Is GeForce FX 5600 Ultra good ?

Old June 26th 03, 03:18 PM
Jeffx

Default Is GeForce FX 5600 Ultra good ?

i have a gffx5600ultra @388/911mhz and i want to know if the version 400/800
is faster than mine.

Old June 27th 03, 12:05 AM
Thomas Andersson

Jeffx wrote:

i have a gffx5600ultra @388/911mhz and i want to know if the version
400/800 is faster than mine.

I thought the rev 1 5600 Ultras never hit the market? What card is it?
The 5600 Ultra v2 cards uses a flip chip GPU and faster ram (2.2ns seems to
be the norm).
From the few reviews I've seen it looks like the new one is a good
overclocker and reaches like 490/980 with standard cooling.
(If anyone will make a card with faster than 2.2ns ram and then some water
coolinga dn ram cooling it would be interesting tos ee what it can do)

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old June 27th 03, 12:07 AM
Ken

"Jeffx" wrote in
:

i have a gffx5600ultra @388/911mhz and i want to know if the version
400/800 is faster than mine.

IMHO the radeon 9600 pro is a much greater deal.
Old June 27th 03, 01:59 AM
Dave

"Ken" wrote in message
"Jeffx" wrote in
:

i have a gffx5600ultra @388/911mhz and i want to know if the version
400/800 is faster than mine.

IMHO the radeon 9600 pro is a much greater deal.

The GFX 5600 U fc will smoke it. Not only that but it will also beat a 9500
pro. Nvidia is poised to own this segment. This is where most of the video
card dollars are spent. Give it another month for things to smooth out and
all the manufactures come out with their boards and watch this baby pick up
where the ti4200 left off.

Dave

Old June 27th 03, 05:49 AM
OverKlocker

The GFX 5600 U fc will smoke it. Not only that but it will also beat a 9500
pro. Nvidia is poised to own this segment. This is where most of the video
card dollars are spent. Give it another month for things to smooth out and
all the manufactures come out with their boards and watch this baby pick up
where the ti4200 left off.

Dave

really???
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1812&p=15

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1797&p=15

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...n_9600-28.html

they seem pretty close to me, with a slight advantage going to the
9600Pro
Old June 27th 03, 06:03 AM
Thomas Andersson

OverKlocker wrote:

The GFX 5600 U fc will smoke it. Not only that but it will also
beat a 9500 pro. Nvidia is poised to own this segment. This is
where most of the video card dollars are spent. Give it another
month for things to smooth out and all the manufactures come out
with their boards and watch this baby pick up where the ti4200 left
off.

really???
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1812&p=15
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1797&p=15
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...n_9600-28.html

they seem pretty close to me, with a slight advantage going to the
9600Pro

You're missing one thing though, Both the above comparisons are against a FX
5600 Ultra *REV 1*, since then they've made changes like going to higher
core speed, higher ram speed, faster ram chips (think the rev1's used 2.5ns
whereas the rev 2 uses 2.2ns ram) and made the GPU a flipchip with higher oc
capability...
I think if you look for new reviews using other than reference design Rev 1
5600 Ultras you'll find the picture have changed...

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old June 27th 03, 06:20 AM
OverKlocker

You're missing one thing though, Both the above comparisons are against a FX
5600 Ultra *REV 1*, since then they've made changes like going to higher
core speed, higher ram speed, faster ram chips (think the rev1's used 2.5ns
whereas the rev 2 uses 2.2ns ram) and made the GPU a flipchip with higher oc
capability...
I think if you look for new reviews using other than reference design Rev 1
5600 Ultras you'll find the picture have changed...

Best Wishes
Thomas

i'm all for doin' research... i got these from the most recient
articles on those sites. (aint got time to check them ALL out...LOL)
if ya got a link, please post it. if it appears to be a good review
site, i'll keep it in mind for further research.
Old July 21st 03, 03:33 AM
Darthy

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:20:39 -0500, OverKlocker
wrote:

i'm all for doin' research... i got these from the most recient
articles on those sites. (aint got time to check them ALL out...LOL)
if ya got a link, please post it. if it appears to be a good review
site, i'll keep it in mind for further research.

here is a recently made and very good comparison chart of the 440mx up
to the 9600 / 5900.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-12.html

(80 page video cardS review) ouch!

The IMPORTANT thing about ALL these cards as of today...

256mb versions are ALL WASTE OF MONEY - or bragging rights.

Both ATI & Nvidia chips have showno 0% improvement in performance.

Whats sad is that the 9600ATI is for sure, a slower card than the 9500
(but cheaper to make and sell).

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old July 21st 03, 04:32 PM
jaster

wrote:

i'm all for doin' research... i got these from the most recient
articles on those sites. (aint got time to check them ALL out...LOL)
if ya got a link, please post it. if it appears to be a good review
site, i'll keep it in mind for further research.

here is a recently made and very good comparison chart of the 440mx up
to the 9600 / 5900.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/..._guide-12.html

(80 page video cardS review) ouch!

The IMPORTANT thing about ALL these cards as of today...

256mb versions are ALL WASTE OF MONEY - or bragging rights.

Both ATI & Nvidia chips have showno 0% improvement in performance.

Whats sad is that the 9600ATI is for sure, a slower card than the 9500
(but cheaper to make and sell).

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Oh! You know, I am so happy I dropped $180 on the GF4-Ti4200 a year or so
ago. Last time I checked THG vga comparisions the Ti4200 was in 4th place.
Seriously, it's still serving me well enough that I ain't gonna drop $$$ on
a new card.