Question about redundant power supplies

Old April 23rd 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

Default Question about redundant power supplies

Hi all.. Seems busy in here lately.. Anyway, just a quick question about
redundant power supplies on any Proliants (since I suspect they'll all
pretty much act the same).. I've got a 6400R with dual supplies and I stumbled
across a HP page that had power calculators (in excel) where you could tell it
what sort of processors you've got, how much RAM, how many drive bays are
populated and what sort of power supplies you're using (single or double) and
it will spit out the power consumption in terms of watts, amps, BTU's for heat
output, etc.

If what that spreadsheet indicates is correct, having the redundant power
supply plugged in isn't really running it per-se as much as keep it ready
just in case. I guess I was thinking that since each power supply (for the
6400 anyway) is 450W, that it *might* use as much as 900 watts total if both
supplies were actually on at the same time. However, in my configuration,
I'm using (more or less) ~415W of power and going from 1 supply to 2 doesn't
even bump that number.. Does this seem reasonable without actually measuring
the true consumption with a meter? Just thought I'd check if I was out to
lunch or not..

Thanks!

Old April 23rd 07, 11:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Rick F." wrote
[...]

The power consumption of a server remains the same whether on 1 or 2 power
supplies. For a power supply to be redundant, it has to be online and able
to provide 100% of the servers power needs virtually immeduately, so when
they're redundant, each power supply should be running at just under 50%
capacity.

Make sense?

Old April 23rd 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
msg

Jez T wrote:

The power consumption of a server remains the same whether on 1 or 2 power
supplies.

How so? Each power supply includes circuitry for its control and monitoring,
fans, and other power consuming components; surely running additional supplies
increases total power consumption.

Regards,

Michael
Old April 24th 07, 12:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-04-23, Jez T wrote:

The power consumption of a server remains the same whether on 1 or 2 power
supplies. For a power supply to be redundant, it has to be online and able
to provide 100% of the servers power needs virtually immeduately, so when
they're redundant, each power supply should be running at just under 50%
capacity.

Make sense?

Sounds reasonable I guess.. Unfortunately, I can't test the theory right now
since my redundant supply is DOA and needs to be fixed/replaced (likely to be
replaced since they're so cheap)

Old April 24th 07, 10:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

On 2007-04-23, Jez T wrote:

The power consumption of a server remains the same whether on 1 or 2

power
supplies. For a power supply to be redundant, it has to be online and

able
to provide 100% of the servers power needs virtually immeduately, so

when
they're redundant, each power supply should be running at just under 50%
capacity.

Make sense?

Sounds reasonable I guess.. Unfortunately, I can't test the theory right

now
since my redundant supply is DOA and needs to be fixed/replaced (likely to

be
replaced since they're so cheap)

Rick,
Two supplies will increase the current, but only slightly. The additional
fan of the added supply consumes the most extra power but that's not much,
the electronics will not consume enough to talk about. Jez T is correct in
that the server load will be divided equally between the two supplies so the
total power consumption of the server "proper" remains the same. Bottom
line, you are adding one low current fan to the mix, not much for the added
security.

If you are concerned with power consumption, the single largest consumption
of power that can be modified will be the CPU's. Chop it from four down to
two and save a bunch. Remember, should you remove a cpu or two you have to
install/plug in a terminator in it's place, Also be sure to unplug both
power cords before removing or installing them.

Oh, I never heard any more from you on those 4200/4300 enclosures. I'm
getting ready to put a bunch of them (all flavors) on Ebay.
Phil

Old April 24th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-04-24, Phil wrote:

Two supplies will increase the current, but only slightly. The additional
fan of the added supply consumes the most extra power but that's not much,
the electronics will not consume enough to talk about. Jez T is correct in
that the server load will be divided equally between the two supplies so the
total power consumption of the server "proper" remains the same. Bottom
line, you are adding one low current fan to the mix, not much for the added
security.

Sounds good..

If you are concerned with power consumption, the single largest consumption
of power that can be modified will be the CPU's. Chop it from four down to
two and save a bunch. Remember, should you remove a cpu or two you have to
install/plug in a terminator in it's place, Also be sure to unplug both
power cords before removing or installing them.

I was just curious how the redundancy worked more or less.. I realize that I'm
probably paying around $40/mo to run this thing if my poor math is correct..
We're about to start a remodel and I may either need to relocate this darned
server to somewhere else for 4-6 months or shut it down completely during
the remodel.. I think my brother may be able to shove it somewhere in his
garage and get network access via wifi, but I'm not sure if I want to do that
or not.. I looked into taking it to a local place that does on-site hosting
so I could plug it into their network and power but it was going to cost about
$600/mo.. Sheesh.. No thanks! If I disable the server than I guess I'll have
to forward all email,etc.. What a pain..

Oh, I never heard any more from you on those 4200/4300 enclosures. I'm
getting ready to put a bunch of them (all flavors) on Ebay.

At this point, I'm in no hurry and will likely just wait for a while until after
the remodel to do this.. Thanks for reminding me though..

Old April 25th 07, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

On 2007-04-24, Phil wrote:

[...]

40 is rather high unless you have every option that can be had. If it is 4
cpu, and in your case you don't need them, remove two cpu's and insert
terminators in their place and power cost is usually 17ish a month average.
That 6400 pulls a little less than the DL580 even with 4 gig of ram. That
unit will also run on 1 cpu for even more savings.
I may have terminators if you need them.
Phil

Old April 26th 07, 01:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-04-25, Phil wrote:

40 is rather high unless you have every option that can be had. If it is 4
cpu, and in your case you don't need them, remove two cpu's and insert
terminators in their place and power cost is usually 17ish a month average.
That 6400 pulls a little less than the DL580 even with 4 gig of ram. That
unit will also run on 1 cpu for even more savings.
I may have terminators if you need them.

That $40 figure was a high-wild guess based on the max 450w power supply
figure.. I do have quad CPU's and find them very peppy and could scale
back to a couple if needed since I do have a bag full of terminators and
space CPU's (550Mhz & 500Mhz models).. I might try that when its time to
take the machine down.. Thanks!

Old April 26th 07, 09:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Phil

Rick,
Some OS and/or versions won't utilize all 4 cpu's anyway. Check your OS.
Phil

Old April 26th 07, 04:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Rick F.

On 2007-04-26, Phil wrote:
Rick,
Some OS and/or versions won't utilize all 4 cpu's anyway. Check your OS.

Thanks Phil.. I'm actually running Fedora Core 6 and it is definitely using
all 4 cpu's as shown below :

top - 08:32:43 up 6 days, 8:27, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.01, 0.00
Tasks: 160 total, 1 running, 157 sleeping, 1 stopped, 1 zombie
Cpu0 : 0.8%us, 0.2%sy, 0.6%ni, 98.3%id, 0.2%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu1 : 0.1%us, 0.1%sy, 0.1%ni, 99.6%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu2 : 0.1%us, 0.1%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.8%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Cpu3 : 0.5%us, 0.1%sy, 0.1%ni, 99.3%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 1451184k total, 1413872k used, 37312k free, 309148k buffers
Swap: 4096532k total, 3264k used, 4093268k free, 711484k cached

I'd bet that I probably could remove 2 of the processors and likely not really
notice any difference.. Perhaps I'll try that this weekend if I've got some time.