sata hdd detected after shutdown but not detected after reboot

Old June 3rd 09, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
ppp

Default sata hdd detected after shutdown but not detected after reboot

Hi,
I have a msi p35-neo motherboard with the newest bios. I am trying to make
it work with a Samsung sata hdd. What's the problem? So when I unplug the
computer from the power supply and then switch it on the hdd is detected
by bios and windows boots. Then If I'll reboot from within windows the hdd
isn't detected anymore and I get 'insert bootable media' error. When I
power off the computer from within windows the disk is detected properly.
There is no RAID on this mobo. The same thing happens with other disks
(wd, seagate).

Any ideas?

Old June 3rd 09, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GlowingBlueMist[_2_]

ppp wrote:
Hi,
I have a msi p35-neo motherboard with the newest bios. I am trying to
make it work with a Samsung sata hdd. What's the problem? So when I
unplug the computer from the power supply and then switch it on the
hdd is detected by bios and windows boots. Then If I'll reboot from
within windows the hdd isn't detected anymore and I get 'insert
bootable media' error. When I power off the computer from within
windows the disk is detected properly. There is no RAID on this mobo.
The same thing happens with other disks (wd, seagate).

Any ideas?

Two of the most common problems causing your kind of problem is either bad
capacitors on the motherboard or the most likely problem these days is a
power supply that is right at the edge of not being able to run your system.

A flashlight can aid in looking for bulging or leaking capacitors (usually
brown substance on end of capacitors).

As for the power supply, unfortunately the only real test for those at home
is to try another power supply rated equal to or even better higher in
wattage.

Good luck with the problem.