cant get p4p800 working, multiple problems

Old December 29th 03, 03:17 PM
Roy Coorne

lucky wrote:

I found the below old posting and was wondering what you thought of it
and if it would be worth such an extreme measu

Your problem is that most of the settings in Device Manager,
particularly the System Devices tree, but also the controllers
and ports, and the network adapter if it was onboard
the old motherboard, are all related to the old motherboard.
You may even now have 2 sets of entries. Set #1 being a
leftover from the old motherboard, and Set #2, which are
the ones that you need, being based on the new motherboard.

You may find this difficult to swallow, but what you need to do
is to go through of those Device Manager entries and
remove them. ALL of them. Then load the chipset drivers
that came with your motherboard and reboot. Windows
will then detect and initialize the settings for your new board.

Then you should install your video drivers. As many modems
are not plug-and-play, you may then have to force-feed
your modem drivers to the PC.

After switching a motherboard, I do a repair installation of WinXP or
W2K, resp. - yes, for P4P8oo Win98 is a "legacy OS"!

Roy

Old December 29th 03, 04:27 PM
no_one

Check Master/Slave settings on the CD and the Drive that is on IDE2. If HD
Master/CD Slave doesn't work try the other way around.

"lucky" wrote in message
m...

After much fiddling, I got the c drive and cd working. Then I decided to
reinstall win 98 SE. I got windows to boot normally and haven't
touched a thing in bios so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I have to
reload a bunch of drivers because I got an initial bootup error about
child drivers or something like that. I just hope that reinstalling
drivers doesn't make things bad again.

Also I lost my secondary IDE after I put the cd drive back on it and
also my other HD so it must be a cable issue there.

Thanks for your suggestions.