where the "operating system not found" happens. Not today.

I've tried Tune up 2006. Norton. Reg clean. All seem to fix problems,
but not this one.

Help

Sounds like you might want to update your BIOS. Last week doing that
corrected a hardware problem on a computer I was working on.

--
Regards from John Corliss
Old October 3rd 05, 11:23 AM
Cody

"P Ruetz" wrote in message
. ..

"s_landa" wrote in message
.18...
Robert Heiling wrote in
:

s_landa wrote:

Today, it takes 19 minutes to go from the "pci device listings"
screen and the xp splash screen. (Before the "welcome" screen.)

Yes, it happens everytime I boot. Even after re-boot. The Medion is
about
3 years old. p4 2.4

Good questions, thanks.

Did you try bootvis to see what the machine is doing? It might be
helpful.

Peter

How does one use this program?

Cody

Old October 4th 05, 12:07 AM
Shepİ

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:29:45 GMT As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep
and then "Noozer" wrote :

"Shepİ" wrote in message
news

This is your first mistake... Symantec stuff is more likely to trash your
PC
than fix it.

This I agree.

Same goes for registry cleaners.

This is bull****

OK... I'll qualify my remark.

Registry cleaners should not be used by novices.

Why not?
They all make backups of what they take out so it's easy to return the
system to it's prior state

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Old October 4th 05, 01:15 AM
P Ruetz

"Cody" wrote in message

"P Ruetz" wrote in message
. ..

"s_landa" wrote in message
.18...
Robert Heiling wrote in
:

s_landa wrote:

Today, it takes 19 minutes to go from the "pci device listings"
screen and the xp splash screen. (Before the "welcome" screen.)

Yes, it happens everytime I boot. Even after re-boot. The Medion is
about
3 years old. p4 2.4

Good questions, thanks.

Did you try bootvis to see what the machine is doing? It might be
helpful.

Peter

How does one use this program?

Cody

You just fire it up and select an option from the trace menu (next boot,
next boot and driver delays, next standby, next hibernate). When you go
through the item to trace (e.g. reboot your machine) it will show you
graphically what the machine spent it's time doing . It's pretty simple (by
Microsoft). It also has options to try to optimize the boot process, but
the OP has more basic problems to worry about.

I did have problems with my new Dell with a Pentium D, so I'm not sure how
robust it is. It did work fine with my old Dell with a P4 and was quite
useful.

Peter

Old October 4th 05, 09:45 AM
Cody