Is the Geforce 6200 256 Good for Age of Empires III?

Old October 22nd 05, 04:05 AM

Default Is the Geforce 6200 256 Good for Age of Empires III?

I was looking at this one from newegg.com:

XFX PVT44AWAMG Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Model #: PVT44AWAMG
Item #: N82E16814150107

I only have $100.00. I can wait and save, if I have to. I want the
best from my RTS games. Sorry, don't do a lot of FPS, so Doom and the
like do not factor in. I know that nVidia recommends the 6800, but
that is way outside my price range. Also, is the difference between
128 versus 256 discernable with the human eye? Am I just paying for a
number that I really can't tell the difference with?

Thank you for any help.

Old October 22nd 05, 04:36 AM
Ramin

Hello sir,

I did a quick search for you and I think you should be to enjoy the game:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc0

Please note that, according to this article, the author was able to play
DOOM 3 just fine. But AOE III uses less resources than DOOM III and similar
games.

Hope you have a fast CPU though.

128 vs 256 when playing AOE III? Hmmm....not too sure...don't think it would
be noticeable.

Good luck

oups.com...

Old October 22nd 05, 04:59 AM

So you think the Geforce 6600 128 would be good or would that be like a
Geforce 6200 256? Thanks again.

Old October 22nd 05, 10:07 AM
deimos

wrote:
So you think the Geforce 6600 128 would be good or would that be like a
Geforce 6200 256? Thanks again.

Large amounts of RAM are a common marketing gimmick with low end cards.
They do not specifically benefit from it, nor will you be able to see
a difference between a 6200 128MB and 256MB version in most circumstances.

Also, the larger RAM sometimes is used to hide shortcomings with that
particular version. For example, a 64-bit bus instead of a 128, or
reduced clock speeds, or even the new "TurboCache" gimmick.

Chaintech even has a passively cooled 512MB 6200, but it has only a
64-bit bus! Completely stupid.

Further research on the XFX website shows that this particular card only
has a 64-bit bus. Here's the base model page:

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/...ation Id=1058

In fact in the quick search I just did, I only found one 128-bit 6200 in
your range:

Now notice that you're getting to that 100.00 mark and over in order to
get a decent version of that card. So 70 for a 64-bit, 100 for a
128-bit. Not a very good deal eh? Well if you do feel like spending
roughly 100+, then you can look at 6600's which are a great value and
start at 113.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m it=Property

Any of these will be far faster than a 6200 and are definitely worth
considering if you want a decent card. Otherwise, if you're going to
get a 64-bit, get the absolute cheapest one you can, forego the memory
size, but still ignore TurboCache.
Old October 22nd 05, 07:23 PM

Thank you. I spoke to some guy today and he said that because I had an
AMD 2500XP that I should get a 128 because my computer could not "fill
up" the 256 and it would cause my games to lag. Is that true? What is
he talking about?

Thanks again for being helpful.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:33 AM
Alceryes

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you. I spoke to some guy today and he said that because I had an
AMD 2500XP that I should get a 128 because my computer could not "fill
up" the 256 and it would cause my games to lag. Is that true? What is
he talking about?

Thanks again for being helpful.

Whether or not you will fill up your video RAM has nothing to do with what
type of processor you have. It's dependant largely on what resolution you
play at and what eye-candy settings you are using.
But to answer your question, no, your computer will not lag if it can't
"fill up" the 256. It will, however, lag if it fills up the 128 and needs
more (having to use some slower system memory). There is no downside to
getting the 256MB version (except cost).
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

Old October 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
Larry Roberts

On 21 Oct 2005 20:05:46 -0700, wrote:

I was looking at this one from newegg.com:

XFX PVT44AWAMG Geforce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
Model #: PVT44AWAMG
Item #: N82E16814150107

I only have $100.00. I can wait and save, if I have to. I want the
best from my RTS games. Sorry, don't do a lot of FPS, so Doom and the
like do not factor in. I know that nVidia recommends the 6800, but
that is way outside my price range. Also, is the difference between
128 versus 256 discernable with the human eye? Am I just paying for a
number that I really can't tell the difference with?

Thank you for any help.

You wanna be careful here. There are 64bit, and 128bit memory
bus versions of this card. You'll wanna stay clear of the 64bit as it
is half the performance of a full 128bit card. Of all the 128bit cards
I've seen, they usally have fans cause they would overheat running at
full speed, but there are 64bit cards with fans as well.
The only AGP 6200 with a` 128bit bus listed at Newegg is this
MSI for a $106.00.
This looks to be a 6200 based on the NV43 core which is the 6600's
core. You can unlock the 4 masked pipes, and have a 6600. Nvidia
replaced the 6200's NV43 core with an NV44A to lower the cost. Those
new cores come on 64bit memory buses, and have no masked pipes to
unlock.
However... If your gona try to unlock the extra pipes on a
NV43 based 6200 to score a 6600 like card, for $7.00 more you can get
a true 6600.

If you save an extra $50.00, you can get a 6600GT.