4-8x agp video card on older 2-4 agp motherboard?

Old October 26th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Roger Wilkerson

Default 4-8x agp video card on older 2-4 agp motherboard?

Is anyone run an 8x agp video card on an older 4x agp motherboard slot?
I can''t seem to get a straigt answer from ATI or ASUS.

Old October 26th 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Michael W. Ryder

Roger Wilkerson wrote:
Is anyone run an 8x agp video card on an older 4x agp motherboard slot?
I can''t seem to get a straigt answer from ATI or ASUS.

I have run an ATI 9600 and 9700 Pro (both 8x) video cards on a P4T-E
(Asus 4x AGP) motherboard. Never had any problems.
Old October 26th 06, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Roger Wilkerson

Michael, any idea why I can't get my x850 to run? When I boot up with
it in, after loading windows, the screen goes blank. Can't do anything
but power off. When I replace it with the Radeon 8500, it will boot
right up without any problems.

On Oct 25, 5:15 pm, "Michael W. Ryder"
wrote:
Roger Wilkerson wrote:
Is anyone run an 8x agp video card on an older 4x agp motherboard slot?
I can''t seem to get a straigt answer from ATI or ASUS.I have run an ATI 9600 and 9700 Pro (both 8x) video cards on a P4T-E

(Asus 4x AGP) motherboard. Never had any problems.

Old October 26th 06, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/d...tionID=1 8872

Yes, it will work. If the screen goes blank *after* Windows has finished
to do with incompatible AGP voltage. Probably a driver issue.

1. Try using the other monitor port on the back of the card.
2. Try booting into Safe Mode. If that works, install the Catalyst drivers
under Safe Mode.

oups.com...

Old October 26th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Frodo

I would say 99% percent of the X8 AGP cards also work at AGP X4
Does the X850 come with the secondary power connection?
If so, is it plugged in?
(Could be a 4 or 6 pin connection)

ups.com...

Old October 28th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mark

Yes I'm successfully running an x850 in an Intel 850emv mobo (agp 4x
max). Are you getting any video at all at bios boot? My old 8500
would not show any video at all up to the point of the windows loading
screen.

Old October 28th 06, 07:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Mark

I have to agree it sounds like a driver problem. For sure you've
tried it with the native xp driver?