A7N8X Deluxe onboard LAN

Old October 14th 03, 11:11 PM
NOEL RAY

Default A7N8X Deluxe onboard LAN

This board has two onboard RJ-45 jacks for LAN. One is nVidia and the other
is 3COM. Does anyone have experience in using with a cable modem and local
network? Specifically, is there a preference as to which jack should be
used for Internet access?

The cable company set up the nVIDIA device as their connection.

Old October 15th 03, 12:27 AM
ned

No, either one will work fine although some will argue the nVidia NIC is
slightly faster. I am using the 3-com NIC to connect to an inexpensive
Linksys router which serves a gateway to a DSL modem internet
connection. That allows me to connect multiple workstations to a single
intennet connection.

Old October 15th 03, 07:21 AM
JonnyCab®

I'm using the nVidia jack directly to a Motorola SB5100 with Adelphia
Powerlink. It works fine.

I didn't try it with the 3Com jack, but I do notice one strange thing about
the 3Com controller---if I disable it, the board generates a *very* faint,
but noticeable, very-high-pitched whine. Disabling it in BIOS does the same
thing. After a while, it gets sort of irritating, so I just leave it
enabled for now.

I'm going to put a router between the modem and this machine, so I'm going
to do throughput tests on both jacks if I have the time.

I'll post results here if I do...

Old October 15th 03, 06:45 PM
ldg

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:11:20 GMT, "NOEL RAY"
wrote:

This board has two onboard RJ-45 jacks for LAN. One is nVidia and the other
is 3COM. Does anyone have experience in using with a cable modem and local
network? Specifically, is there a preference as to which jack should be
used for Internet access?

I hope you have better luck than I did. I started out with the 3com
port connected to my local lan and router. It became intermittent
after a few days, then failed. I switched to the nvidia port and only
one light lit. It never worked. Rather than spending more time on
this, I just disable both in the bios and installed a cheap lan card I
had laying around. It works without problems.

I'll eventually go back to the onboard ports when I have time, but am
dissappointed that something so simple could cost me so much effort.
Both onboard ports seem to be happy in the hardware monitor, but
neither worked with the lan. Well, I guess the 3com port worked for a
while . . .

Regards,
Larry
Old October 17th 03, 12:02 PM
Gernot Saborowski

ldg wrote:

I hope you have better luck than I did. I started out with the 3com
port connected to my local lan and router. It became intermittent
after a few days, then failed. I switched to the nvidia port and only
one light lit. It never worked. Rather than spending more time on
this, I just disable both in the bios and installed a cheap lan card I
had laying around. It works without problems.

I'll eventually go back to the onboard ports when I have time, but am
dissappointed that something so simple could cost me so much effort.
Both onboard ports seem to be happy in the hardware monitor, but
neither worked with the lan. Well, I guess the 3com port worked for a
while . . .

Larry,

sounds strange. I have this board running with DSL connected to the 3com
and the LAN connected to the nvidia without any problems...

Regards,

-Gernot

Old October 17th 03, 01:51 PM
mrdancer

"Gernot Saborowski" wrote in message
ldg wrote:

I hope you have better luck than I did. I started out with the 3com
port connected to my local lan and router. It became intermittent
after a few days, then failed. I switched to the nvidia port and only
one light lit. It never worked. Rather than spending more time on
this, I just disable both in the bios and installed a cheap lan card I
had laying around. It works without problems.

I'll eventually go back to the onboard ports when I have time, but am
dissappointed that something so simple could cost me so much effort.
Both onboard ports seem to be happy in the hardware monitor, but
neither worked with the lan. Well, I guess the 3com port worked for a
while . . .

sounds strange. I have this board running with DSL connected to the 3com
and the LAN connected to the nvidia without any problems...

FWIW, I have my LAN connected to the nvidia, and it works somewhat. I can
transfer files up to several megabytes, but when I tried transferring a 3GB
file, it just wouldn't do it - popped up with a message saying 'incorrect
parameters specified', even though it was just drag and drop. I'm not sure
where the limitation was.....