LITEON's dark secret?

Old February 4th 04, 01:15 AM
Stacey

MXC rules! wrote:

Some of us appreciate your efforts, but alas they are in vain.
The guy is anti-via, anti-amd, anti-MS, anti-SB, and anti-ati. If you
aren't running an intel with linux, an nvidia card and anything but a
soundblaster there's no way possible way your PC can work right.

Funny I'm using an AMD XP2100 with ATI card as we speak. My other box has a
SB card in it, although it would be nice if I could download -drivers- from
their web site.

Next?

--

Stacey
Old February 4th 04, 01:20 AM
Stacey

JonnyCab® wrote:

And she tells me that "I fail to understand" that "most" other people are
having problems.

If you counted all of the posts in those "forums", that count would be
about
1/100000 of the total number of boards sold. She just doesn't get the
math thing, so she assumes that 15 people complaining about "problems"
means that all 450,000 of those boards are having "problems".

http://www.usbnews.net/news/via_usb_...driver_110.htm

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/

Putting your head in the sand and personal attacks doesn't change the facts.
There are dozens of other sites pointing out other problems with these
chipsets, you just have been lucky.

--

Stacey
Old February 4th 04, 01:22 AM
Stacey

Silence Seeker wrote:

But if I am not mistaken the original poster said that it was *not*
DOA. It was a matter of a feature not working as advertised and the
lousy lite-on customer service simply ignored his inquiries (after
misleading him to ship the item for a "repair").

Perhaps he should have returned it to the retailer anyway? But then
what reason could he use? "Not as advertised"?

Or doesn't work correctly. If features it claims to have don't work, it's
broken.
--

Stacey
Old February 4th 04, 05:38 AM
JonnyCab®

Putting your head in the sand and personal attacks doesn't change the
facts.
There are dozens of other sites pointing out other problems with these
chipsets, you just have been lucky.

[sigh] In one ear, out the other. The math thing just doesn't sink in,
does it?

Old February 4th 04, 06:53 AM
Stacey

JonnyCab® wrote:

Putting your head in the sand and personal attacks doesn't change the

facts.
There are dozens of other sites pointing out other problems with these
chipsets, you just have been lucky.

[sigh] In one ear, out the other. The math thing just doesn't sink in,
does it?

??? These are documented problems with their products, doesn't that sink in?
Who's talking about numbers of people complaining on a newsgroup vs boards
sold? I'm talking about known problems with their products.
--

Stacey
Old February 4th 04, 10:07 PM
JonnyCab®

??? These are documented problems with their products, doesn't that sink
in?
Who's talking about numbers of people complaining on a newsgroup vs boards
sold? I'm talking about known problems with their products.

One more time, slowly. If I can put together over 100 (actually, closer to
200) computers with VIA chipsets and not have any problems, I couldn't care
*less* how many people complain about them in forums. I have one web server
with dual PIII 1.13GHz Tualitins on a Tyan Tiger 200T board that's been
running for almost six months without a reboot, problem, or even a hiccup.

And again, you don't seem to take into account how many of these people
PROBABLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, or have something set incorrectly,
or didn't even BOTHER to read a manual. The fact they're complaining does
not make them right and the manufacturer automatically wrong. My experience
is that the OPPOSITE is true.

You can post 187 different links, and that will not change the fact that VIA
chipsets have NEVER given me any problems, all the way back to my first
non-Intel machine, an Epox MVP3-GM and a K62-400.

So please step away from the forums and find a *life* somewhere. shaking
my head at your ceaseless gullibility

Hasta so longa.

Old February 4th 04, 11:10 PM
Richard Alexander

(No Longer a LiteOn Customer) wrote in message . com...
For a long while I thought one can never go wrong with purchasing
Lite-On products.

