Which Catalyst drivers and MMC do I need?!?!?

Old January 9th 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default Which Catalyst drivers and MMC do I need?!?!?

Hi everyone, and happy NEW YEAR!
Now my question/rant.....
I have an AIW 9000 currently running the disk supplied drivers and MMC it is
MMC 8.1 How the heck are you supposed to know what MMC you can use and what
is Catalyst? I have tried to update before, (disaster, went back to the disk
supplied drivers and MMC) and am really amazed with all the ATI drivers
available, that they do not have a system like microsoft update that detects
your chip and then recommends which drivers to use. They also say to run the
new (which I guess means the latest MMC you have to order a freaking disk!)
what a crock. I have been a faithful user of ATI products for years, but if
they don't get their driver crap together, I will buy a NVIDIA based video
card and then just add a Hauppauge TV card.
ANY help is GREATLY appreciated......I guess I am running a "legacy" product
so I'm not important anymore, or they are just making it difficult so I'll
buy NEW, well that isn't going to happen!
Thanks in advance,
Bitsbucket

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0602-0, 01/09/2006
Tested on: 1/9/2006 5:45:51 PM

Old January 10th 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"Bitsbucket" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

First off the only reason to get a new disc is to upgrade the DVD player, or
if you lost the disc. ATI's player isn't very good so if you wanted to
upgrade it, you'd probably want a 3rd party player anyway. DVD Player
includes the MPG2 codec so you need one installed.

To upgrade drivers just go to the Customer Care page in the column at the
far left click on Drivers and Software Your operating system(XP in my
case) All-in-Wonder Radeon Catalyst 5.13

Basically the Cats are the hardware drivers (MMC is the software). They are
for all Radeons. It will install the correct display drivers for your card.
If you look at the Low Speed downloads, these 3 files are what's in the High
Speed download file.
The WDM integrated drivers are the capture drivers for the AIW.
Display Drivers are for the video card.
Catalyst Control Center(CCC) is what's used to control the display drivers.
Read all of the release note and install in the proper order. Then install
files on MMC page in the proper order. Since you've already had problems it
may be a good idea to use the Cat Uninstaller to clean things out before
starting.

The fly in the ointment at the moment is if you use the CCC you have to have
M$'s .net. Which you can get by updating Windows. If you click on the
Previous drivers you may be able to get a version that doesn't need CCC(uses
Control Panel instead). 5.10 and IIRC 5.11 don't require CCC. What you see
on that page may depend on whether your registered or not. BTW Cat releases
are listed by year and month of release. the Dec 2004 release is 4.12, Jan
2005 is 5.1. This year ATI has a bonus 5.13 release.

Good Luck

Old January 10th 06, 12:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

[...]

Firstly I agree that ATIs drivers are very poor and my next card will
definitely be Nvidia too. As far as updating drivers are concerned its only
really necessary if the new drivers fix a problem youre having so if your
card works fine then stick with original disc and save the pennies for your
next card. The fact that the DVD player update requires an original CD and
cant simply detect that you have an AIW card is just bloody stupidity by
ATI. Ive had a Geforce2 then ATI 9100 then Geforce4 then ATI 9700 - Ive also
used an AIW9700 Pro and compared it with a separate TV card (a £30 nicam
stereo job). Nvidias drivers are generally more reliable in my experience
and the MMC software is a pain in the ass plus the image quality of TV
through an AIW is pretty ordinary. I just took the AIW 9700 PRO out of my
brothers PC and fitted a 6800 as he's decided to ditch ATI and we're both
very impressed with the new card and he's happy with the simplicity of
Nvidias drivers. He's played COD2, Q4 and FEAR with the new card with great
results and no problems. The final straw is that ATI is trying to force the
Catalyst Control Centre on all customers and its pure bloatware.

Old January 10th 06, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Thanks for all the help, I got it figured out, but definitely will be
dropping ATI next time in favor of nVidia, and a Hauppauge TV card.....
Thanks a million!
bitsbucket

[...]

Virus Database (VPS): 0602-1, 01/09/2006
Tested on: 1/10/2006 10:46:18 AM