Best for Server

Old January 2nd 04, 01:10 AM
Just Wondering

Default Best for Server

If a PIII dual processor was used as a server, is it faster than a single
processor P4????

Old January 2nd 04, 04:59 AM
kony

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 01:10:17 GMT, "Just Wondering"
wrote:

If a PIII dual processor was used as a server, is it faster than a single
processor P4????

What, EXACTLY, is this going to be serving? Dynamic pages or scripts
or using a database or something more simple?

How many users?

More often than not, the bottleneck is the LAN. A basic webserver
will run fine from a Celeron 300... just depends on what you're doing.
Old January 2nd 04, 02:20 PM
Just Wondering

It will be used mostly as a IRC, storage, chat, FTP. Seems I might be able
to set up a dual PIII board for around $200.....
able.rogers.com...

Old January 2nd 04, 05:55 PM
kony

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 14:20:04 GMT, "Just Wondering"
wrote:

It will be used mostly as a IRC, storage, chat, FTP. Seems I might be able
to set up a dual PIII board for around $200.....

You still haven't mentioned the number of (simultaneous) users, but a
single P3 should be more than enough.

Old January 3rd 04, 09:43 PM
kony

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:52:42 GMT, "Just Wondering"
wrote:

I expect at the most 4 at a time

Oh, well the CPU probably isn't the issue then, it's merely that your
motherboard is new enough to support the amount of memory and size of
HDD you want/need use... in other words, a 40+GB drive may not be
compatible with a socket 7 box (without an undesirable overlay or
add-on card) even though a P200MMX would probably be enough for the
server, providing you used an OS more streamlined than Win2K Server or
newer.

The above "P200MMX" isn't really a suggestion, as the motherboard for
it would be old enough to become a liability, slowly wearing out from
old age. If I had to build a box for your purpose I'd build it around
whichever I had the most support parts for, with a motherboard that
wasn't over 5 years old, not junk even-in-it's-day, or used
"stressfully".... if you have a lot of extra memory and a CPU lying
around, build around that, whichever is cost-effective. From scratch
a single P3 800MHz would be good, comparitively cool running and quiet
with the right HSF.

Old January 4th 04, 05:28 AM
kony

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 02:50:42 GMT, "Just Wondering"
wrote:

Actually had my eye on a dual P3 933,,,,what would your opinion be of that??

Like I've already mentioned, it's overkill, a senseless waste of the
2nd CPU, more expensive motherboard, more heat and power, need for
larger case and power supply, and usually more noise. If this server
were doing something demanding, with hundreds of users, it'd be a
different story, but 4 users? A 486 could actually handle that
running Linux.

Then again, we all like fancy toys.