You are delusional if you believe that is true of any company,
especially a Taiwanese discounter like Lite-On. Really, what were you
thinking? This is discount electronics we are talking about, not BMW
or Rolls-Royce. IMO, one of the best, if not the best, quality
manufacturer is IBM, and they have shipped massive quantities of
defective products (they had a major issue with one of their hard
drive lines a few years ago). No company can prevent an occasional
lemon from rolling off the line.

That is why all the CD/DVD drives in my PCs are from
Lite-On (4 of them).

Sounds like a great record. I have a Philips 4x CD-RW and a BTC
DVD-ROM drive. I would not go out of my way to buy either of them,
though I've never had any trouble out of them.

So, it was only natural that when time came to
purchase a "consumer type" DVD player, I didn't think twice before
purchasing the Lite-On LVD-2001.

That would be another mistake on your part. My advice is to check
reviews and collect opinions before making any important purchase.

All seemed well, until I discovered that one of the functions is not
working as advertised and I needed Lite-On's customer service... It
has been quite a frustrating experience.

As far as I can tell, that is true of any Taiwanese-based company.
What else would you expect? They barely make a profit and they are a
foreign outfit. Customer service is one of the weakest areas of most
companies, much less discount companies.

They seem to consistently reply with ambigous and evasive answers.

Typical of electronics/discounter service.

Try getting help from AOL sometime.

I ended up filing a complaint with the BBB and I will probably hear
from them soon.

That looks appropriate. I expect poor service from discounters, but
that doesn't mean that I tolerate it.

But for the benefit of all, I thought you may want to
know who you are dealing with.

I can't believe everyone would not already know.

So, I sympathize with your trouble, I disapprove of what Lite-On has
done, but I can't believe that you could be surprised.
Old April 14th 04, 07:17 PM
GMAN

In article , "Sly" wrote:

"Alan Hancock" wrote in message
. com...
"Sly" wrote in message

. I intend to stop
purchasing Lite-On products because of their "customer service".

And I bet Lite-On couldnt have asked for a better outcome, buy a decent

dvd
in the first place!!

I am not so sure about this. I was looking to buy a DVD player and was
considering a liteon, but this posting convinced me to stay away from
it. I absolutely consider service as part of product quality.
Especially when it costs over $100.

Not sure whats the case in the US, but when you purchase something in the
UK, your "contract" is with the retailer you bought the product off, NOT the
manufacturer.Theres no reason at all that you should have to talk to the
manufacturer, The retailers contract is with the manufacturer. I couldnt
give a crap what the manufacturers do or say, if its broke, i take it
straight back to where i bought it.

That is completely unfair to the retailer since they had NO hand in the
manufacture and as such no hand in the issues with the device. In the USA the
retailer is just the middleman who sells the item to the consumer.

No wonder you britts pay out your arses for hardware.

If a product you bought after March last year develops a fault within the
first 6 months, then it is automatically assumed that this fault was there
when it was purchased and its upto the retailer to prove it wasnt!! you have
the right to request a new product or a refund from the RETAILER.

All the above is as i said for the UK,

Old April 14th 04, 10:42 PM
Bas Ruiter

That is completely unfair to the retailer since they had NO hand in the
manufacture and as such no hand in the issues with the device. In the USA the
retailer is just the middleman who sells the item to the consumer.

Over here (and in the UK) they're the middleman too.

But the way it works is, you just go back up the chain:
Faulty goods - bring it back to the store. If it's in stock you get it
replaced. The store contacts his supplier, and he gets it replaced there
(or refunded). Etc.

As a consumer, I dont want to bother with some company on the other side
of the country (if in the country at all). If I bought my stuff at Joe's
down the corner, that's where I wanna go if there's a problem.

Old April 15th 04, 04:41 AM
gothika

"Sly" wrote in message

[...]

NO! The retailer is responsible for the quality of the product they
sell, it's the law.
They must stand accountable for ANY product they sell.
Especially after their sales pitches about how great the product is.
For you to make such a statement is telling. You must be in the retail
business yourself.