Help: Onboard LAN on Asus P2B-L motherboard not working

Old November 9th 03, 04:04 AM
Buurin

Default Help: Onboard LAN on Asus P2B-L motherboard not working

Hi everyone,

I have a Asus P2B-L motherboard that has a failed onboard LAN (Intel
82558-based). Windows 2000 and XP and the onboard indicator lights all says
the network cable is disconnected (ie. link LED is never on), even though a
cable is plugged in. The switch I plugged it into is working perfectly. I
tested it with the diagnostic utility from Intel, ran and passed all tests
including loopback. Board otherwise runs OK.

I am desparately trying to verify if the LAN controller is faulty, or having
proved that, find out what is wrong.

I am crossposting this to sci.electronics.repair because I have a soldering
iron and have used it before on other P2B series boards, so given the right
pointers I can try component-level troubleshooting. I also got the 82558
chip's datasheet.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Keith