P4S800: Bluescreen of death on Win2k Installation (STOP: 0x24 ntfs.sys)

Old January 1st 04, 10:02 AM
Dennis

Default P4S800: Bluescreen of death on Win2k Installation (STOP: 0x24 ntfs.sys)

I really need to speak with someone thats done a few dozen windows
installations. I spent the evening attempting to Install Win2k over 10
times. Now its personal! I will not rest until this POS does what it's
supposed to.
I've done dozens of Windoze installations over the years and built
many computers, I've never had this much trouble. Any help is
appreciated.

History: This machine (Asus P4S800 2.6gzh P4 w/ 256m ddr400)
originally had Windows XP on it when I received it. But I quickly
discovered something was very wrong with the XP install. When I tried
to access anything related to the system (such as "Windows Update" or
add Users) I got the blue screen of death quoting STOP: 0x24 etc etc
regarding ntfs.sys. Various attempts to access deeper functions of the
OS got the same result. Also heavy LAN traffic would cause this.

So I wiped XP and did a fresh install of Win2k. I formatted the drive
nice and clean, made new ntfs partitions, etc. On install I got the
blue screen of death with the same STOP 0x24 error. On install! Before
win2k was even really loaded. Refusing to quit I reformatted with ntsc
and tried again a few more times with no love. Out of desparation I
formatted it again as FAT32 and was able to get the system booted. But
when I went to "Windows Update" again I got my old blue friend with
the same STOP 0x24 error this time referencing a fat32 driver file.

This goes on and on, I tried every trick in my book including three
seperate installs w/ format from three different Win2k disks and one
WinXP disk. It becomes very clear that this is a hardware problem not
a software problem.

Any help is appreciated. My eyes hurt from looking at the MS knowledge
base and trying different google searches. I have gone from suspecting
the CD, to suspecting bad sectors on the harddrive, to suspecting the
CPU and memory clock speed (Which I tried lowering). I am left
suspecting the stick of memory I have and the motherboard. How can I
find out? Could this be caused by a bad stick of memory?

TIA
Old January 1st 04, 04:12 PM
Ken Fox

Happy New Year!

Google for memtest86 --- you will find a program for free download that goes
on a self booting floppy. Boot from this floppy but before doing so check
the bios settings for anything obviously wrong and also DISABLE "legacy USB
support." If Legacy USB is on Auto or simply enabled, the Memtest86 program
will hang due to a bug in the code of the program, not a problem with your
hardware.

Obvious memory problems will show up as errors during the FIRST pass. I
suggest you do maybe 4 passes, which might take an hour or two. The program
will keep cycling and there is no reason to keep it going after a certain
point.

If you see errors most probably there is a problem with either your RAM or
with the cache memory on your P4 chip.

Good luck,

ken

om...

Old January 1st 04, 07:24 PM
Roy Coorne

Dennis wrote:

History: This machine (Asus P4S800 2.6gzh P4 w/ 256m ddr400)
originally had Windows XP on it when I received it. But I quickly
discovered something was very wrong with the XP install. When I tried
to access anything related to the system (such as "Windows Update" or
add Users) I got the blue screen of death quoting STOP: 0x24 etc etc
regarding ntfs.sys. ...

Very strange, indeed. After having consulted

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888

I would check the following:

- The HDD with the appropriate tool (DFT from Hitachi/IBM etc.),
- Is the mainboard driver from the P4S800 CD installed?
- The RAM (see Ken Fox' posting)

If everything fails, I would do a fresh install of XP SP1 (or W2K SP4)
after a low-level formatting of the HD, starting with the minimal
configuration...

Roy

Old January 2nd 04, 12:32 AM
John Tindle

Betcha million $$$$ it's the RAM..

JT
System Builder

om...

Old January 2nd 04, 02:41 AM
Jim in Canada

Maybe go into the BIOS and make sure there are no overclocked settings.
Installing Windows on an overclocked system can cause many headaches.....

Jim

om...

Old January 2nd 04, 04:35 AM
John Tindle

Let's hope Dennis posts his findings..and what he did to get WIN2K
installed.
I've installed WIN2K 100's of times on different systems and nearly all
major installation problems were RAM related. (mis-matched or just bad...).
Since XP was a no go either - I'm sticking with the RAM..

JT

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
Or an insufficient power supply!

Steve

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:32:07 -0500, "John Tindle"
wrote:

Betcha million $$$$ it's the RAM..

JT
System Builder